Chapala.com Webboard

BOBBY'S LA TERRAZA

gringal

2 hours ago, Ian Greenwood said:

There was no attempt to troll , sow discord or “diss “ ...I just stated that a series of events, in my opinion resulted in an unethical business decision . It’s an opinion that’s all.. As to the various “ newbie “ comments , coincidentally it’s ten years ago today we began building our house .

Yes, there was an attempt to troll or sow discord. 

Had you left out “... but l probably wouldn’t have posted...however unfortunately  it seems it will be me against  “the group “ again. But  that’s never really been  an issue for me , and it is another rainy day” and “Of  course that’s just me.. So please go ahead and enjoy...... slings and arrows....no big deal” I would have bought your disclaimer of not trolling or sowing discord. You place a chip on your shoulder and invite others to please knock it off thus proving there is a group against poor, lone you. And, of course you are such an outlier that “the group”will fling slings and arrows at you because it is so threatened by your opinion. 

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Xena--Could there be an up side here? We haven't had such an entertainingly obnoxious, highly pleased with himself expert-in-his-field in a long time,  who cleverly uses our responses to let us know Who He Is/was, on either side of the border.  We should enjoy this special person as fun, fun, fun. Not before a meal, of course. That wouldn't work digestion-wise.

Lexy

w

Speaking of Mexican dishes.  Many years ago on my first trip to Mexico,, I saw chili and cheese on the menu at a restaurant.  Coming from Oklahoma I like chili carne with cheese and onion on top.  When I got my order it was chili peppers in a cheese sauce.  I decided in the future I had better make sure I knew what I was ordering. 

13 hours ago, gringal said:

Have either you or Bisbee Gal seen the rest of the menu?  Much more interesting choices than what I had. Frankly, I was going for one of the cheaper lunch items on this exploratory visit. 

Since another poster appointed me as the official defender of "all things Bobby", I'll describe the burger as shown on the actual menu, which I have a copy of:

"Mexican Burger: Ground beef, bacon, lettuce, tomato, avocado, grilled onions and sweet peppers, Monterey Jack cheese, salsa, and served with a black bean salad". 

Doesn't sound like anyone else's burger to me.

As far as calling the menu "Mexican Modern", I suspect this is a victory of imagination over reality, but I really don't care as long as the food is good. It's worthwhile to note that in designing any menu for a local, mostly expat customer base, no restaurant owner in his right mind would go for the authentic super hot and spicy part of Mexican cuisine.  There are exceptions to all things, but these potential diners are a bunch of gringos who mostly aren't up to the really hot stuff.😋

His menu is on his FB page.  Before he opened his early posts at FB were all about serving Modern Mexican food....he even cited references to what he sought to achieve for those unfamiliar with Modern Mexican cuisine.  MM is a sophisticated take on traditional foods and there are many restaurants serving it in CDMX (Pujol set the standard) and in SMA (Jacinto 1930, Aperi, Nomada)....we have been to quite a few of them.  We were looking forward to having one here.

However as Bobby's menu evolved, he stopped talking about MM and his FB page abandoned its focus to MM.  His food may be perfectly fine but it is not the cuisine he originally said he would serve.  

Bisbee Gal,

I Googled "Mexican Modern cuisine" and drew a blank.  Could you please explain how it differs from regular Mexican cuisine a bit beyond "MM is a sophisticated take on traditional foods". Maybe give an example? I'm puzzled, curious and doubt that I'll have the opportunity to try those restaurants you named.

Since I'm not a Facebooker, I didn't see the build up to the opening or the menu before going to the place.

Thank you for the references. I am wondering why my Google search didn't find any of them. I read all of them and gathered that "Modern Mexican" is using non-traditional ingredients in regional specialties, with the emphasis on freshness and artistic presentation.  Having spent most of my life enjoying California's version of Mexican cuisine, I was quite disappointed in the "Mexican food" available in Mexico, but see hope in the innovations.

