Chapala.com Webboard

NEEDED a small apartment/casita for rent

Hello Lake Chapala community! I am coming to Lake Chapala from Dallas, TX for one month in May/June (I will know the exact dates later) and looking for a small apartment/studio/casita for one person (myself) in Ajijic, west Ajijic, San Juan Cosala or San Antonio. Being close to hot springs in San Juan Cosala is a plus. It needs to be on a QUIET street yet very close to buses and taxis (important, since I can't walk distances). I need to have a full kitchen. Would prefer a bright airy place with an outdoor space, a balcony and/or nice view. Budget 6000 pesos.
I am a responsible, quiet person, don't smoke, don't party, coming to explore the area, visit hot springs, and for medical travel.
Thank you. Elizaveta

1 hour ago, Elizaveta said:

Hello Lake Chapala community! I am coming to Lake Chapala from Dallas, TX for one month in May/June (I will know the exact dates later) and looking for a small apartment/studio/casita for one person (myself) in Ajijic, west Ajijic, San Juan Cosala or San Antonio. Being close to hot springs in San Juan Cosala is a plus. It needs to be on a QUIET street yet very close to buses and taxis (important, since I can't walk distances). I need to have a full kitchen. Would prefer a bright airy place with an outdoor space, a balcony and/or nice view. Budget 6000 pesos.
I am a responsible, quiet person, don't smoke, don't party, coming to explore the area, visit hot springs, and for medical travel.
Thank you. Elizaveta

I am going to suggest that you need to budget at least double that, probably more.

You are going to have to choose between a QUIET street and one near taxis and buses. You can not find both.

With your budget, you should cross Ajijic and West Ajijic off your list. There was a time when 6000 pesos would get you what you are looking for but that time is past. Best of luck. 

That's $318 U.S. bucks.  Not convenient as the poster wishes, but that might work at Hotel Perico, along with doing a lot of busing .  Otherwise, for all those amenities, one needs to be a big spender and look in the $450-$500 US range.

Thanks for the video and chuckles, Angus.

There are places you are looking for at that price range between San Juan Cosala and Jocotepec. Jocotepec is also where the Lakeside public hospital is, there is a fairly large general store there, a good public market, a beautiful malecon. You will most likely be living in a very Mexican neighbourhood, which is not necessarily a bad thing at all. Taxis are also much less expensive there than Ajijic or Chapala. There are maybe 100 to 150 expat families living in or near Jocotepec. Many go to the town square for coffee in the mornings - that is where you have to ask about rentals. Also bear in mind, there is a national Mexican election on July 1st, and the left wing candidate is widely favoured to win. This has already caused the peso value to drop. So look for rent in pesos - that is the law in any case.

27 minutes ago, CHILLIN said:

There are places you are looking for at that price range between San Juan Cosala and Jocotepec. Jocotepec is also where the Lakeside public hospital is, there is a fairly large general store there, a good public market, a beautiful malecon. You will most likely be living in a very Mexican neighbourhood, which is not necessarily a bad thing at all. Taxis are also much less expensive there than Ajijic or Chapala. There are maybe 100 to 150 expat families living in or near Jocotepec. Many go to the town square for coffee in the mornings - that is where you have to ask about rentals. Also bear in mind, there is a national Mexican election on July 1st, and the left wing candidate is widely favoured to win. This has already caused the peso value to drop. So look for rent in pesos - that is the law in any case.great 

28 minutes ago, CHILLIN said:

There are places you are looking for at that price range between San Juan Cosala and Jocotepec. Jocotepec is also where the Lakeside public hospital is, there is a fairly large general store there, a good public market, a beautiful malecon. You will most likely be living in a very Mexican neighbourhood, which is not necessarily a bad thing at all. Taxis are also much less expensive there than Ajijic or Chapala. There are maybe 100 to 150 expat families living in or near Jocotepec. Many go to the town square for coffee in the mornings - that is where you have to ask about rentals. Also bear in mind, there is a national Mexican election on July 1st, and the left wing candidate is widely favoured to win. This has already caused the peso value to drop. So look for rent in pesos - that is the law in any case.

Great advice Chillin. Thank you. I am very open to living in a Mexican neighborhood and renting from a Mexican. Looks like dollar will go even further now. 

Archived