Chapala.com Webboard

Follow-up on bean sellers.

If these kids parents need money? In Jocotepec the berry fields need all the help they can get. Every old yellow school bus has signs help wanted. These buses go from Inchlauhcan (sp) to Guadalajara on the other end. So transportation, honest work and IMSS. Average pay about 1500 pesos weekly. Some of the good pickers make more than 600 pesos daily. My friend she is a packer 1500 or more weekly.

There the big boys Driscolls/Berrymex, Dole and a host of private farmers.

I am in school studying nursing. I am 65 yo a Gringo and improving my life. Anyone can go to these schools and learn a trade. Sell yourself to a clinic or Doctor or a caregiver service.

BTW this is just basic skills but good knowledge. I am having a hoot in my class with 28 other students.

Why are you telling us about the berry picking? You should be telling the kid's parents.

Is this nursing school free? See the circle? They would need sponsorship or the school be part of the public school system.

I was referring to the parents. Sorry if people misunderstood. There is opportunity everywhere!  Nursing costs very where a person studies. Best Guadalajara for a real license. Expensive but, a person can earn real money. From Chapala there are classes for someone to become a Primeros Auxililos which I am studying. Cheap! I am paying for myself and two other ladies. I just want people to know there is opportunity everywhere! So Tiny who are going to sponsor?

Plus I tell everybody I cross paths with here in Beautiful Jocotepec. I contribute to my area as much as I can.  

Some of these parents beat their children if they don't come back with enough money at the end of the day. Those parents aren't going to be holding honest jobs picking berries in Joco, which is about two hours from where they all live anyway, in San Pedro Itzicán, where the kidney disease epidemic is centered. Apparently, at least one father is disabled and unable to work.

So no. Not anyone can go to these schools and learn a trade. To compare the life a relatively rich 65-year-old gringo now living overseas to an indigenous person living in abject poverty is... well, quite amazing, actually.

1. The teacher I use is finishing his class in Chapala. There are others. I don't know who or where in Chapala. In Jocotepec you can contact Maria Jose at 33-31-43-9584.
    22 hours ago, ficklepie said:

Some of these parents beat their children if they don't come back with enough money at the end of the day. Those parents aren't going to be holding honest jobs picking berries in Joco, which is about two hours from where they all live anyway, in San Pedro Itzicán, where the kidney disease epidemic is centered. Apparently, at least one father is disabled and unable to work.

So no. Not anyone can go to these schools and learn a trade. To compare the life a relatively rich 65-year-old gringo now living overseas to an indigenous person living in abject poverty is... well, quite amazing, actually.

21 hours ago, cstone said:

Vetteforron, If you would, please share the information on the school in Chapala. I know someone who would be interested. Does she need to speak English to attend ?

ficklepie , if you know of people beating their kids report them to DIF something will happen. I have seen these kids for almost 17 years none of them I have seen looked beaten.  In my opinion there no excuse for a person not to better themselves. I have been poor and ok many times in my life. Being poor is not static. If a person has a disability that's another thing. Relatively rich....Ha!

23 hours ago, ficklepie said:

And you know all this... how?

No, seriously Tiny... look at how nasty people are getting. None of us wants bad for anybody in tough situations; that doesn't mean my ideas or your ideas are to be stomped upon because one of us knows "better" than the other. Both these threads on bean kids have devolved into that.

7 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

No, seriously Tiny... look at how nasty people are getting. None of us wants bad for anybody in tough situations; that doesn't mean my ideas or your ideas are to stomped upon because one of us knows "better" than the other. Both these threads on bean kids have devolved into that.

Things go bad when we make assumptions based on what we wish to believe rather than on facts.  Also, some folks never heard of disagreeing without being disagreeable.

When I lived in SMA, the beggar scene downtown around the plaza had women stationed every few feet, usually older women, and very often they would have a young child with them. A local reporter did an expose in which it was said that a very well organized operation would bring them to their locations and would pick them up again later for a fee. The children were "borrowed" for the gig.  The take home money was most often confiscated by their men and used for drinking money. If that were all true, it was saddening.  But who knows? The reporter might have exaggerated or downright lied.

No seriously, ComputerGuy...  HAHAHAHAHA

I hear what you are saying.  I think that this thread should not have started in first place.  Why keep writing over and over about known problems if you are not willing to try and help. I can believe that people can not come up ideas to help the community, not necessarily with the these kids.

The world is full of unbelievable problems. Today I read that in China, mothers are not being allowed to see their newborns until the hospital bill is paid. Is this a "privilege" problem, less worthy of my attention than the millions of formerly middle-class refugees now suffering in camps all over the middle east? Should I focus my attention there, or on the homeless in my home town?

It's ridiculous and narcissistic to suggest that anyone is failing to do their part in a topic like this.

Thanks for the info. We have young men coming to our gate several times a week asking for work. We will refer them to Joco. It's hardly easy work, but many of the plants are in raised beds so not back breaking either. Great idea.

Archived