Chapala.com Webboard

We need to relocate a pair of Tlacuaches

7 minutes ago, Mainecoons said:

If you have a suggestion to offer as to how to safely and humanely relocate them please offer it.  Otherwise...

Can't you Google?

http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/opossums/tips/solving_problems_opossums.html

MC....when we had them years ago at a different property here, we contacted the local rescue team (not sure they are still around).  They told us it was illegal to catch and release them under Mexican law. 

Our solution was a motion detector water sprinkler.  Within a few weeks they stopped coming into our yard. 

11 minutes ago, AngusMactavish said:

Read your own link.  It is irrelevant, I have no idea where their den is but think it may be on the vacant lot behind us. 

I need a local solution not something from the U.S.  If you can't offer one please stay off my thread, thanks.

Bisbee, do you still have that contact for local rescue team?

Vern and Lori Geiger but their FB page has not been updated since 2015.  Not sure they are still around.  Lakeside Wildlife was the name of the organization.  

They used to do demos and presentations fairly often with injured/rehabbed wild animals that could not be released back to the wild.  But have not seen them or ads mentioning them since we returned to Ajijic last year.  They were also the couple that coordinated the Christmas Dinner donations for the Bomberos for which Lori would solicit donations here at the webboard, but I did not see that recently either.  

3 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

Thanks.  That would be hard to implement here given the size and layout of our grounds.

How about hosting a dog for a few days?  

The dog is a good idea. I used to have one that came in my house where I rented years ago- there was no way to keep it out, as the house had an open palapa covered balcony upstairs that was open to the staircase to the downstairs. There were trees all around, so easy for the possum to enter. The clueless gringo who had built the house years before obviously had never considered the wildlife problem.

I sublet one summer to a gal with a dog. The possum disappeared and never returned. 

Archived