Chapala.com Webboard

Combed cotton vs Jacquard

ComputerGuy

Here's one that only experience can answer: I lost my fabulous lifetime beach towel in Barra de Navidad, and am having a heckuva time replacing it. (I will be ordering from Amazon.) The towel was soft and water absorbent on both sides.

When I bought a replacement by ordering from CostCo (Lakeside Shopping Services), I couldn't touch it until I got it. Both sides of the towel are raised loops. The kind that may be fine for lieing on, but useless for absorbing water. The label says "100% Pima cotton loops". The definitions I find online are difficult to decipher.

Since all the loops are full-colour, does that mean jacquard? (It is striped.) Or is jacquard always a pattern or picture? And more to the point, is combed cotton better than jacquard for water absorption?

Thanks in advance for your insight.

The reason I mentioned Jacquard in reference to color is that the definition of jacquard means all fabric loops contain the image, as opposed to being stamped on.

Thanks, guys, I already looked all this up. Now, who knows what I am talking about?

I did not know there is two different parts to a towel, the loops and the ground. The different parts can be the same or different fabric. Here some interesting reading about the labeling. 

https://www.ftc.gov/tips-advice/business-center/guidance/calling-it-cotton-labeling-advertising-cotton-products

The towel I think has the best water absorption is a microfiber bath towel.

Sorry, if you had already read this link and  if this is not helpful. 

Jacquard is a type of fabric with an intricately woven pattern. The pattern is not embroidered but woven directly into the fabric. Available in many styles and colors, Jacquard has varying finesse as per the quality of fabric used. Jacquard is woven on a special loom, which also produces other fabrics like brocade and damask.

This is in no way the same as (Pima) cotton "loops"

1 hour ago, Tiny said:

I did not know there is two different parts to a towel, the loops and the ground. The different parts can be the same or different fabric. Here some interesting reading about the labeling. 

https://www.ftc.gov/tips-advice/business-center/guidance/calling-it-cotton-labeling-advertising-cotton-products

The towel I think has the best water absorption is a microfiber bath towel.

Sorry, if you had already read this link and  if this is not helpful. 

Thanks, Tiny, you are a considerate guy. Interesting read. Well, regarding microfiber, yech. I mean, great for some things like cleaning eyeglasses, but not for beaches...

12 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

Thanks, Tiny, you are a considerate guy. Interesting read. Well, regarding microfiber, yech. I mean, great for some things like cleaning eyeglasses, but not for beaches...

Check out Vianney. I have a full size bath towel that is microfiber.

I hate when that kind of thing happens: losing your one-and-only love of a lifetime is tough.  

There's a booth at the Tianguis del Sol in GDL--out on Tepayac past Chapalita, near Copernicus, open Weds, Fri, and Sunday--that only sells towels.  The prices are good and I've purchased a couple that I've liked very much.  YMMV of course, CG. 

I bought an enormous pale blue heavy duty very absorbent cotton bath sheet from them, love it.  The brand is Sahara, made in Jalisco. 

They also have beach towels.

7 hours ago, More Liana said:

I hate when that kind of thing happens: losing your one-and-only love of a lifetime is tough.  

There's a booth at the Tianguis del Sol in GDL--out on Tepayac past Chapalita, near Copernicus, open Weds, Fri, and Sunday--that only sells towels.  The prices are good and I've purchased a couple that I've liked very much.  YMMV of course, CG. 

I bought an enormous pale blue heavy duty very absorbent cotton bath sheet from them, love it.  The brand is Sahara, made in Jalisco. 

They also have beach towels.

Thanks. Good advice, and sounds like an interesting place.

31 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

Thanks. Good advice, and sounds like an interesting place.

You haven't yet been to the Tianguis del Sol?  Oh my god, you are going to go nuts, CG.  Get there around 10AM on Wednesday, Friday, or Sunday, plan to spend the entire morning or more, it's enormous.  There's on-site parking.  And if you get in the mood for a shrimp cocktail, look for the stand called El Ostión Feliz.  Best shrimp cocktail in Mexico, bar none.  As good or better a coctel de camarón as Taco Fish La Paz is with fish tacos.  PLEASE tell doña Rosario that I said hello--tell her the woman who brought the El Mural reporters to eat at her puesto.  I miss her, I miss sitting around her stand gossiping, and I miss her coctel de camarón.  Her salsas--swoon.  She sells jars of salsa, and I always bought her salsa with sesame seeds, makes smoke come out your ears but boy is your mouth happy.
http://mexicocooks.typepad.com/mexico_cooks/2008/06/mexico-cooks-shows-guadalajara-to-guadalajarans.html

