Chapala.com Webboard

SUper Lake bean sellers gone?

Haven't seen them for a while. In fact, there are NO vendors inside or out: we used to enjoy the specialty displays set up by any variety of people and companies selling interesting stuff. I'm hoping Pancho in his new store in Riberas in September will bring back this concept. But not the bean kids.

Come to think of it this very minor distraction is no longer found in front of Superlake. Oh well, I hadn't even noticed until someone posted asking where they are. I think I see some of them, now, near or in front of the Ajijic Farmacia Guadalajara.

1 hour ago, ned small said:

What's the big deal when a simple "no" works every time. This topic isn't worth wasting comment nor space on unless total boredom has settled in.

It is like the Evening News. They have to report on something.

On 5/16/2018 at 12:41 PM, court0503 said:

Occurred to me today I havent seen the gang of bean sellers around for awhile ...chased off? gone with the snowbirds or Moved on to greener pastures maybe?  Happy they’re gone in any case

How VERY mean-spirited of you!  A polite "no gracias" and they leave you alone.  But did it ever occur to you that this is a main source of income for very poor people?

2 hours ago, Natasha said:

But did it ever occur to you that this is a main source of income for very poor people?

No - it is child abuse. These kids should be in homes which will nuture them, get them in school, keep them healthy,  break the cycle of poverty. Otherwise when they get older, they often become victims of the sex trades. Like or not, this also what D.I.F. believes too.

31 minutes ago, CHILLIN said:

No - it is child abuse. These kids should be in homes which will nuture them, get them in school, keep them healthy,  break the cycle of poverty. Otherwise when they get older, they often become victims of the sex trades. Like or not, this also what D.I.F. believes too.

So for everyone that feels this way, why don't you give one kid's parents a full time job with a good wage to start to break the circle. Don't leave it up to someone else.

Those children probably do go to school, but must still contribute to the family income.  School is split session with morning and afternoon schedules. Half of the children attend in the morning and half in the afternoon.  So, you will always see children anytime during the day. Some must work to eat.

22 minutes ago, RVGRINGO said:

Those children probably do go to school, but must still contribute to the family income.  School is split session with morning and afternoon schedules. Half of the children attend in the morning and half in the afternoon.  So, you will always see children anytime during the day. Some must work to eat.

They may be going to school but in many cases that is not preparing the children to work after school . Just like in the US, there are very few technical schools to prepare for a huge portion of jobs. For example: construction, factory, auto repair, etc. 

We do have a carpentry trade school here called Have Hammer... will travel who I think has students who you can sponsor or a young guy or girl you know that you can sponsor like your maid or gardeners kid.  

That is great to hear. But that is a start. So much more is needed. 

For the last 6 to 8 weeks, I have had 2 to 4 young men working every day on our house. These guys work for a company but originally just hired off the street with no training, only on the job training.  They needed training on brick laying, plastering, cement, painting, etc. Luck for me, the two head men are here every day and have quite a bit of on hands experience.  

The first floor was taken down to the bricks for the moisture treatment. Second floor the texturing was removed.  Fortunately, they did not have to do anything to the third level. From the brick it was cement, plaster, and paint.  And lots of dust.

4 hours ago, CHILLIN said:

You just used the word "should".  Ideally, what you suggest "should" happen.  What, exactly, is going to make it happen?  

58 minutes ago, hammerhead said:

We do have a carpentry trade school here called Have Hammer... will travel who I think has students who you can sponsor or a young guy or girl you know that you can sponsor like your maid or gardeners kid.  

When you say young guy or girl, I was wondering if they are at a age where they are ready to work? If so, I wonder if you worked with local companies for employment?

The problem is that Tiny and RV have not seen these kids. They are very young (under 8?) and they play in traffic. At least two of them look like fetal alcohol sydrome kids., that should give you some sort of clue. Some say that the Cruz Florida shooter, and his brother, have facial features which indicate this disorder.

8 minutes ago, CHILLIN said:

The problem is that Tiny and RV have not seen these kids. They are very young (under 8?) and they play in traffic. At least two of them look like fetal alcohol sydrome kids., that should give you some sort of clue.

So, you are saying that the only place that there are kids like that is in Lakeside. Give me a #### break. I live in GDL. Kids here age 8 is the older kids. Your problem is so minor to compared to here.

15 hours ago, gringal said:

You just used the word "should".  Ideally, what you suggest "should" happen.  What, exactly, is going to make it happen?  

D.I.F. in Mexico is like Child Protection Service in the U.S., these "at risk" children are usually placed in group homes, and the social workers try to work it out with the families. There are many such group homes Lakeside, and many expats who support them. Some are criticized because they require the kids to convert, and continue receiving religious instruction in their faith. A can of worms.

7 minutes ago, CHILLIN said:

D.I.F. in Mexico is like Child Protection Service in the U.S., these "at risk" children are usually placed in group homes, and the social workers try to work it out with the families. There are many such group homes Lakeside, and many expats who support them. Some are criticized because they require the kids to convert, and continue receiving religious instruction in their faith. A can of worms.

And just like the US, they can only handle the tip of the problem.

Do you provde support to the Lakeside group homes or just talk about how terrible a problem it is?

7 minutes ago, Tiny said:

And just like the US, they can only handle the tip of the problem.

Do you provde support to the Lakeside group homes or just talk about how terrible a problem it is?

Not so far. But many do, or did, including Ned Small. Maybe we do things differently here, for example I would never let a worker "off the street" into my home without checking their voter card (to see if they are who they say they are) and also pay for a criminal background check (100 pesos). I have never claimed it is terrible, just child exploitation. In Puerto Vallarta a car would come up and drop of a bunch of cute kids selling gum or trinkets. That vehicle happed to be a fairly new Mercedes Benz. The city ordered D.I.F. to take action, and they did. Turns out, that many of these kids, including babies, are rented out to professional beggars. This is Mexico problem, that will require a Mexican solution. I will be long gone before this young generation starts shooting up schools, etc.

19 minutes ago, CHILLIN said:

. In Puerto Vallarta a car would come up and drop of a bunch of cute kids selling gum or trinkets. That vehicle happed to be a fairly new Mercedes Benz. The city ordered D.I.F. to take action, and they did. Turns out, that many of these kids, including babies, are rented out to professional beggars

Can you send me this article or the link to it?

I don't know why you are so interested in this.

Here is one article about the crackdown in Puerto Vallarta.

http://www.banderasnews.com/0803/edop-mexhomelessness.htm

Here is story about professional beggars.

https://www.hoaxorfact.com/Social-Awareness/begging-gangs-hire-babies-and-drug-them-to-sleep-facts-analysis.html

Archived