Chapala.com Webboard

Question about Nexium, Lakeside

The root of the problem is the sphincter between your esophagus and your stomach.  It becomes weaker with age, and some people are born with this condition.   The sphincter prevents the acid from going into your esophagus.  When it becomes weaker, there is a backlash of acid into the esophagus- not pleasant.  You do not create more acid- your body just is not able to stop the acid from returning to the esophagus because of the damaged sphincter.  The proton pump inhibitors decrease the acid in your stomach- that is all.  Not a good solution.  You need the acid for digestion.  Talk to a gastroenterologist.  That is their specialty.  I have been very pleased with Dr. Valenzuela @ Quality Care.

Yes I am very aware of the situation, I just do not like the possible solution. I quit taking all the proton inhibitors as I have no symptoms except for a chronic cough that  comes from an inflamed esophahus . I have seen many gastros and they do not recommend surgery.. so  I dropped the subject after seeing several gastros.

yes 3 people in the family have the same thing as I have: a chronic cough no other symptoms whatsoever, they exercise and are skinny as they get..  the more I read about it and the more I think the doctors have no clue and the drugs they sell may work dor some bit sure do not work for me or people in the family who have the same thing as I have..  I found out by accident what I had and had been looking for 20 years.. went to doctors in San Francisco , France and Mexico, finally a doctor in Mexico diagnosed it but it took year of coughing and a zillion tests to figre this one out.. and then no real solution except maybe surgery..My trust is doctors and their solutio is at zero..

Had a colon resection then a week later an emergency transverse colon removed ( all of it ) . I was 50 years old . Because of this I have GERD .  Had many many tests through the years and I have inflammation of esophagus , stomach and colon. Biopsies showed H.  Pylori. . I  was prescribed nexium ( which insurance doesn’t cover ] and Bentyl.  This has helped my symptoms along with limited alcohol, spicy foods,  chocolate  and smaller meals .   I hope this information helps . 

Thanks,, I do the same thing.. no alcohol , chocolate litte coffe, light meals at night a slanted bed  etc.. I cheat once in a while because I love hot food which by th eway does not seem to make a lot of differnce.. I react to chocolate , milk, wine but no hot food..Pantaprazol at a high dose worked some on th ecough but frankly I rather cough than take  the proton inhibitors because I also have osteoporosis.. If I take medecine for one I screw up the other so I dropped the medecine and will see what happens.. Got to due of something..

21 hours ago, Justathought said:

Had a colon resection then a week later an emergency transverse colon removed ( all of it ) . I was 50 years old . Because of this I have GERD .  Had many many tests through the years and I have inflammation of esophagus , stomach and colon. I was prescribed nexium ( which insurance doesn’t cover ] and Bentyl.  This has helped my symptoms along with limited alcohol, spicy foods,  chocolate  and smaller meals .   I hope this information helps . 

A bad gallbladder can cause it also and after gallbladder surgery it is common.

There was a report on last night's NBC Evening News about some medications, including anti acids, that contribute to depression. I think the report was by the JAMA. I will look more into later.

40 minutes ago, bigd said:

Had know idea there were so many doctors living lakeside??

Just friendly people trying to be helpful. Not judgmental. Or isn't what this board is supposed to be about? (By the way, that's "no", not "know".)

1 hour ago, ComputerGuy said:

Far too sweeping a statement, and assumes everyone abuses medication.

I had my first attack a few weeks ago, and of course wanted something to alleviate the symptoms. Who gives a crap about the cause, when you are suffering? This is like people who won't take cold medications to stop their sneezing, watery, itching, sore throat, fever, can't sleep, coughing symptoms. What, tell them to stay indoors, don't take planes?

AFTER my attack, I learned how to change things in my diet, and more.

If there was no need for medications, there would be none.

I wrote nothing about anyone abusing medications.  I also said nothing about no need for medications.  I don't understand why you read that into it.  Sometimes symptoms are terrible and must be alleviated.  Nonetheless, prescriptions medications typically don't address the cause and that's why I posted the link.  I would think one would want to fix the cause of the problem and in our experience with physicians, they typically don't heal causes.

Also, what I wrote was that there are alternatives to prescription medications, for those who don't want to go that routes, so I really don't get the angry response.  It's all your choice.

45 minutes ago, Zeb said:

Also, what I wrote was that there are alternatives to prescription medications, for those who don't want to go that routes, so I really don't get the angry response.  It's all your choice.

Your caption was missing:

giphy.gif

Since I work with indigenous , most people I know go to the curandero first and many are happy with them. I tey have something that does not respond to whatever the curanderos do they go to a doctor..many die from lack of prompt treatment  and many die from the bad doctors too.. all in all if you are sick you are in trouble..

I disagree Mike. There would be no long threads if there weren't segues... this thread would have been done after 5 or 6 posts.

I'm still learning about many things and hope I never stop learning. And what I've experienced and learned I will always share.

25 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

Angry? Hardly. I disagreed with your viewpoint, and I disagree with your statement that what you wrote did not strongly imply what I said it implies. I believe we are all intelligent enough to know that we don't have to hear someone else tell us that we are only "treating the symptoms". Especially when treating the symptoms is what this thread is all about.

However, if that was not your intention, I apologize.

I wrote exactly what I was thinking and there was no implication.  I was not thinking it and it was NOT my intention.  I have a spouse who suffers from your problems and does at times, utilize pharmaceuticals, so I am quite sensitive to the problem and the suffering. 

As to who gives a crap to the cause, I do,  because I want to help alleviate the suffering and want to help prevent it.  I believe people have a right to their own choices, even if they disagree with mine.

2 hours ago, Ferret said:

I disagree Mike. There would be no long threads if there weren't segues... this thread would have been done after 5 or 6 posts.

I'm still learning about many things and hope I never stop learning. And what I've experienced and learned I will always share.

Then we'll have to disagree.

Deleted. Tired of silly arguments with silly people.

8 hours ago, Zeb said:

The prescription medications are treating the symptoms, not the cause.  I am placing a link below from Dr. Axe's web site. He explains the cause and the solutions. The symptoms can be treated without pharmaceuticals. 

It is fixable for many people.

https://draxe.com/acid-reflux-diet/

From this silly person to another,

Thanks for the link Zeb! I found it very interesting reading and have bookmarked it for future reference.

On ‎6‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 7:37 PM, AngusMactavish said:

At $2.00 USD each, I bet he will be sure to bring some on down.

(That was a post on page one about the costs of Nexium at Walmart in Mexico where Tiny had posted the Walmart link followed by Angus's  post above)

I  I just ordered via Amazon prime. I purchased a bottle of 24 hour Nexium capsules for 64 US cents per capsule here in Seattle. (84 capsules for including sales tax for $53.95)

I didn't think our 10.5% sales tax would be charged on this type of medicine. Maybe Amazon made a mistake. They are newly charging sales tax for the appropriate geographical area.  But no big deal; its' only 10.5% And the prices up here are still much more economical than lakeside.. Again Angus and Tiny, thanks for the warning.

Archived