Chapala.com Webboard

Nixtamal

Rudy mallinee

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is a better secret: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003U4M4ZC/?coliid=I1648W2OS3TF3Q&colid=2KEDG81O49WV2&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

It starts with the oil. And watch out if you buy Flavacol: it is WAY salty. But it works.

$23 from Amazon, $10 from their website. Except they charge about 10 bugs a gallon to ship it, lol.

10 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

This is a better secret: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003U4M4ZC/?coliid=I1648W2OS3TF3Q&colid=2KEDG81O49WV2&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

It starts with the oil. And watcfh out if you buy Flavacol: it is WAY salty. But it works.

$23 from Amazon, $10 from their website. Except they charge about 10 bugs a gallon to ship it, lol.

Price: $22.89 ($0.18 / Fl Oz) 
This item does not ship to CHAPALA, Mexico. Please check other sellers who may ship internationally.

1 hour ago, Tiny said:

The secret to microwave popcorn is don't eat it.  🤣

Using my own quote.

Instead of packaged microwave popcorn, put some kennels in a paper bag (lunch size), microwave and add toppings.

15 minutes ago, AngusMactavish said:
One-time Purchase 
$21.48 ($0.17 / Fl Oz)

This item does not ship to CHAPALA, Mexico. Please check other sellers who may ship internationally.

I guess you will have to come to GDL to enjoy some.

1 hour ago, AngusMactavish said:
Price: $22.89 ($0.18 / Fl Oz) 

And...?

2 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

Gave you some prices, wise guy. Didn't tell anyone to order it.

Wise guy? You put out BS and get pizzed when you are shown to be wrong that it won't ship from Amazon at any price. You sure aren't wise of any color.

BS? Really. Where did I say anything about shipping?  I mention Amazon, and you do your usual disconnected flipout. You're just never happy, I know. It's okay. We put up with you anyway. Look, there's another sandbox over there...

47 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

BS? Really. Where did I say anything about shipping?

4 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

Yes, BS.

That was not Amazon, that was the manufacturing company, and I said nothing about shipping to Mexico. But of course that doesn't suit your flailing argument, so it doesn't really matter, does it.  I assumed everyone reading would just get it, forgetting that everything has to be spelled out to you, or you take offense. Keep on keepin' on, but stick that lower lip back in.

Good. Go. We are all better off.

So for those who didn't enjoy this little side-trip into stupidland, let me reiterate: the cooking oil, whether coconut or a theatre-type mix, is to me as important as anything else. With the theatre mixes, the "butter" flavours are pummeled into the corn while it pops, providing a more even and less salty taste than adding it afterwards.

There are a variety of manufacturers of the flavoured oil, each with their own Web presence. But rather than having it shipped to Texas (free with Amazon Prime U.S.) and recruiting Alex Peterson to bring it down for me, instead I ordered a case of packages that come with the flavoured oil, the yellow salt, and the kernels, ready to pop. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00C5MVGX6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The flavour is great, but the corn kernels are stale, so I am using the oil from the kits, and my own corn Purchased at WalMart.

What a shame. We go from an important discussion of the nutrition of the Mexican people and the deleterious involvement of the Mexican government therein, to the fine points of American microwave popcorn. Gresham's Law upheld: the bad penny always drives out the good.

Well our housekeeper followed through, brought a big ball of nixtamilized corn dough and her comal. Then she made us a Comida Mexicana. Mexican rice with tomatoes, side salad, and we brought out some prawns, and made garlic fried prawns with a sweet tomato sauce. Apparently she uses catsup, soy sauce and one other ingredient, which escape at this moment. Real corn tortillas are DEFINITELY worth pursuing. She also told us the corn is harvested in November/December.

On 5/24/2018 at 1:08 PM, El Bizco said:

What a shame. We go from an important discussion of the nutrition of the Mexican people and the deleterious involvement of the Mexican government therein, to the fine points of American microwave popcorn. Gresham's Law upheld: the bad penny always drives out the good.

I hardly think this discussion was important. And a good thread takes you on interesting side trips. But perhaps you are suggesting that popcorn lovers are somehow inferior to corn tortilla lovers.

3 hours ago, CHILLIN said:

Well our housekeeper followed through, brought a big ball of nixtamilized corn dough and her comal. Then she made us a Comida Mexicana. Mexican rice with tomatoes, side salad, and we brought out some prawns, and made garlic fried prawns with a sweet tomato sauce. Apparently she uses catsup, soy sauce and one other ingredient, which escape at this moment. Real corn tortillas are DEFINITELY worth pursuing. She also told us the corn is harvested in November/December.

I eat at a fantastic little taco stand in Barra de Navidad when I am there. I don't know at all if their corn is nixtamalized, but their homemade tortillas are several cuts above most taco places. Delicious in their own right.

12 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

I hardly think this discussion was important. And a good thread takes you on interesting side trips. But perhaps you are suggesting that popcorn lovers are somehow inferior to corn tortilla lovers.

I must have missed something here.  This discussion was not only about the differences between tortillas made of processed masa harina and tortillas made of nixtamalize-d corn.  It was also about the urgent need to preserve, protect, and promoteMexico's native corns, including, I had hoped, the original native corn: popcorn.  You (the generic 'you', not necessarily you personally, CG) might think this urgency is unimportant, but tell that to the farmers.  When BigAg comes tromping onto your parcela and your way of life that has come to you from (literally) the Stone Age, having to give that up because the government has sold the nation a bill of goods is a tough business. 

Folks, there are only 59 varieties of native corns left in all of Mexico.  Mexico CREATED corn, and it is being stolen out from under us with ever-increasing speed.  Mexico IS the people of the corn.  Sin maíz no hay país. Without corn there is no country.  See that picture down there?  Look at it closely.  Look at those ears of corn.  Tell me again it's not important.  

OK, pay no attention.  It's not important.  Buy your imported American popcorn at Walmart.  Buy your processed nopal "tortillas" at OXXO.  The hell with Mexico's heritage.  Wait, YOU LIVE HERE.  Oh yeah, but committed to the place you live?   Not so much, huh?  

Let's see, next?  Oh yeah, where can I buy Sugar Frosted Flakes?   

2 La Planta del Hombre de Maíz Mural Templo Rojo Cacaxtla, Tlaxcala.jpg

Okay, since you are one of my favourite people, let me be more clear. Good to know and be aware of? Absolutely. Perhaps my response was a little too flip, because I was enjoying this thread until we got "high and mightied." I certainly meant no offense. I blew it; my bad.

So how do we buy native corn, dried on the cob, in the LakeChapala area? Is there a co-operative, or something like that, so the milpa farmers can skip the middle person? Is there an agricultrual outreach programme here, I would also like a calendar, specific to lakeside, as to when fresh fruits and vegetables are grown locally, and when to expect to see them in the tiendas or straight from the farms. Ms. Chillin is going to make quesadillas today, I am going to ask her to put some zartar seasoning on mine.😋I know this is another sidetrack, but here is a bunch of healthy recipes using zaatar, perfect for this hot weather spell. You can buy the spice at Superlake. I tried making my own with black limes, instead of sumac, but it is not the same:

https://www.bonappetit.com/ingredient/zaatar

Archived