Chapala.com Webboard

Smoked fish

Rudy mallinee

Really like smoked mahi (buy it in FL); never seen it here.  Don't care for smoked mackerel.  Never had smoked snapper or grouper but would try them.  I don't go to Tues. Market so have not tried the trout here, but enjoy it in the US.  If I saw it here, I would buy it.

I prefer the hot smoked salmon we get here compared to the AK-sourced we've had (but don't tell our Kodiak friends).  The smoked salmon here is a lot more moist but maybe that varies from smoker to smoker??  

Prices.....hmmmm.  Don't know the weight; I usually get a piece that runs between 110p and 125p and we get 4 servings out of it as part of a cold plate as a light meal.   

10 hours ago, Bisbee Gal said:

Hot and cold smoked salmon available at Thursday Market in Ajijic.  The hot smoked is excellent; we buy it weekly.  

Where is the Ajijic Thursday Market? I live in Ajijic and have never heard of the Ajijic Thursday Market

16 minutes ago, johanson said:

Where is the Ajijic Thursday Market? I live in Ajijic and have never heard of the Ajijic Thursday Market

It is hosted at Jasmine's Restaurant opposite the south side of the Plaza.  Not sure exact hours.  Maybe 10 to 2 ???

I do remember hearing about that a long time ago. I had forgotten all about and on what day it met.  Do many people show up to sell products?  I'm guessing it is only a small group. Please correct me if I  am wrong.

Thanks for the replies.

Seems everyone here in Alaska has their own receipe for smoking fish...

I agree, hot smoked, moist,,, and depending on the person additional spices are added. No spices for me though.

I've smoked a variety of fish for 50 years and if smoked right most all are good, even the Mackerel !  But most fish that are not an oily fish are difficult to smoke so as to not dry out.

Even more so, if you've ever tried eating fresh fried or baked Mullet, which I do NOT like, when It's smoked correctly, It's very good. Ever tried any smoked Sturgeon? Excellent eating.

At 120P for a small piece of smoked salmon is about US$6..   Be nice to know the weight for what you are paying for it per pound. 

Historically, smoking fish in the colder climes was a necessity back in the day, and now just an all-around fact of life. Here, fresh fish is fairly abundant, so a different culture revolves around it. Which explains why there isn't that much smoked.

Very good smoked salmon can be had at the fish store where SuperLake is located. Not the thin greasy stuff, but actual pieces.

2 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

Historically, smoking fish in the colder climes was a necessity back in the day, and now just an all-around fact of life. Here, fresh fish is fairly abundant, so a different culture revolves around it. Which explains why there isn't that much smoked.

Very good smoked salmon can be had at the fish store where SuperLake is located. Not the thin greasy stuff, but actual pieces.

These are the different types of cured and/or smoked salmon.  

Lox and gravlax refers to salmon cured in a salt-sugar rub or brine, but not smoked or cooked. 

Nova is cured then cold-smoked (not fully cooked) at 75 to 85 degrees for 6 to 12 hours.   

Hot Smoked is cured, then fully cooked with heated wood smoke at 120 to 180 degrees, cooking the salmon through.  

I smoke my salmon on the BBQ, after marinating it in brown sugar, soy, and rum. If I let it smoke long enough, the edges become candy. I have a customer who is here 6 months of the year, from Quebec, and he cold-smokes his... it's his business back home, but he does it for "fun" here. Although at $1,000p a kilo, it's kinda pricey.

Archived