Chapala.com Webboard

Cafe Montana, Chula Vista

ibarra

Quite satisfactory, with a nice selection of salads and sandwiches. I've had the turkey and the roast beef with horseradish; both served with a small scoop of potato salad or a small side salad. As of a week ago, they were still waiting to serve wines, either by the glass or the bottle, but their jamaica comes served in a nice pitcher, which allows you to get your own refill. Pretty garden; lovely setting. They do allow smoking which, when there's a table full of smokers, is a PITA for those who dislike it.

36 minutes ago, jrod said:

Quite satisfactory, with a nice selection of salads and sandwiches. I've had the turkey and the roast beef with horseradish; both served with a small scoop of potato salad or a small side salad. As of a week ago, they were still waiting to serve wines, either by the glass or the bottle, but their jamaica comes served in a nice pitcher, which allows you to get your own refill. Pretty garden; lovely setting. They do allow smoking which, when there's a table full of smokers, is a PITA for those who dislike it.

Is this an indoor venue with a roof over it where the food is served?   If so, it's more than a PITA.

Seating area is outdoors and roofed over...service, decor, landscaping, etc are delightful.  I've never had a problem with smokers.  Service has always been good and I've enjoyed to breakfast and lunch there. It's one of my new go to places.

2 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

It was posted here somewhere that the law apparently states that inside need only constitute one wall and and overhead of some sort.

I heard that one could smoke in a setting like at Salvador's before it closed. And then someone posted that an additional wall over the covered outside area would make the site an area where one could not smoke. (but using my worst English, "I aint no expert" :)  on the subject.

2 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

It was posted here somewhere that the law apparently states that inside need only constitute one wall and and overhead of some sort.

Tell that to the American Legion in Chapala, please.

Seating area is outdoors and roofed over...service, decor, landscaping, etc are delightful.  I've never had a problem with smokers.  Service has always been good and I've enjoyed to breakfast and lunch there. It's one of my new go to places.

The eating area is an L shaped area.... so a wall on one side with a roof....

4 hours ago, ibarra said:

I have heard a rumor that pets are allowed, is this true?

A question:  why would a person want to take a beloved pet which has a very acute sense of smell to an environment where food is being cooked and served to others, but not to it?  Seems rather cruel.

4 hours ago, gringal said:

A question:  why would a person want to take a beloved pet which has a very acute sense of smell to an environment where food is being cooked and served to others, but not to it?  Seems rather cruel.

The owner of the cafe does.

1 hour ago, gringal said:

The question is not whether the owner does it, but why a customer does it.

Ummm...maybe because they enjoy the company of their pet? And they love their pet? And they know their pet loves them and would prefer to be with them rather than not?

Maybe those reasons?

(FWIW - I am neither in favor of, nor opposed to, people bringing a well-behaved pet to a restaurant, especially if there is outdoor seating away from the kitchen. I just don't care; it doesn't bother me.)

Pets are pets. Beloved most often, yes. But they are pets, not people. They will not die of loneliness when left at home for a couple of hours. They will not bother anyone when left at home. They will bother many people when brought into a restaurant.

Pets stay at home millions of times a day, all around the world. There are reasons for laws forbidding pets in restaurants. Some here seem to believe that Mexican laws are not like real laws, and don't apply to gringos and expats. What BS.

Archived