Chapala.com Webboard

iLox @ LCS?

Thank you, Rick. I wish I got a different answer as my hair is falling out with Spiderweb's "service" or lack thereof...

Does anyone know of an internet cafe or coffee shop (or any equivalent with wifi) that offers a solid stable connection lakeside? Chapala to Jocotepec, anywhere along there?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

U probably already know this but... there are some very good cellphone service data speeds in places around Lakeside, both with Telcel and AT&T. How about at your Fracc? If good you could tether a PC to that service using WiFi.

On 6/19/2018 at 7:56 PM, RickS said:

I am not a/the authority but....  I have seen no other words, in all the Posts about this fiber service, than that they will NOT go into a gated community unless there is access to the inside with NO OTHER utility involved. Sounds like you don’t meet their requirements. Also, as far as I have read no one has seen/been in contact with any iLox representatives other than ‘Tom’.  Even at the recent meeting in Ajijic they did NOT have anyone there. Maybe Tom will answer also.

This is not completely accurate. It isn't really a "gated community" that is the problem, it is having underground utilities like many gated communities have. If your house is serviced by CFE electric poles then iLox will be able to service you. If your house is serviced by underground utilities and you have no CFE electric poles then they can only service you with a dedicated underground conduit. If you live in a gated community that has above ground CFE electric poles then there is no problem.

This was all covered at the LCS meeting. They also mentioned that there were other options besides underground and that one frac was getting access by running the conduit along dividing walls so that the didn't have to go underground. Some fracs have CFE electric poles so they are OK.

Gents,

Yesterday Ilox informed me they have received enough paid in sign ups and have decided to go ahead with the project. They will offer service all along the highway from Jocotepec to Chapala.  They are in the process of opening an office in Ajijic.  Construction will start at the end of July.  Services will turn up no later than 6 mo after that... Yeah!!!   

Hear Hear!

Many thanks for all your efforts. I doubt I would have had the fortitude to endure all your challenges.

A tremendous service for all the Lakeside residents including the naysayers.

SunFan

15 minutes ago, NLU said:

"A tremendous service for all the Lakeside residents including the naysayers."

Godda luv dem naysayers who can now jump on the bandwagon by paying monthly!

Way to go!

Fill in the blanks!

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _!

They can only jump on the bandwagon and pay monthly AFTER the original subscribers are connected.

NLU,

The way it works is this:

- The main fiber backbone transits Joco and the biggest capital expense is to tap off maybe a thousand of those circuits in one huge stream, they demux, i.e.  individualize them into groups of 30-40 customers each...That costs like $150 grand...Then they run those groups on fibers to  splitter boxes in front of your development..  The splitter  individualizes the fiber circuits  to each home where it connects to a set top box.   

When a couple hundred people pay up front and you know where they are, you can plan everything..Of course you leave extra capacity in the cables...extra fiber is cheap..But if the demux is maxed out and you have to expand it,  .thats a big expense.  then some folks are likely gonna have to wait.  The demux is going to be located in Ajijic center... If  60 more people in Las Fuentes or Raquet Club decide they want service after its already been planned out...it'll  be a while. .      Those 30-40 muxed fiber lines out to the developments also can't go that far.  They're not going to turn up mass service in Roca Azul when the demux is in Ajijic.  They'll  have to put another demux say, in San Juan or something. 

Which is why if you even think you want this service, sign up now, especially  if you're away from Ajijic center, especially get your neighbors and friends to sign up and get that $10K MXN into the capital kitty..  Then you won't be depending upon some automotive plant in Queretaro competing for the CAPEX budget.   If enough people in far out areas like Roca Azul or Chapala Haciendas do it, ILOX may put it into the planning now.  Similarly, a gated community could just decide they want it and have everyone pay in..Then figure out how they'll do the ducts with their HOA.  Beats watching your property value drop...

Tom

Thanks Tom 

(For your last posting and everything you have done before it.)

Shows ya what too much education and lack of info can do to a logical conclusion based upon them and little else. My bad.

However, those naysayers still have the opportunity to join the original group and without what they saw as the risk of 'paying up front in Mexico, you i*i*t!' which may or may not have discouraged others from enrolling and possibly moving us closer to your achieved goal earlier than now.

Although I am currently not in need of this service (knock on wood), I know plenty of people who are, and I must take time to once again thank Tom. Not only has he been working on this for an amazingly long time, he has done it with a cool head and with great detail and organization. If (when) this goes through, a small statue should be erected somewhere. This is a milestone in the infrastrucure of lakeside.

The letter I received says that Ilox will not use existing ducts in a fracc -  apparently even if they are empty which is the situation in our development. (Lyle Ziegler has even come and inspected our ducts months ago, and Jessica said they would be usable.)

SInce I was the only pre-paid customer and since we have available ducts, the board will not even consider the expense of ripping up roads and adding new ducts. Even though I want the service I cannot see going to additional and in my opinion unnecessary expense. So I will be seeking a refund.

I wonder how many others are in fraccs that won't pay for for the Ilox ducts will also be trying to get their money back. '

In my opinion this is a mistake on Ilox's part. I don't know what "liability" issues existing with pulling cable through plastic ducts. Probably most fraccs would waive them to get the cable laid.

Bedbug, the more specific determination by Lyle would supersede the general statement in the Ilox letter...That statement is true nearly all the time  If a fracc has ducts most likely they´re being used and are unuseable by Ilox.  However, if the fracc controls the duct, and they´re willing to assign or reassign it to Ilox (i.e. pull out the other cables), then it can be used for Ilox.

I really hate to say this, but good studies have shown there is a name for real estate developments that don´t elect to do the infrastructure when nearby ones do and have fiber...They´re called depressed.  The hit can be up to 20% of the value of the home.    Just google the topic.  Tell that to your board.  Fiber coming into an area like this will polarize property values, until the owners realize its self-inflicted and correctable. 

And just to add, there is a very real possibility of damage to existing lines in underground conduit, simply because of the way the work has to be done. It isn't the fracc's decision: the provider owns the infrastructure. And no provider is going to waive liability. It's also wise to be aware that the so-called "standards" here differ significantly from those up north, where added work causes damage every day.

7 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

Good question. I would think it would be fairly easy to string into individual properties. There must be CFE poles on the street, right?

Nope. All utilities are underground. There are little Telmex tubes sitting on the sidewalk here and there but under it runs the conduit for all the telephone wires. CFE must have their own conduit for electrical cables.

3 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

And just to add, there is a very real possibility of damage to existing lines in underground conduit, simply because of the way the work has to be done. It isn't the fracc's decision: the provider owns the infrastructure. And no provider is going to waive liability. It's also wise to be aware that the so-called "standards" here differ significantly from those up north, where added work causes damage every day.

I think there is a difference between a fracc and a condominium. In our condo, we own all the internal infrastructure.

Archived