Chapala.com Webboard

Tacos al Pastor - where?

ComputerGuy

A lot of talk but only one recommendation where to actually find them akin to the attached photo's and not just some packaged meat heated on a flat top and hoisted into a tortilla?

55 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

Ah, but is it al pastor?

It depends on your location. According to my "expert", here and some area it has to be cooked on a trompo to be called pastor. In the frying pan, it is called adobada.

Other areas, it is pastor no matter how it is cooked. More about the spices.

40 minutes ago, Ian Greenwood said:

It would of course taste much better with a charcoal, wood fire rather than indirect gas heat, hence the difference between rotisserie chicken and chicken el carbon

Perhaps, but the "norm" here is to use a gas flame.

37 minutes ago, Tiny said:

It depends on your location. According to my "expert", here and some area it has to be cooked on a trompo to be called pastor. In the frying pan, it is called adobada.

Other areas, it is pastor no matter how it is cooked. More about the spices.

Sure, but I'm looking for upright-rotiss, al pastor, which has really only one definition as the base.

13 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

Sure, but I'm looking for upright-rotiss, al pastor, which has really only one definition as the base.

Tacos Arandas has the real deal. Open daily 2 PM to 12 AM with tacos al pastor @ 10 p each.

Av. Francisco Ignacio Madero 378, 45900 Chapala, Jal.

It would certainly not be made with pork iin Beirut, or anywhere in the Middle East, where Islam is usually the prevalent religion and where others also have dietary prohibitions regarding pork.  Lamb is the most common meat choice in that area, with beef as a second choice.

Tacos Los Primos in Jocotepec has great al pastor tacos.   On the same street as Farmacia Guadalajara and a block past the Chinese Restaurant on the same side of the street.   Open only in the evenings.  They also make al pastor gringas ( with cheese )

D7E59061-3BB7-4B21-81B5-849FBB8F33AE.jpeg

• 5 months later...

There's an ad in this week's Laguna for a tacos al pastor place on Revolucion #1-C in Ajijic (may be the back side of Bugambilias Plaza) opposite the soccer field.  It says it is the new Ajijic location of Taqueria Los Fabian in Riberas.  It opens Tues. - Sun. at 6:30 PM.  Closes at midnight on Fri. and Sat.  and at 11PM other nights.  Closed Mon.  

Photo in ad has picture of meat on the traditional spit and ad says they are in the estilo Puebla.

Archived