Chapala.com Webboard

Smart Phone Reception

Just curious as to other's experiences here. Please state the Brand and Model #, age, where purchased and which carrier. Why? Because I was totally enamoured with my iPhone 6 plus, purchased brand new, here, 18 months ago, service with Telcel. A few months ago, I started to get the "no service" or constantly searching for signal problems. Used to be able to use it as a hotspot inside my house when Telmex landline had problems. Then I wasn't even able to make a phone call unless I stood in a specific corner of my garden and pointed it at the cell tower. I started to ask everyone who came to my house to walk to the back of it and tell me what their signal was doing... it was just me that was having a problem and I profusely apologize to Telcel for blaming the reconfiguration of their cell towers.

So, my flex cable (antenna) is faulty and so is the logic chip... it's been to the Apple hospital in Guadalajara and I'm told it cannot be fixed. :( What really amazes me is the number of people out there with the same problem... with the iPhone 4, 5, 6 and 7. These phones are not cheap!

Presently using a Samsung s4 borrowed from friends who bought it new here in 2013. It's a pretty darn good little phone but it's not my iPhone.

iPhones: lots of fun to use, but I won't get another for the same reasons as you posted and because of the high price. Bad WiFi for several models now; failing reception from cell towers; and worse, plain lousy sound. (Yes, I've had two.) EDIT: I had the 4 and 5 base models.

On the other hand, to get a phone with a really good quality, Optically Stabilised Imaging camera, costs a fortune in the Android world.

17 minutes ago, Ferret said:

Too funny... nobody's answering ALL my questions.

What make and model, what server, ... HOW OLD... WHERE PURCHASED.

Your question is too vague and it is obvious you are an Apple stooge and need no replies from Android users if they can understand what the fook you asked.

I am NOT an apple stooge. I bought into the hype and all my grandkids have them and we wanted to text. I happen to very much like the Samsung s4 that I'm using now. Samsung is an Android. DUH! Between Android/Apple phones and a windows 10 laptop, I'm having lots of fun crossing the platforms.

It's a SIMPLE set of questions... go have another coffee.

4 minutes ago, Ferret said:

I am NOT an apple stooge. I bought into the hype and all my grandkids have them and we wanted to text. I happen to very much like the Samsung s4 that I'm using now. Samsung is an Android. DUH! Between Android/Apple phones and a windows 10 laptop, I'm having lots of fun crossing the platforms.

It's a SIMPLE set of questions... go have another coffee.

What does that Samsung s4 cost these days?

(Angus  could use at least 2 more coffees)

13 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

The Blu series of phone is quite impressive for the price.

It is a simple Smart phone. The only problem I have had is I keep added more apps than I really need. hahaha

The latest model has doubled internal memory. I think the new model is still under $200.00.

3 hours ago, Ferret said:

Too funny... nobody's answering ALL my questions.

What make and model, what server, ... HOW OLD... WHERE PURCHASED.

iPhone X, Telcel, 5 months, Seattle Apple Store

My previous phone, iPhone 6 Plus, Telcel, don't remember, Seattle Apple Store

And yes the reception on both phones has decreased slightly over time and it's harder to get 4G. I believe the problem is with Telcel not my phones, as they worked fine where signals were normally weak up north

Why did I upgrade? I didn't need to. I just wanted to upgrade. Is the new iPhone X better, yes in many ways. How much does the new iPhone cost? Too much, but I did trade the old one in and got a somewhat lower price. But still too much and I am afraid to tell. :) 

My iPhone X works great, 4G LTE, TMobile plan with a US number, via online Apple store delivered in USA.  I got it about 6 months ago.  4G hotspot works great in SJC when telecable goes down.  Apple has over 1 billion users with better customer satisfaction than any other smartphone manufacturer.   The people who attack Apple users as a cult that have been dooped in some way are misguided.   Google and Apple have both won the mobile era, they are merely consumer choices.  There is no one correct choice for everyone.   Price is just one factor in an individual’s buying choice.  It’s like cars, many choices available and all are likely to do their intended job.   Pick the one you like, are comfortable with and can afford.

6 minutes ago, LakeViews said:

The people who attack Apple users as a cult that have been dooped in some way are misguided.

Attack? I do not attack Appleites or other handicapped people.

On 6/6/2018 at 9:48 AM, Tiny said:

I have a BLU Grand 5.5 Android phone using AT&T 2 times (2 SIM cards). I paid $120.00 on Amazon two years ago. 

Bought a BLU R2 Plus with dual SIMs in April from Amazon for $130.  Using one slot for US carrier and the other TelCel.  Happy so far.  Good reception on both SIMs.  Large screen (5.5), excellent camera. 

I would like to thank everyone who has contributed to my enquiry so far. I'm leaning towards the blu so far. And I want the big screen because typing on a little screen with long fingers and a large hand is a little like tryin' to milk a mouse.

BTW, it has nothing to do with cost as much as reliability. I resent paying good money for something that doesn't last very long. There is no value there at all... no matter how many bells and whistles it has, if the basics aren't met then it's just a silk purse made out of a sow's ear.

Ben Bajarin, writing for tech.pinions:

“When it came to overall customer satisfaction, iPhone X owners in our study gave the product an overall 97% customer satisfaction. While that number is impressive, what really stands out when you do customer satisfaction studies is the percentage who say they are very satisfied with the product. Considering you add up the total number of very satisfied, and satisfied, to get your total customer satisfaction number a product can have a high number of satisfied responses and lower number of very satisfied responses and still achieve a high number. The higher the very satisfied responses, the better a product truly is. In our study, 85% of iPhone X owners said they were very satisfied with the product.”

Of course they're satisfied. It's brand spankin' NEW. I would like to see a review of the same people after they've had it and used it for two years. I loved mine... until it stopped working after 18 months.

Over the last x years I, in the US, have owned a Samsung S4, Motorola G4 and now an LG Stylo 3 Plus. All were Android of course. Liked them all and never had any problems with any. Moved from the Samsung to the Moto to get a larger screen; Moved to the LG fairly recently to get wifi calling and tethering that was not available at that time on the Moto G4.  I have used both the Moto and now the LG in Mexico using T-Mobile's "partnership" with Telcel and it/they worked flawlessly.

Bought my wife an iPhone 4+. Often had connection problems with AT&T when I was not. After a year or so the wifi on the 4+ would not work consistently., no matter whose wifi signal she was trying to use. Researched and found that the iPhone 4 had antenna problems that could be fixed by freezing it (put it in the freezer for an hour!). Did that and it would work for a while but then fail again. Apple folks conceded there was a problem but only would fix if still under warranty, which it was not.  Since my wife has an iPad and REALLY wanted the Apple connectivity between the iPad and iPhone, I bought her a 6+ a year or so ago. It seems to be working OK (except for when I know the problem is either her or call-transfering within the carrier which seems to have disappeared when I switched her to T-Mobile from AT&T).

Archived