Chapala.com Webboard

RELIABLE HANDYMAN NEEDED

We've been using the same handyman/electrician/plumber for years, and he's a nice guy who does good work, but in the last year he's become busy enough that we can't rely on him to show up when he says he will.  "Not show up" means not show up at all, not call or nada.  The time has come to seek a more reliable person for the kind of odd jobs that people stop doing themselves as the years add up.  Ladder work, etc.

Anyone have a recommendation?  Much appreciated.  Hopefully, someone you've used on a fairly regular basis.

13 hours ago, AngusMactavish said:

Filtering my contacts with the word reliable nets zero results. It also may be the hesitation to recommend anyone. Viva Mexico!

Okay, I cry "uncle".  But you know how it is:  Hope springs.  I already have "unreliable" but at least he's skilled.

56 minutes ago, gringal said:

Okay, I cry "uncle".  But you know how it is:  Hope springs.  I already have "unreliable" but at least he's skilled.

I too would like a "handyman" for the dumb little things. You're one up on me Gringal… I had "sort of reliable" and "sort of skilled". Frustrating to be sure.

And Angus hit it on the head, too: I am hesitant to recommend anyone in case they screw up, putting another dent in either a friendship or a reputation. Ferret and I have been through this; the good news is, we both know we mean well, lol.

I thought of recommending one of my two, BUT then I remembered that the first guy took 2 months before he remembered to come to get payment for the work he'd done--and we owed him about 2000 pesos! And the second guy is known as "X the Inevitable" because he WILL show up, it's just a question of when--his record is a mere 2 weeks. I think one of the problems is that emergency jobs--no water, no electricity, toilet won't flush--take precedence over other work.

31 minutes ago, angela04101 said:

I've had a very reliable handyman for several years, can fix nearly anything, speaks English, pleasant to work with, give him a call: Chuy Lopez, lives in Ajijic. Phone: 333 137 1056

Thank you very much !!🙂

1 hour ago, ibarra said:

gringal, if you use him, and you feel it appropriate, please report in so we know what to expect.  He may end up being a very, very busy person!

But, but, but............if I do, and he's good, then he'll get too busy to work for all-important ME ME ME !😁

Just kidding.  I will report back if appropriate.

We paid 90 pesos per hour for our handyman last month.  He brought a "maestro" who charged 100 pesos per hour.  However, as you can see from my previous post, I am curious how the suggested handyman works out...(need I say more?).

My worker Chuy does a lot for me, so it was easier on both of us to set him up with a monthly payment, 3000p which covers all his labor  for the month - for gardening, handyman fixes, plumbing and electrical, cleaning the tinaco, cleaning the fountain, even car washes, and that has worked well for me. This is all for labor, and I pay for whatever materials he needs for the job, if anything. If he's doing a bigger job - new construction, roof re-coating - we price it per the job and negotiate a fixed price. Once he knows he can rely on you - he's been stiffed by many gringos (and some Mexicans) - I would recommend the monthly payment if you have several/a lot of jobs that need doing. He works really fast-but-good, so it's to both your and his advantage.

22 minutes ago, angela04101 said:

My worker Chuy does a lot for me, so it was easier on both of us to set him up with a monthly payment, 3000p which covers all his labor  for the month - for gardening, handyman fixes, plumbing and electrical, cleaning the tinaco, cleaning the fountain, even car washes, and that has worked well for me. This is all for labor, and I pay for whatever materials he needs for the job, if anything. If he's doing a bigger job - new construction, roof re-coating - we price it per the job and negotiate a fixed price. Once he knows he can rely on you - he's been stiffed by many gringos (and some Mexicans) - I would recommend the monthly payment if you have several/a lot of jobs that need doing. He works really fast-but-good, so it's to both your and his advantage.

I don't need that much work done around here; basically looking for someone to call on the occasions when I need an odd job like patching a leak in the roof or doing the ladder work in the yard trimming up high.  A little painting/patching.  How much do you think would be acceptable on an hourly basis?  I appreciate the referral.

I would talk to him, I stay out of saying what he charges; I know that he is less expensive than most. If you need a per job basis, he would need to see what you need and price it accordingly. I started hiring him after getting exorbitant estimates for work from others and he's kept his fees low for me ever since 2013. 

On 6/29/2018 at 4:35 PM, gringal said:

But, but, but............if I do, and he's good, then he'll get too busy to work for all-important ME ME ME !😁

That is why I have not shared the names of the workers I use. Also, they have not been exposed to gringo pay. My wife pays them. HHOK

So far, I've paid workers or contractors based on a flat fee basis.  For instance, I use Spring Clean for cleaning service on a bi-weekly basis:  2 cleaning people for 4 hours, including supplies.  The flat fee I'm charged includes the business owner's cut along with the general overhead, so I have no idea what the maids are being paid individually.  I'd appreciate anyone sharing what they pay occasional workers by the hour.  No need to share names of workers.

2 hours ago, AngusMactavish said:

I'd appreciate you sharing what your maid service costs.

The way the cost to the customer works is this:  The Jefa, Letitia, comes to your house and estimates how long a cleaning will take and then, she gives you a quote.  Since each customer is different, so you'd need to call on your own.  I've used their service for almost ten years and am happier having it that having my own part time maid.  The office number is 765-2953.  If you can't reach her there, her cell is 331 042 8449.

2 minutes ago, gringal said:

The way the cost to the customer works is this:  The Jefa, Letitia, comes to your house and estimates how long a cleaning will take and then, she gives you a quote.  Since each customer is different, so you'd need to call on your own.  I've used their service for almost ten years and am happier having it that having my own part time maid.  The office number is 765-2953.  If you can't reach her there, her cell is 331 042 8449.

2 hours ago, AngusMactavish said:

I'd appreciate you sharing what your maid service costs.

It was a simple request.

Archived