Chapala.com Webboard

quarter inch wood dowels

Anyone know where to get quarter inch wood dowels?  I assume these would be in Guad somewhere.  Maybe on the wood dowel street?:) 

Or failing this, one of you clever carpenter types have an internet site to order them from?

Thanks.

1 hour ago, mudgirl said:

Home Depot sells them.

Thanks! Which one in particular have you seen them in?

1 hour ago, lakeside7 said:

You may be able to buy 1/4 rods from any of the local hardware stores. Then cut to length as needed.

I`ve never seen them in hardware stores lakeside, have you?  Real Ortega Madereria has 1/2", 3/4", some wider but never less that I`ve seen. 

11 hours ago, bdmowers said:

Anyone know where to get quarter inch wood dowels?  I assume these would be in Guad somewhere.  Maybe on the wood dowel street?:) 

Or failing this, one of you clever carpenter types have an internet site to order them from?

Thanks.

Just curious as to what you plan on using them for.

Anchors? If you're going to drill anyway. Walmart plus the hardware stores all carry them.

Plus some of the papeleria a carry dowels of various sizes....they're used in craft  peojects.

i 've bought them at the store on Juarez and Hidalgo in Ajijic.

Remember that the walls are made of very soft brick, but there are vertical columns made of concrete. Try to locate the columns and make sure to have attachments at those locations, with intermediate ones into the brick.  You may also use deeper holes in the brick, up to 3 inches, and cut and drive a plastic anchor into it before inserting the second one flush with the surface. Then use 2-1/2 or 3 inch screws to fasten the railing supports.

There is no way wooden dowels are safe for handrails. Your easiest, but a little expensive are Hilti chemical anchors, available at the Hilti store in Guadalajara. Buy the rated weight you want.

RV is right about soft brick in older homes but newer ones seem to prefer concrete bricks.

4 hours ago, RVGRINGO said:

Remember that the walls are made of very soft brick, but there are vertical columns made of concrete. Try to locate the columns and make sure to have attachments at those locations, with intermediate ones into the brick.  You may also use deeper holes in the brick, up to 3 inches, and cut and drive a plastic anchor into it before inserting the second one flush with the surface. Then use 2-1/2 or 3 inch screws to fasten the railing supports.

The vertical  concrete columns will have rebar and if you strike these your drill will not penetrate 

5 minutes ago, lakeside7 said:

The vertical  concrete columns will have rebar and if you strike these your drill will not penetrate 

It will, if you switch from the masonry bit to a good steel bit, and know what you are doing. Actually, few “castillos“ have rebar, as most are poured in place with the wire cage reinforcement.

6 hours ago, ned small said:

Just curious as to what you plan on using them for.

They`re for rods in a warping rack for weaving.

5 hours ago, Ellie said:

Anchors? If you're going to drill anyway. Walmart plus the hardware stores all carry them.

Plus some of the papeleria a carry dowels of various sizes....they're used in craft  peojects.

i 've bought them at the store on Juarez and Hidalgo in Ajijic.

Right, but those are no longer than 15".  I need them to be 36".

4 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

I've had excellent luck finding the wood items I need at the wood place across from Soriana.

Right, but they only have dowels 1/2", 3/4", 1".

1 hour ago, MtnMama said:

I have seen wooden dowels at the garden supply store in Riberas near the Container Restaurant. I didn't pay attention to the sizes but it looked like a variety.

The container restaurant is the one a few doors east of the 7-11?

12 hours ago, RVGRINGO said:

And make sure you don't drill into your electrical conduit or plumbing lines, no telling where those are unless you built from scratch and took photos :-)  

Archived