Chapala.com Webboard

Squash seeds - pepitas

CHILLIN

Some squash plants taking off like a house on fire. These are the silver edged squash, a Mexican heirloom variety. They have a large and are easy to crack seed open by hand. I like the idea of roasting them with the hull on. When I am a proper computer (i can't seem to link on kindle fire) I will post to a website which has recipes for salty roasted, ginger orange roasted, cinnamon sugar roasted, and spicy roasted. Has anyone anything like that offered here? Could be a good opportunity for local farmer. The local bars and restaurants would like something like this for low cost table or drink snacks. To dehull a large quantity, making the green pepitas requires boiling or expensive equipment.

5 minutes ago, CHILLIN said:

I will post to a website which has recipes for salty roasted, ginger orange roasted, cinnamon sugar roasted, and spicy roasted.

Why screw up the base flavor of pepitas? They are fine with salt as the only enhancer, just like they have been for centuries.

2 hours ago, CHILLIN said:

They are sometimes called Tuxco Squash, because some of the seedsaver and heritage seed people travelled to Tuxco, Veracruz to get seeds.

Mr. Google doesn't seem to know where Tuxco, Veracruz is or what a Tuxco squash is. Can you please clarify?

Archived