Chapala.com Webboard

Sichaun Cuisine

CHILLIN

I kind of posted this for More Liana, who is an accomplished chef of Szechaun food. But I am sure there many other fans of this type of food at Lakeside. I am posting it as a link which works on my computer, but I am also a subcriber via Kindle Fire. Let me know if you can't read it:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/voraciously/wp/2018/05/15/sichuan-food-is-so-much-more-than-spicy/?utm_term=.b8df64144431

1 hour ago, CHILLIN said:

I kind of posted this for More Liana, who is an accomplished chef of Szechaun food. But I am sure there many other fans of this type of food at Lakeside. I am posting it as a link which works on my computer, but I am also a subcriber via Kindle Fire. Let me know if you can't read it:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/voraciously/wp/2018/05/15/sichuan-food-is-so-much-more-than-spicy/?utm_term=.b8df64144431

Can't read it without paying a dollar.  Me too cheap.

If you're familiar with Anthony Bordain's excellent series "Parts Unknown", there is one program in the series covering Szechuan food at the source.  It's nothing like we in the West are used to seeing. 

When we lived in Manhattan a few centuries  ago I recall when Szecchuan cuisine began its introduction and quickly became a favorite. Same with Hunan. These memories make me drool.

Lexy

The site opened quickly for me..There is an add at the top that states you can subscribe for 1 month for $1.00 US but the entire article will open independent of opting in for the subscription. Interesting article..The focus is on using Red Sichuan peppercorns which are actually dried citrus berries of the prickly ash tree. Hopefully the article will open for you without the donation..

I tried to purchase Fuschia Dunlop's 2001 book "Land of Plenty" mentioned in the article. Holy smokes, Amazon wants $273 U.S. for a new one, or $99 for a used one.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0393051773?ie=UTF8&tag=thewaspos09-20&camp=1789&linkCode=xm2&creativeASIN=0393051773

Will try the used book stores like Powells in Portland.

Chillin< I incorrectly thought that maybe the price you got was in Pesos. So I while up north I just tried and got $99 US dollars. I couldn't believe it. Didn't know authors and resellers  could ask and possibly get that much for a book.

On 6/9/2018 at 1:34 PM, gringal said:

Can't read it without paying a dollar.  Me too cheap.

If you're familiar with Anthony Bordain's excellent series "Parts Unknown", there is one program in the series covering Szechuan food at the source.  It's nothing like we in the West are used to seeing. 

Well Gringal, if you had spent a dollar (that is for six months, then it rises to $3.99 per month) you would have gotten the link to Anthony Bourdains Sichaun videos and field notes. I can't get sound out of the top panel, but on the lower right there is a video (Sichaun Montage)

https://explorepartsunknown.com/destination/sichuan/

4 hours ago, CHILLIN said:

Well Gringal, if you had spent a dollar (that is for six months, then it rises to $3.99 per month) you would have gotten the link to Anthony Bourdains Sichaun videos and field notes. I can't get sound out of the top panel, but on the lower right there is a video (Sichaun Montage)

https://explorepartsunknown.com/destination/sichuan/

Thanks so much for this link; I didn't know about it either. I get hardly any American TV and I've missed seeing these shows. Been in shock all weekend after the news on Friday and the site is overloaded at the moment but I'm hoping to explore it thoroughly when it's quieter. Hopefully they won't suspend or take it down...

On 6/9/2018 at 2:18 PM, Lexy said:

When we lived in Manhattan a few centuries  ago I recall when Szecchuan cuisine began its introduction and quickly became a favorite. Same with Hunan. These memories make me drool.

Lexy

When I was chef-ing in a restaurant in NY--back a few centuries ago, as you said (early early 70s), those two cuisines were my specialties.  Very very few people knew about them and they made a big hit at the restaurant.  Huge.  

Now there is ONE truly good Sichuan/Xaanshi restaurant in Mexico City.  I go there every chance I get, maybe once a month.  It's the real deal!  Fabulous ma la, fabulous everything.  I've posted this noodle picture before, but really--it's my favorite dish at the place.  So spicy, so delicious!  I was there a couple of weeks ago and ate the entire bowlful, which should have been for 2, or even 3.  Impossible to stop.  The second photo is a small bowl of "flour dumpling soup"--chicken broth, thickened slightly, with bok choy and thready flour dumplings a little like egg drop, but not egg--they're wheat flour.  Mild and comforting, they're someone's grandma's recipe I feel certain.  I can't find anything even slightly similar in my many Chinese cookbooks.  Oy, I need to go again ASAP.  Somebody come over to Mexico City and go with me!

Harina Dumpling Soup.jpg

Spicy Noodles 1.jpg

20 hours ago, More Liana said:

When I was chef-ing in a restaurant in NY--back a few centuries ago, as you said (early early 70s), those two cuisines were my specialties.  Very very few people knew about them and they made a big hit at the restaurant.  Huge.  

Now there is ONE truly good Sichuan/Xaanshi restaurant in Mexico City.  I go there every chance I get, maybe once a month.  It's the real deal!  Fabulous ma la, fabulous everything.  I've posted this noodle picture before, but really--it's my favorite dish at the place.  So spicy, so delicious!  I was there a couple of weeks ago and ate the entire bowlful, which should have been for 2, or even 3.  Impossible to stop.  The second photo is a small bowl of "flour dumpling soup"--chicken broth, thickened slightly, with bok choy and thready flour dumplings a little like egg drop, but not egg--they're wheat flour.  Mild and comforting, they're someone's grandma's recipe I feel certain.  I can't find anything even slightly similar in my many Chinese cookbooks.  Oy, I need to go again ASAP.  Somebody come over to Mexico City and go with me!

Harina Dumpling Soup.jpg

Spicy Noodles 1.jpg

What’s the restaurant’s name?

Archived