Chapala.com Webboard

AT&T RIP OFF

Zeb

15 hours ago, Zeb said:

The phone did work at their location only.  The woman said to us today that the problem was the signal from our house, which is not true, as we have another cell phone from Telcel which does work from our house.  Okay, so we didn't handle as you suggested.  We were not hysterical, but visibly angry.  We did get upset when she refused to get a refund sent to us.  Anyway, its done, so we can't change it.  The most helpful thing now is what can we do about it to get our money back.  We want a refund sent to us in whatever form they can manage if they can't give cash back.

As I understand it, there is PROFECO.  I looked at their website and don't understand it.  I was able to find a small brochure it English, which I printed out, however,   I have their toll free number, however, I don't know if there would be an English speaker to help.

I have had an AT&T cellular phone for 2+ years. It has worked everywhere around Lakeside and Guadalajara and along the toll roads to the USA. Wonder if it is your phone. If you have a Telcel put your AT&T sim in it to see if it works at your house.

15 hours ago, Zeb said:

I did not ask for sympathy.  I asked for suggestions on how to get the refund, or file a consumer complaint.

Does the phone work almost everywhere else, other than your home? It might be best to use that phone when you are away from home and use the TelCel from home along with your home phone until your year  is up. Or you could sell it with the year's service too anyone who does not live in your residence or very close by.  Many people have cells that they have to go to garden to use but not inside. This is true with Verizon, AT&T, Sprint and TelCel. There are always going to be places where the signal doesn't reach.  Radio signals are funny about shadowing, bouncing, and hitting twice from two different towers and canceling out. 

If building, it will be a good idea to hardwire every room for both telephone and cable lines, as well as a computer ethernet line from wherever your modem is likely to be located.  Things are changing fast. If you don‘t want all that done, you would have to use wireless gadgets, which can be difficult in heavy, reinforced masonry construction.

5 hours ago, geeser said:

I have had an AT&T cellular phone for 2+ years. It has worked everywhere around Lakeside and Guadalajara and along the toll roads to the USA. Wonder if it is your phone. If you have a Telcel put your AT&T sim in it to see if it works at your house.

The phone itself worked has worked fine when I had TelCel service.  As the phone works in the AT&T office, it seems to us, by process of elimination that the phone is not defective.  We have some other phones which are currently locked.  Nonetheless, we can have someone unlock them and try your second idea anyway.  There is nothing to lose at this point.

3 hours ago, RVGRINGO said:

If building, it will be a good idea to hardwire every room for both telephone and cable lines, as well as a computer ethernet line from wherever your modem is likely to be located.  Things are changing fast. If you don‘t want all that done, you would have to use wireless gadgets, which can be difficult in heavy, reinforced masonry construction.

Yes.  This is exactly what we are doing.

4 hours ago, geeser said:

Does the phone work almost everywhere else, other than your home? It might be best to use that phone when you are away from home and use the TelCel from home along with your home phone until your year  is up. Or you could sell it with the year's service too anyone who does not live in your residence or very close by.  Many people have cells that they have to go to garden to use but not inside. This is true with Verizon, AT&T, Sprint and TelCel. There are always going to be places where the signal doesn't reach.  Radio signals are funny about shadowing, bouncing, and hitting twice from two different towers and canceling out. 

There is certainly much I don't understand about these systems.  My only basis for comparison was my previous TelCel phone service, which was never a problem inside our house.  I did try the AT&T  service out in our patio and it did not work there either.

I appreciate your ideas and certainly selling it is a creative solution.

Archived