Chapala.com Webboard

Notes from recent road trip to Laredo

tomgates

There is a new liberamento from Lagos de Moreno to just north of SLP, about 150 km of good road, but a wide 2 lane. Take a left just past the big Pemex on the left approaching Lagos, some real bumps on this north bypass (watch the very poor railroad crossing) and then smooth sailing. 

That north bypass to Lagos has been around for quite some time and was pretty poor and usually clogged with trucks.  Has it been improved?

There is also a new west side cuota bypass to SLP.  It was open on our last trip north 8 months ago.  Instead of exiting onto the south cuota south of SLP you just keep going straight and it starts at the end of the already improved free road.

Some of the politicians running for Jalisco governor have promised to fix that poor Lagos bypass.  It is really the only bad road now between here and Pharr.  Would love to see this happen.  Seems to me the best solution would be a new connector between the cuota north of Lagos and some point before one gets to Lagos.  It would definitely be worth another toll IMO.

This was the first time my Garmin had me go the bypass I had mentioned. Previously, it routed me thru town, which was pretty easy. Not sure if going thru town now would dump me on to the new liberamento however.

Going through town will 'dump you' at the same round-about as when one takes the 'bypass' west of Lagos. Since word came out a couple of years ago of the deplorable shape of the bypass, I now go right through town and it is easy.... especially if one uses their smartphone or GPS.

The 'new' western bypass of SLP is very nice, although I did almost miss it just south of Ville de Arriaga going north.

Note:  Since I drive a good bit in Mexico, I personally find it very helpful to, before my trip, take a look at my intended route on my computer using Google Maps. There I can for example zoom into downtown Lagos de Moreno and visualize how the road traverses the city. Then when I actually get there it's not all a mystery... using a GPS or not.  I find that Google Maps is pretty much up to date even in Mexico. The western bypass of SLP is an example in that Maps had it there pretty soon after it was opened. Maps 'Street Scene' lags a bit but of course that takes a photo-vehicle on-the-ground to accomplish so it is no wonder that it lags a bit. That western route, 80D up to the 40D is still not available for example.

YMMV

Archived