Chapala.com Webboard

Fido in Restaurants

rafterbr

In the US and Canada unless it is a service dog one's pets are not allowed in restaurants.  Here at Lake Chapala it is difficult to enter a restaurant where someone is not there with their beloved pet.  I love dogs but don't enjoy eating with them. I have owned 5 restaurants and even thought of opening an authentic southern restaurant in the Ajijic area.  I am sure it wouldn't do good business as dogs would not be allowed.  

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are two restaurants that I go to very frequently, Ajijic Tango and Fonda Dona Lola, that do not allow pets. Both restaurants do very well. Ajijic Tango does not accept reservations at the weekend as they are too busy. Restaurants can do very well while following Mexican law.

Okay.. so here is another thread regarding dogs in restaurants .  Now ..it is my understanding that dogs are allowed If a customer / owner of dog, are outside, eating , meaning in a courtyard..etc.  however if there is a restaurant with 4 walls and a roof , dogs are not allowed inside.  

So after all these years which is it? Dogs can dine with their owners in the restaurant ? Or not ? 

Very few Mexicans bring Fido to a restaurant. It's gringos (that includes you, Canadians). A feeling of entitlement (the owners, not the dogs) seems to be the driving force. "if they don't allow Fido, we'll just go somewhere else and show them who's boss". Thankfully, Tango says "adelante" to those boorish folks. Fogon, on the other hand, says "sure, we need the business, pase". At least half of the dogs we have seen in restaurants here are not well behaved and they and their owners should both stay home.

YMMV

I've always rather ignored the threads about dogs in restaurants until the other day when I watched a gringa pick up her scruffy little dog that was drooling and put it on a chair in Cafe Grano Cafe.  The dog really looked as if it could do with a bath and it was rather revolting to think that others had to sit on that chair after she and the dog left.  So, dog owners, if you insist on bringing your dogs to restaurants and putting them on chairs, please at least have the courtesy and decency to bring a clean towel with  you to go between your dog's butt and the seat.  But it would be nicer if you left them at home.

It is very civilized and reasonable to see dogs in restaurants. Usually they are better behaved than many of the people (and maybe cleaner).

I am appalled when I see a dog's bottom resting on a chair seat or cushion which is meant for a person. The dog's owner may think its bottom is clean; I beg to differ. I don't want a naked human bottom on the seat, either. Both instances are unhygienic. I vote with my pocket book and my feet. There is no point complaining - nothing has changed in the 16 years I've lived here and it looks like nothing is likely to change. Owners who bring their dogs to restaurants think not only is their dog their best friend, it's their only friend. It's a sad situation for these owners and I feel sorry for them, but that doesn't mean I have to put up with their bad behavior.

https://barkpost.com/discover/fluff-butt-poopy-butt-fluff/

Also, poop carries disease, or at least, carries the bacteria and parasites that can cause disease. We’ve covered this before, butt here’s a quick little list of things you might pickup from your dog’s unclean derriere:

• Salmonella
  • E. Coli
  • Campylobacteriosis
  • Yersiniosis
  • Cyclospora
  • Cryptospordium
  • Giardia
  • Roundworm Larvae
  • Tapeworm
  • Tactoplasmosis

:D

The "entitled" who flaunt both the law and consideration for others aren't going to change, no matter how many times this subject is beaten to death on local forums.

However, one thing should be self-evident, even to that group:  Those little doggie bottoms should be diapered or "pantsed" before seated on chairs. You wouldn't seat your naked butt on a restaurant chair, would you?

🙄

7 minutes ago, cedros said:

Their butts are probably cleaner than most peoples.

Probably but people don't generally sit their naked butts on chairs in restaurants here.  At least I've been lucky not to run into someone doing that in an eatery here.  :D

9 minutes ago, cedros said:

Their butts are probably cleaner than most peoples.

Hahaha, I invite you to put your bare butt down where either unclothed dog or human butt has been sitting.  Go ahead, we'll watch!!

6 minutes ago, Mainecoons said:

Probably but people don't generally sit their naked butts on chairs in restaurants here.  At least I've been lucky not to run into someone doing that in an eatery here.  :D

Well said. However, you don't know how many times you've inadvertently sat where Fido was there before you.😉  Ever noticed how stained the upholstery is in some restaurants?  Must be the naked people butts.

In France and other places i EUrope dog go to restaurants, train hotels etc.. and no more people get e.coli or whatever than in the US.. Please give us all a break with the dogs. Do not frequent restaurants that allows dogs and that is the end of it.  Dogs are better off at home than on a chair in a restaurant and really should stay under ther table  and be quiet.. 

44 minutes ago, bmh said:

In France and other places i EUrope dog go to restaurants, train hotels etc.. and no more people get e.coli or whatever than in the US.. Please give us all a break with the dogs. Do not frequent restaurants that allows dogs and that is the end of it.  Dogs are better off at home than on a chair in a restaurant and really should stay under ther table  and be quiet.. 

Europeans train their dogs far better, and they do stay quietly under the table. That is the exception here.  One of the more interesting comments in this thread is Tiny's, saying he hadn't seen dog in a restaurant in Guadalajara in his many years there.  Says a lot.

The one thing that seems to be ignored by the "entitled ones" is that Mexicans chose to pass a law banning mascotas from restaurants. Doing otherwise must make those people feel they are above the law for some reason.  Divinity, perhaps?🙄

The common response to this subject, suggesting that people not frequent those restaurants, is no solution to the matter of lawbreaking restaurant owners who submit to pressure by lawbreaking customers.  Unfortunately, some of those restaurants  serve excellent meals.  I applaud places like Tango for standing firm on the side of the law.

As usual, the subject has been beaten thoroughly and no minds have been changed, as per usual.

I have only seen 1 (obviously Mexican) instance of a dog being brought into a restaurant in PV in all the years (10) we have lived there. It's always foreigners or perhaps my ability to discern has eroded. After my cataract surgery I can see 20/20 and an American or Canadian accent is pretty easy to discern even with less than perfect hearing. The one time involved a Mexican woman with a tiny dog in a shopping bag! The foreigners drag 2 and sometimes 3 medium to large size dogs in. Then the preening and looking for approving glances usually begins.  I think FlyFree nailed it: the dog is their best and only friend and probably because it doesn't cause them the problems they have had in the past with human interactions.

2 hours ago, pappysmarket said:

Hahaha, I invite you to put your bare butt down where either unclothed dog or human butt has been sitting.  Go ahead, we'll watch!!

Usually the dogs sit on the floor-I don't sit there. 

Archived