Chapala.com Webboard

Replacing CFE meter with new one

What does CFE require to do this, if anything?

What is the cost of doing this, if any?

How long from request until meter is replaced? Mas o menos.

Can anyone do this? Or what kind of proof is necessary to show to CFE that this is, in fact, the meter they are using if CFE bill is not in their name? Will a simple lease suffice?

Looking for facts, not guesses.

Thanks.

I doubt that a tenant can have a meter changed. The owner of the account will probably have to make that request & have a good reason.......then lots of luck.

FYI, CFE won't even change a meter that is dead and is costing them money. I reported and then waited OVER A YEAR and nothing happened. I reminded them every couple of months that it hadn't magically resurrected itself but still nothing happened. YMMV.

Hmmm.  I plan to turn in an extra CFE meter soon.  It had been connected to our small "sleeping" casita but we tied the casita into the new main meter after going solar.  I will let you know how that turns out.  

CFE came out and replaced our meter a year ago. They must've entered the numbers wrong since my next bill was double normal (and then the bill dropped back to the usual amount the bill after)! Went to CFE, should've saved my breath. Might have helped if i had taken a date stamped photo of our meter before and after.

• 1 month later...
On 5/30/2018 at 5:16 PM, Bisbee Gal said:

Hmmm.  I plan to turn in an extra CFE meter soon.  It had been connected to our small "sleeping" casita but we tied the casita into the new main meter after going solar.  I will let you know how that turns out.  

I went to CFE in May with that bill (showing zero kwh for the 2 month period of April and May) and asked them to close the account and remove that meter.  Woman at desk acted like this was a routine request (no big discussion or having to get someone from back office to come out front).  Had me sign a paper for the request and said they'd remove the meter and close the account.  

Just got another minimum bill for June and July (again showing no kwh).    

Will return to CFE this week and try again.  I don't care if they remove the meter or not, but annoyed at minimum bill.  

I've had the same situation at both CFE and TelMex. You sit there forever while they prepare endless online forms, and then nothing ever happens. I think if I could see the computer screens, I'd realize they are actually chatting with WhatsApp and playing video games. I know one gal at Viajes Ajijic who would type unbelieveable amounts of information into her PC while I was booking a trip, and one day I discovered she was just talking to all her friends on Messenger.

Archived