Looking at Bobby's menu, I see a somewhat scaled back version of the Modern Mexican trend, such as: "Fresh artichoke stuffed with jumbo shrimp and deviled crab, topped with a Mexican tarragon mustard sauce with a side of drawn butter".  In other words, fresh from the cook's imagination.😉

Sounds interesting, especially if he can use Salinas valley artichokes, which are far better than any Mexican sourced ones I've found.  Whether this type of dish qualifies as "Modern Mexican" is perhaps in the mind of the diner. But as usual, my judgment will be based on my taste buds' response.😋

Just as importantly, "modern Mexican" uses typical regional ingredients in unusual ways.

If you can get it, NETFLIX has a series called Somebody Feed Phil. Episode 6 is Mexico City, and is a wonderful journey through Mexican food, from street tacos to the revival of hand-made corn tortillas at upscale restaurants by young entrepeneurs, to some dazzling ideas of Mexican plates kicked up several notches.

Also can be found on the torrent sites. In fact, it's great to watch this unassuming TV producer get his mind blown in locations all over the world. He also had a series called I'll Have What Phil's Having. (With the fed cutbacks in entertainment funding, PBS had to give up the show, and it too moved to Netflix.)

What we are discussing as "modern Mexico" will be easily discernable by its presentation and uniqueness. The artichoke dish mentioned may indeed be unique and delicious, but it (to me) is not an upscale twist on anything Mexican I have seen. Perhaps his inclusion of Mexican tarragon, which I've never heard of. However, that being said, it sounds delicious, and if Bobby can present these kinds of dishes at a consistent level of quality, then let's go for it.

To me, "freshness" is a couple pieces of greens on top and some fruit on the plate. I guess traditional cooking uses old stale ingredients. "Presentation" is small portions and sauce on the plate, instead of on the food.

That will be an extra $20.00 USD for the meal.

I recall an upscale restaurant in a tourist town on Lake Ontario near Brockville. Four servers per table. White china; silver flatware. SIX peas came on the plate with my miniature portion of lamb: nouvelle cuisine in those days.

4 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

The artichoke dish mentioned may indeed be unique and delicious, but it (to me) is not an upscale twist on anything Mexican I have seen. 

11769-051-s-mexican-chorizo-and-rice-stu

Mexican chorizo and rice-stuffed artichokes 
© Karen Hursh Graber, 2015

http://www.mexconnect.com/articles/4234-artichoke-season-a-mexican-springtime-treat

The artful octopus shown definitely doesn't get my glands salivating like the artichoke did, but in any case, this is getting beyond my foodie credentials. 

On a practical level, a restaurant owner that wants to survive in the competitive environment this area is becoming needs to feature dishes that will win friends and influence the locals.  Appealing to the foodiest of foodies would put it into a rarefied category where there are not likely enough people to keep the doors open for long. On that note, I must point out that one of the most long term popular restaurants in town is Tango.  The parking situation is terrible; the food offerings are pedestrian and the atmosphere noisy.  Ordinary or not, the food is good and the customers come back for more.  So, draw your own conclusions about what level of sophistication makes peso sense.😉  IMHO, Bobby's menu offerings are just about right to attract the locals who would like something a little different, but nothing on the bleeding edge.  Authentic Mexican Modern?  Does it really matter?

8 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

Only because he said it does.

I think you're holding this man up to a more demanding standard than is warranted by the reality of the case. I see it as "Mexican Modern Lite" to please a local audience.  Why so harsh?

This is what he promises at his FB page. 

image.png.6d4e723a56eee9b729d57834dfaae22f.png

This is Page One of Menu.....what is Mexico Modern, Contemporary, Evolutionary (his words) about any of these items??  It's false advertising. He is claiming a cuisine that is as he says, one of the "hottest culinary trends in both Mexico and the US."  But he is not delivering on it....he is not doing the heavy lifting that is required to produce what he claims his restaurant is all about.  

No automatic alt text available.

Archived