Chapala.com Webboard

Torch down roof being installed today

Willie

If anyone would like to see this being installed, please let us know for directions.   Chapala 765 5121

Enrique Hernandez, Ing. is doing the work...won't be completed for a couple of days....fascinating and a great type of roof!

In my other life i did thousands of sq. feet of this product . Its origin is from Europe and it is a great product if installed properly, In the states with  so much wood construction we had to be very careful for fires, down here not so  much but if I was doing this type of work I would have a fire extinguisher on the roof while work was in progress just my 2 centavos

Phil

Well our original bid for about 1400-1500 sq ft was under $60k pesos BUT when prepping the roof, he ran into some soft spots and upon really good checking , found that a layer of bricks had been applied over some serious cracks, almost 3/4 in wide in some areas.  ARRGH!!!  So now we have extra costs to repair all that.  Ya just never know what to expect.....

At least this time it will be done correctly!

I live in a cedar ship lap rancher in Canada.    Had a Torch on Roof applied.     one fire extinguisher, for each propane torch,  on the roof at all times.      All existing roofing material removed.    A membrane is rolled onto the plywood and screwed down.       Then the a thicker water impervious layer is rolled out and a torch is applied between the two layers of material to glue them together.    This is the "torch on" process.    Then hot knives are heated up very hot by the torches and applied to the seams to glue them together.       30 years if done right.     We had a brick chimney that was falling apart and leaking.      A frame was built around it, plywood screwed to the frame and then torch on applied to completely seal the chimney and no more water leak problems from the chimney.     Comes in various colours.    

We did that on our flat carport roof last summer (up north). The material used in applying is asphalt with additives. It can be a fire hazard so a near fire extinguisher is a must. Torch will melt the layers of asphalt together and there is lot of videos on You tube to show best analogies and comparisons. So far so good on our roof ...in V. Island's rainy season.

Archived