Chapala.com Webboard

Peso dips

RickS

I always look at the spot rate each day which I understand is the official exchange rate set once per day at noon by  Banco de Mexico. Tom Gates can correct me here, but I understand that the spot rate is the official exchange rate set once per day before adding a fee for exchanging the funds for US dollars or visa versa, and apparently is used in real estate transactions.

So what I saw as of noon today is 19.0530 pesos per US dollar which is  slightly higher than the day before.

My Mexican stock broker recently said that the dollar should gain strength as we get closer to the Mexican July Presidential election.

Pete,

The official rate as set by the Bank of Mexico is not the same as the daily rate fix by VISA. The latter rate is what I see at the ATM. Here is the site: https://usa.visa.com/support/consumer/travel-support/exchange-rate-calculator.html/?fromCurr=USD&toCurr=MXN&fee=0&exchangedate=04%2F25%2F2018&submitButton=Calculate+Exchange+Rates

I pay my rent in dollars and get pesos from a Santander ATM via a US debit card at the MasterCard rate of exchange, taking them to the Casa de Cambio in Chapala for my dollar purchase. Today at 19.0, I will pay about 18.75 net and then paid 18.2 for the bucks. 

2 hours ago, johanson said:

I always look at the spot rate each day which I understand is the official exchange rate set once per day at noon by  Banco de Mexico. Tom Gates can correct me here, but I understand that the spot rate is the official exchange rate set once per day before adding a fee for exchanging the funds for US dollars or visa versa, and apparently is used in real estate transactions.

So what I saw as of noon today is 19.0530 pesos per US dollar which is  slightly higher than the day before.

My Mexican stock broker recently said that the dollar should gain strength as we get closer to the Mexican July Presidential election.

The market is reacting to the probability of Obrador being elected. There are some great opportunities to purchase real estate priced in pesos,  and the usd continues to apprecaite

2 hours ago, lakeside7 said:

The market is reacting to the probability of Obrador being elected. There are some great opportunities to purchase real estate priced in pesos,  and the usd continues to apprecaite

And also for some currency speculation.  My broker expects an over-reaction to Obrador's election followed by a correction when the markets figure out he isn't going to blow the country up.

16 hours ago, johanson said:

Note that the 'official'  Banco de Mexico rate is always  at least   1 day out-of-date,    because they use the previous day's currency trading values to calculate the next day's rate.   This means using the 'official' rate can be off by $0.3 to $0.4 when the exchange rates are changing.

XE.com has the accepted current (floating) rates, as used by the US Treasury, US IRS, many banks et al,  because XE.com is the biggest trading house for MXN pesos & US dollars - reporting the exchange rate based on actual current trades.

Outside of XE.com,  many Mexican banks offer special daily rates for larger $$ transactions, offered as special one-time quotes,  authorized by their central offices.   e.g.  We've gotten some special rates (significantly better than generic mid-market rates) from Scotiabank & Santander when making big wire transfers, or large cash transactions.  These special rates are NOT posted at the banks, and must be requested in person.

Scotiabank's local rep even calls us, when their special rates hit a target value we've asked them to track.  They have had the paperwork all filled out (in advance) to execute wire transfers at the special rates for real estate transactions.
;)

15 hours ago, tomgates said:

Pete,

The official rate as set by the Bank of Mexico is not the same as the daily rate fix by VISA. The latter rate is what I see at the ATM. Here is the site: https://usa.visa.com/support/consumer/travel-support/exchange-rate-calculator.html/?fromCurr=USD&toCurr=MXN&fee=0&exchangedate=04%2F25%2F2018&submitButton=Calculate+Exchange+Rates

Visa & Mastercard set their rates once a day ...  at midnight,  of the night   following   the date the transaction is booked.

Since the merchants for a Friday purchase using Visa or Mastercard sometimes wait as long as 3-4 business days to enter the transaction into the Mastercard or Visa system,   some Friday Mastercard~Visa purchases   get the following Tuesday's or Wednesday's MXN:USD exchange rates.

In a most recent example,   a recent purchase made with Mastercard~Visa when the MXN peso was at $18:1,  would be actually booked at $18.75 (4% cheaper) due to the recent exchange rates shifting so quickly.

• 10 months later...
1 hour ago, Jreboll said:

Dollar index was strong today. Peso-dollar rate at 19.37

Wait until Obrador gets in gear. You should see the peso drop monthly the more dumb things he does and says. The asking the King of Spain for an official apology for the Spanish Conquistadors, 500 years ago, arriving in Mexico and conquering it made him the laughing stock of Europe this week. [ AMLO - THE NEW KING OF MEXICO ]

17992243_460390264302844_8730129830247929729_n[1].jpg

Just now, AlanMexicali said:

Wait until Obrador gets in gear. You should see the peso drop monthly the more dumb things he does and says. The asking the King of Spain for an official apology for the Spanish Conquistadors, 500 years ago, arriving in Mexico and conquering it made him the laughing stock of Europe this week. [ AMLO - THE NEW KING OF MEXICO ]

Why this week the Peso is weaker...... when a very positive report ref auto exports..if I was a Canadian I would be wondering what is happening to their economy and Loonie and costing them 30% more to rent/buy/ live  in Mexico

https://mexiconewsdaily.com/news/fourth-place-in-automobile-exports/?utm_source=Mexico+News+Today&utm_campaign=51a6a33595-MNT+mar27-2019&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_f1536a3787-51a6a33595-347994033

5 hours ago, AlanMexicali said:

17992243_460390264302844_8730129830247929729_n[1].jpg

you are right ! Obrador, a true globalist, sitting on the throne of the world , HA

10 hours ago, bobby brown said:

you are right ! Obrador, a true globalist, sitting on the throne of the world , HA

No! You have it reversed.

https://mexiconewsdaily.com/news/cancelling-special-economic-zones-risks-losing-billions/

"Cancelling Special Economic Zones risks losing billions: private sector

Business people and associations in Michoacán and Veracruz also rejected the possible elimination of the SEZs and urged the government to reconsider its intentions.

Jesús Melgoza, secretary of economic development in Michoacán, said he will meet next Monday with his counterparts from all of the states with designated SEZs in order to develop a formal proposal that they will submit to the federal government to advocate for the continuation of the zones.

Michoacán Governor Silvano Aureoles said that if the government cancels the SEZs, it would be shooting itself in the foot, adding that he didn’t understand why “many officials of the current government want to destroy everything.”

Archived