Chapala.com Webboard

Salvadors, any reopening news

lakeside7

I met Erik who will be renting the space from Jorge last week on I believe Thursday. He was there with his architect and others and was making plans for his "Mediterranean Restaurant". Jorge was there too. Sadly one of the topics was not when but a get the idea it will be in June. I guess it depends on the extent of the remodel that Erik and his architect were planning. 

14 hours ago, camillenparadise said:

Any idea of the new Mediterranean offerings? I ache for a great felafel!

If you ever have to go the US Consulate in GDL, there is a good place nearby.

I saw  Silvia (the head chef at Salvador's) today at El Torito Supermarket , and asked her when the reopening was.. She did not know for sure, but suspected that it would be in July.

1 hour ago, johanson said:

I saw  Silvia (the head chef at Salvador's) today at El Torito Supermarket , and asked her when the reopening was.. She did not know for sure, but suspected that it would be in July.

Thanks Pete....where are you guys meeting in the meantime???

The circular table to the East meets at El Jardine in the Ajijic square.  The longer table to the West is trying out different places. We tried Sunrise in San Antonio, which I like, they are trying the French Bakery West of Ajijic which seems nice and today we tried Dona's donuts(that is not quite what it is called) across from  Actinver Bank and I think some of this group is going back to the French Bakery Thursday.

Me? I go from table to table enjoying the folks at each of them.

It has always been an oddly enticing sign at that doughnut place. Of course the word doña means respected elder, or Mrs. at its most basic, but uses the tilde over the letter n. The sign, to most newcomers, means that it is a doughnut shop belonging to a doña, even missing the tilde and the potential apostrophe. And in fact is really means "doughnuts" in two languages.

It gets even more confusing, since “dona“ is really a borrowed word, from English, being just the sound of doughnut to the Spanish speaker‘s ear, since the ‘gh‘ makes no sense in Spanish, and the terminal ‘t‘ would be even less acceptable to that ear.

‘Doña‘ is the feminime form of ‘Don‘, both informal titles of respect and admiration.

I wish them luck too.  This is one of the biggest dining rooms in town and Salvador's worked because the very attractively priced "straight ahead" fare appealed to a very wide spectrum of expat and Mexican alike.  Tango is also a large dining room and it seems to operate successfully on a similar principle.

If you look at the more specialty oriented restaurants here, they are generally in much smaller premises, have significantly higher prices and the successful ones manage to survive with fewer tables.  I wonder if Mediterranean food has wide enough appeal to attract enough patrons to that big and I would suspect fairly expensive to lease, dining room.

Long ago I lost count of how many restaurants have come and go in just the 10 years we've lived here.  Many are called but few are chosen.

Archived