Chapala.com Webboard

Tiling roof

I'm sick of redoing my roof every few years, and am considering any possible alternatives.  I wondered about tiling the flat part of my roof, but know that this doesn't seem to be a popular option.  Does anyone have any experience living in a house with a tiled roof, or know any reason why this may (or may not) be a good idea?  The flat part of my roof (about 1/2 the roof total) does have drainage for rain water.  

I lived in a rental place in Vista Alegre a few years back and it was during the rainy season.  They had a tiled roof and it leaked in one area quite badly.  I knew the fellow who rented after us and he said the owner had to take up the tiles, redo the roof, and not sure if they did tiles again.  If you go with tiles, make sure you get a reliable contractor and use the proper grout.  It is important to make sure the roof underneath the tiles is properly sealed before you add tiles.

Is not a good option to install tile in the roof, because the grout is not warranty for the rain and sun, but you can put in the grout some sealer special, and the maskint like what the albañiles used for pool tiles whit this you have more warranty and saved for a couple years. Other option is before to install the tiles you can put membrane and them the tile, because if you have a leak the leak staid in the membrane, but not going inside of the ceiling!

Four years.

I cheated and imported grout additive.  If you can find latex grout additive here that should do the trick.  Most important to really get a good grouting job, no holes or low spots.

I saved some serious money by going to GDL and buying a truck load of perfectly good for roof slightly blemished tile seconds.  I had over 2000 square feet to cover.

Archived