Chapala.com Webboard

GOOD chinese food anywhere?

Dan M

7 minutes ago, pappysmarket said:

Xena, thanks for the description and the idea! A bacon salad will be on my list of "what to fix" for supper some day next week. Don't see how I can go wrong.

If you have not already thought about this, my suggestion is not mix the bacon into the salad. Serve the bacon on the side. Why? If you have any salad left over, you can easily re-crisp the bacon.

If Tango serves it that tells me plenty of people like it......for me I can't imagine voluntarily consuming watercress. At a certain age certainly not smoking or consuming alcohol is still a great idea but watercress to say you eat healthy?  OK, whatever works. 😅

On 5/19/2018 at 5:16 PM, pappysmarket said:

If Tango serves it that tells me plenty of people like it......for me I can't imagine voluntarily consuming watercress. At a certain age certainly not smoking or consuming alcohol is still a great idea but watercress to say you eat healthy?  OK, whatever works. 😅

Watercress is delicious and very inexpensive!  I buy it to serve it stir-fried with garlic as a green vegetable, poached in chicken broth with a poached quail egg on top (as a soup), and fresh and crisp as a salad.  Try it, you'll like it.  It tastes green and slightly peppery.  I might have to go get some tomorrow at the tianguis near me. 

As a kid I and my friends used to scrape some from a neighborhood pond and eat it. I honestly can't remember if it was because we were not getting enough food at home (which was definitely the case with me) or just boys being boys. Since I have been supporting myself (going on 53 years now) watercress has never been anything I care to consume but I have no problem with other folks, who have no such memories, doing so. Salud!

2 minutes ago, AngusMactavish said:

I love watercress (berro), but worry that since it is grown in water, Mexican water locally, my instincts say yuk.

Do you think that they import water for everything else that is grown here?  HAHAHAHAHA

1 hour ago, Tiny said:

Do you think that they import water for everything else that is grown here?  HAHAHAHAHA

Please tell me what other aquatic plants are grown in Mexico for human consumption?

Concerns

Watercress crops grown in the presence of manure can be an environment for parasites such as the liver fluke, Fasciola hepatica. By inhibiting cytochrome P450 (CYP2E1), compounds in watercress may alter drug metabolism in individuals on certain medications such as chlorzoxazone.

Archived