Chapala.com Webboard

Rammed earth architects and construction consultants

I won't answer each of the replies to my OP, but I do appreciate your help and your helpful attitudes.  I agree that my wife and I need to understand the environment (geological, geographical, legal, social, contractual, .....). 

Our eyes were opened by a book 'Buy Build or Improve your Home in Mexico' by  Ed Kunze.  That's where we got the idea of a third party construction consultant. My wife and I will still be on the job site every day.

As I stated in my OP, this trip will be our initial visit; the primary goal of the trip is to determine if the Lake Chapala area (LCA) looks like a go as much as it appears from our armchair travels,  perusals of helpful forum Q&As from kind folks like yourselves, and reading books.  On paper the LCA has just about everything on our checklist, but virtual visits are not real visits.

If the LCA is a go, then our next visits will be to understand the towns and neighborhoods, and short list ones to live in.  We will also continue meeting with professionals in different fields, getting recommendations, confirming them, looking for lots to build or houses to remodel. We've still to quite a distance to go before actually moving there, signing contracts, etc.  My wife and I move slowly and consider our projects carefully.  For example, it took me half a year to research and design a greenhouse for my wife.  It took another three months to buy the materials and build it.  Moving to Mexico as a place to age-in-place is a very much harder project than a greenhouse.

We lived for 25 years in Taiwan, and it's interesting how similar Mexico and Taiwan are.  The Tropic of Cancer (23.5 degrees north runs through the middle of Taiwan. The latitude of Chapala is 20.3 degrees; I'm guessing that Chapala doesn't have a long dusk.  Both Mexico and Taiwan have a very family oriented culture; like Mexico, kids in Taiwan usually live with their parents until they get married. In Mexico, it's "no hay problema, sí se puede". In Taiwan, it's "mei wenti, zuode dao".  In Mexico, it's a "mordida". In Taiwan, it's a "hong bao" or "red envelope". When we first moved to Taiwan, it was cash-based, in-person society; we had  to go to the phone company to pay our phone bills. The main differences I see is in the level of education and the accompanying standard of living; however, if Mexico had a high standard of living, we couldn't afford to move there.

Rammed earth construction is neither a new nor an untested method; parts of the Great Wall in China, the Alhambra, the Pyramid of the Sun at Teothuacán.  It's being "rediscovered" for more expensive houses in many places, including Mexico, and so is new to some people, including architects and contractors.  It has great features including durability, stability, energy and acoustic insulation. Compacted earth blocks has some of the same qualities, but we like the look of rammed earth better.

Again, thanks, all.  I hope to see some of you when we visit.

Perhaps anticlimactically, a few simple points:

When i visited Lakeside for the first time, the drive south of the airport reminded me of rural India, and parts of Chapala and SJC are like Indian towns.  GDL is nothing like TPE.

When I build on my lot exploiting 270 degree lake and mountain views, it will be designed to be burglar-proof, an interesting design problem. 

For those who remain skeptical about rammed earth, have a look at some Bay Area projects inside: https://www.rammedearthworks.com/  

Go to that link shown above. And all I can say is "what beautiful homes". They all look very modern and are beautifully done. This modern look isn't one that you see very often lakeside. I love those large windows to take care of the views. some might mention security. My security is found on the outside perimeter of the property allowing me to also have a modern house.

My home is not rammed earth or as beautiful as the one shown at that link.

I will go out on a limb and say that there are no rammed earth experts here at Lakeside... That means that the expert has to come here and bring his system and crew... That in its self is a serious cost item.

How long do you expect to live in the house? You may wish to conserve cash spent on your rammed earth lodging for assisted living... 

You will have maintenance and will there be local support to handle this?

Compounding the above is the shifting, sliding sands of Lakeside... 

I do wish you the best!

Thanks to all for your replies.  It appears from replies on this forum and another one that if we go with rammed earth, we'll need to find architects and builders outside of the Lake Chapala area. 

The rammed earth, especially if reinforced with steel and a bit of cement, is quite strong, with little maintenance and good resistance to earthquakes.  My wife and I also really like the look of rammed earth, in additional to its acoustic insulation properties. So far it's our favorite method.

I really appreciate your help on this question. 👍

As a follow up question, what are the colors of the soil around Lake Chapala? 🌅

• 1 month later...

I love the look of rammed earth homes, but I think here lakeside I would opt for an accent wall, landscape wall, etc. rather than structural walls given the general lack of experience and history of that building method here. Just my .02

Archived