Chapala.com Webboard

Texting in the UK

I have a Mexican cell phone.  I am going to England and am meeting Canadian friends there.  I want to text them on their Canadian cell phone from my Telcel phone.  Can this be done?  What numbers do I preface their phone number with?  I have searched Google, but can’t find the answer to this combination.  I know I can text them in Canada, from there, but what about when they are in UK?  Anybody know this?

If you download the free app whatsapp, my guess is, as long as you have internet, you can text anybody in the world who has whatsapp, regardless of what country you are in.  Just make sure whoever you are going to be texting, that they have whatsapp, if not ask them to download, it justs takes a second and its free.

17 minutes ago, dichosalocura said:

If you download the free app whatsapp, my guess is, as long as you have internet, you can text anybody in the world who has whatsapp, regardless of what country you are in.  Just make sure whoever you are going to be texting, that they have whatsapp, if not ask them to download, it justs takes a second and its free.

Any texting  app will do, even the standard app that comes with the phone.  You do not especially need Whatsapp. You just need data usage from your service provider in the country that you are. 

7 hours ago, Figoush said:

I have a Mexican cell phone.  I am going to England and am meeting Canadian friends there.  I want to text them on their Canadian cell phone from my Telcel phone.  Can this be done?  What numbers do I preface their phone number with?  I have searched Google, but can’t find the answer to this combination.  I know I can text them in Canada, from there, but what about when they are in UK?  Anybody know this?

Do text them from here? If so, I think it will be the same number in the UK.

I'm not the most technological savy person around, I was only trying to provide other possible options.  But, yeah, any texting app should do.  Whatsapp is very commonly used in Latin America, Europe, and Asia, but not so much by Americans.  Its, I think, the most popular texting app around the world outside the USA.

You can also make calls on WhatsApp to any of your contacts.  You can also set up new contacts.  you can see immediately if they have read your message, 2 grayish checkmarks means it is sent once it is blue they have read it.  It is great from anywhere.  When we were in Spain this is how we contacted our friends.

15 minutes ago, Figoush said:

I was hoping to avoid roaming charges by not using data.  I can text them from here To Canada alright, but we will both be in the UK.  

Thanks to all who replied.  I’ll see what happens.

To avoid using data, you would need a Wi-Fi connection, like at a hotel or Wi-Fi hot spot.

Concerning the question about if you can text them here only has to do with what numbers you use. It should be the same numbers here or there.

Since they are going to be there, they maybe charged for roaming if they connect using data. They too would need to find a Wi-Fi.

This all depends on each person's cell phone plan.

Archived