Chapala.com Webboard

Eye opening ATM experience

Yesterday, I was standing in line at the CIBanco ATM machine at the centro laguna having a pleasant chat with the lady in front of me. When it was her turn to use the machine, I could not help but notice as others did that when the machine dispensed her money, she did not remove it as I understand later, she was reading the printed receipt. What happened next really got my attention, suddenly, the machine simply sucked the money back in. I am guessing that there was about a 30 second time frame between dispensing and taking it back. I believe this must be a safety feature. Obviously the lady was pretty upset since she will now have to deal with her bank to get her account credited again..

Same thing will happen to your card and usually the bank cannot recover it as bank staff usually do not have keys to the ATM.  When cards that got sucked into the ATM are recovered they are destroyed.  

I have seen the same thing. I was with a friend in El Paso texas when his nephew called and asked to be bailed out. He had an unpaid traffic ticket and got pulled over. So my friend offered to meet up later but I said no i want to see this. It turns out there is an ATM in the jail. Hahaha so he went to get out money and as it spit the money out an officer said something to him. He turned to see what the officer wanted and bam it sucked the money back in. Luckily i did choose to go because i loaned him the money to get his nephew out. He called the bank and they said they would make sure he was not charged he wasnt.

Now  another incident i had was the machine not giving any money but acting like it did. It was not an ATM from my bank and it took over 2 months to get my money back. My bank told me that if they said I got the money there was no recourse. It was a mess. They claimed i got the money. Like i said it took several months to get it back. Ultimately we requested photos from the ATM and they returned my money. I always wondered how many people got ripped off by them. I was trying to get 200 dollars and i wasnt going to let it go but wondered how many who only tried to get a few bucks just gave up.

But it was interesting to find out i was at their mercy and that its not like requesting money back from fraud or returning an item etc.

Archived