Chapala.com Webboard

Dna testing

cedros

How does one go about getting DNA testing done by Ancestry.com here. Do you use a local mail receiver like ishop? 

Yes, but you must declare the value of the package as $0 in order to pay the minimum charge to bring it from the US.  The package truly has no value until you send it back with your spit in it.  The value is in the results, not the testing package itself.

I asked at ishop today and the woman said she didn't know if receiving it and sending it through them would work as there may be custom problems.

I would be inclined to wait until my next trip to the US, order it in advance from here to be sent to my address in the US, complete it and have the results sent to my iShop address in Laredo. 

6 minutes ago, tomgates said:

I would be inclined to wait until my next trip to the US, order it in advance from here to be sent to my address in the US, complete it and have the results sent to my iShop address in Laredo. 

I never go to the US.

3 minutes ago, Yo1 said:

I've had 4 kits received here with no problem.  I've taken or had muled all the kits back to the US.  There really doesn't need to be a problem.

Received to your home or to a mail service here? Then I could mule the sample to the US.

Mexico does permit the import of the kits.  I could not get Ancestry or National Geographic to even send it here because of this regulation.  

Cedros I am interested which company you used?  How they mailed it to you?  Was it identified for customs?  Then how did you mail it back to the US and did you identify what it was?

45 minutes ago, Floradude said:

Mexico does permit the import of the kits.  I could not get Ancestry or National Geographic to even send it here because of this regulation.  

Cedros I am interested which company you used?  How they mailed it to you?  Was it identified for customs?  Then how did you mail it back to the US and did you identify what it was?

I haven't done it yet but I want to.

1 hour ago, Yo1 said:

Received at a mail service, at Sol y Luna and IShop because they won't ship to a Mexican address.

Okay. I will go back to ishop and get there US mailing address.

I talked to Paul at Sol y Luna a couple of years ago, and he said it wouldn't be a problem. Yo 1 is right - send to the Laredo address and have it shipped down. Be sure to give it a value of $0. Give the completed sample to the mail drop to be delivered NOB.

The DNA test is great for confirming and sometimes discovering ancestors. The ethnic predictions are still too new a science to be accurate beyond the Continent level.

And just for the record, the test kits CAN be shipped directly to Mexico. FamilyTreeDNA has been doing it for years.

6 hours ago, AngusMactavish said:

My brother bought one of those tests. We have known family histories, but the tests say we are 100% Slovack. Pure BS in my opinion, but I am glad he wasted his money to find out.

agree with you 100% , spend your money on a good dinner...or give it to me!!

24 minutes ago, lakeside7 said:

agree with you 100% , spend your money on a good dinner...or give it to me!!

For me it is a matter of curiosity. I worked on my genealogy for 20 years. It will be interesting to see what they come up with.

7 hours ago, AngusMactavish said:

My brother bought one of those tests. We have known family histories, but the tests say we are 100% Slovack. Pure BS in my opinion, but I am glad he wasted his money to find out.

It could be true. As a MacIntosh descendant, I can go back to the 1300s, but things get fuzzy fast, since second names are a rather recent thing.  The “Mac“ simply means “son of“ in its original context. When second names came to be adopted, bloodlines were more easily followed. Before that, affiliations, as with clans, were used, but did not signify actual genetic relationships.  Your family ancestors, or mine, could have included some Slavs, or even esclavos, which were common for centuries.  Though Scots-Irish-French-Native American by history, my own DNA includes Central European, English, Iberian, North African and Nigerian traces.  History makes all of this quite plausible: England supplanted Portugal as colonists in Nigeria, North Africans were notorious slavers, Coastal Portugese migrated north to become “Black Irish“. Irish migrated to Scotland, etc., Both Scots and Irish, along with English, ended up in the Americas...some transported, some as explorers or colonists. Mine helped build Québec before migrating southward. Loyalists vs. Rebels, then Yankees vs. Confederates, Catholics vs. Protestants....Really disfunctional !!!!!  Mongrels, for sure.  It is fun though.

40 minutes ago, RVGRINGO said:

Coastal Portugese migrated north to become “Black Irish“.

This is interesting because I was told by my mum that the Black Irish were descendants of shipwrecked Spanish sailors from the Armada. ??? My mum's family was interesting... her Dad was Irish and her mother was Welsh. Half the family had black hair and the other half had red hair... all with blue eyes except for my mum who had dark hair, dark eyes, dark lashes and a very Roman nose. She could have passed for a Spanish or Portuguese Senora in a nanosecond. Even when I brought her down here, everyone kept speaking to her in Spanish. Fascinating stuff.

Yes, that “shipwrecked Spanis“ myth has pretty well been debunked. Ther werent very many survivors, but there was a great northern migration, over time, all the way from Portugal, and even North Africa, to the far reaches of the north. Then, there were also those Vikings, who really liked to take slaves and even lost a few now and then.  The very word “slave“ comes from “Slav“, & they were popular as servants and soldiers everywhere in the known world, then, and beyond.  Hence, our blue eyes, etc.

14 hours ago, AngusMactavish said:

Or it could be that your brother is the result of the dreaded Non Parental Event. Parent or parents aren't who you thought they were. This is happening a lot with DNA testing.

6 hours ago, MtnMama said:

Or it could be that your brother is the result of the dreaded Non Parental Event. Parent or parents aren't who you thought they were. This is happening a lot with DNA testing.

Any excuse for the sake of technology is possible with the old method of genealogy as practiced in Utah being suspect.

Look at the testers:

"More insidious, these companies pretend to trace your unique ancestry through mitochondrial DNA, but that’s simply not possible. A few hundred years, a few generations, and every person's history is a genetic mishmash. One little gene isn't going to inform anybody about anything.

As Marks puts it, "That’s the beauty of this scam. The companies aren’t scamming you. They’re not giving you fraudulent information. They are giving you data, real data, and allowing you to scam yourself."

https://www.livescience.com/2084-dna-kits-secrets-scientific-scam.html

Archived