Try to go on a Friday.  Every day is great, but Friday is the best IMHO.  The clothing dealers--new and used clothing that comes from the USA in huge bales--bring the new bales to unpack on Friday.  I've bought things that that blew my mind: a brand-new pair of my-size suede Birkenstocks, tags still attached, for 80 pesos, for example.  That bath towel I mentioned, also 80 pesos.  Sweaters for 8 pesos.  Bras for 50 pesos, major brand name and brand new, hang tags still attached.  100% cotton sheet sets still in the original packaging for 100 pesos.  And clothing!  Men, women, children's clothing for centavos to the peso, including the highest-end labels you can think of.  There's one dealer who specializes in stuff like Ferragamo.  The prices are probably higher now, but compared to retail?  And brands you can't ever find in your size in Mexico?

Of course there are zillions of stands selling fruit, vegetables, meats, fish, prepared food to eat there or take out--you name it, it's there.

The Tianguis del Sol is one of the main things I miss in Guadalajara.  I went every Friday of the world and loved every minute of it.

Wow, thanks for the illuminating notes. Nope, never even heard of it. Now I know better.

I grew up in a land where six cold, medium-sized shrimp, served on a bed of iceburg lettucs with a pot of cocktail sauce in the middle, is the norm. Boring and expensive. Coctel de camarón was the first snack I ever had in Mexico, 20 years ago now. It was in Tonala, and it blew my mind. Served in one of those big round glasses that I can never remember the name of, with what felt like thousands of shrimp.

It all sounds like a great day trip.

1 minute ago, ComputerGuy said:

Wow, thanks for the illuminating notes. Nope, never even heard of it. Now I know better.

I grew up in a land where six cold, medium-sized shrimp, served on a bed of iceburg lettucs with a pot of cocktail sauce in the middle, is the norm. Boring and expensive. Coctel de camarón was the first snack I ever had in Mexico, 20 years ago now. It was in Tonala, and it blew my mind. Served in one of those big round glasses that I can never remember the name of, with what felt like thousands of shrimp.

It all sounds like a great day trip.

Report back, please!

8 minutes ago, Ferret said:

Vuelve a la Vida? That's my favourite...

Ya, raw oysters! Haven't had one since I was evacuated to Texas and spent six days in the hospital after eating one.

I bought the package of 2 Superior bath towels on Amazon. mx. They are very heavy and thick and cost less than the same towels on Amazon USA.  Superior has beach towels, but the bath towels are long enough to use on the beach.

https://www.amazon.com.mx/s/ref=sr_nr_n_0?fst=as%3Aoff&rh=n%3A9482593011%2Cp_4%3ASuperior%2Cn%3A!9482594011%2Cn%3A9756950011&bbn=9482594011&ie=UTF8&qid=1530108687&rnid=9482594011

8 minutes ago, AngusMactavish said:

Ya, raw oysters! Haven't had one since I was evacuated to Texas and spent six days in the hospital after eating one.

But you returned to life right? There is only one way to eat oysters and that's raw with a lemon squeeze. My other favourite place to eat them was at the Olde Union Oyster House in Boston. Oysters Rockefeller will do in a pinch. I guess you don't do ceviche either?

1 minute ago, Ferret said:

But you returned to life right?

Yes, but was told when admitted that I was hours from death. Please don't justify eating raw oysters in the tropics to New England's offerings.

I wouldn't call this the tropics by any means. Fresh is the most important. I'm sorry you had that experience. All my hubby's kids got salmonella food poisoning eating turkey in the Cayman's one Christmas. It can happen anywhere and with any food.

Now that is funny Angus. Fresh is fresh... and proper handling and cold storage are of paramount importance. Doesn't matter where they're harvested.

And turkeys aren't found wild in the Cayman's either.

Fine. Don't include the previous sentence whatever you do. BTW, those kids don't eat any turkey any more no matter what its origin either, so I understand your reticence. Have a nice cozy rainy day!

In Barra and Melaque, kids run up and down the beach selling fresh oysters and clams. They will open up the oysters for you and serve them on a tray with lemon, etc, for $150p/dozen. I just get them to bring them to me in my fave restaurant and the kitchen staff deep fries them for me, battered.  I do not like them raw, either combed cotton or jacquard.

Archived