Chapala.com Webboard

Ilox Subscription Update

You can write to Shaw yourself and they will tell you. Currently it behooves them to continue using Anik F1, where most English channels are located, for standard def. Why? Financial reasons, not the least of which being they want to use it until it dies. And since it works with their new 800 series boxes, they are in no rush. I'm not saying we won't lose channels.

"Throughout 2017 and 2018, we will be converting channels from MPEG-2 to MPEG-4, without moving them between satellites. Therefore, you will not lose access to your current lineup if you have an older style satellite dish – only if you do not upgrade to an MPEG-4 compatible satellite receiver.

In 2019, we will be performing additional network optimizations. At that time, standard definition MPEG-2 channels which are already carried in high definition MPEG-4 will be removed. Therefore, to continue to enjoy the entire Shaw Direct lineup you will need an MPEG-4 satellite receiver as well as access to all three satellites (as described above)."

NOTE THAT you will keep the HiDef versions of removed standard def channels.

By the time this all goes down, we will most definitely want streaming services.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its obvious computer guy and his"hundreds" of customers have not tried these apps.

If you are afraid of box issues use amazon fire stick or tv.i believe they are quite a reputable company.

You are denying these "hundreds " of customers the chance of free tv with your ridiculous comments.

All info is freely available on youtube and search engines.

Try it yourself then, comment...

End of!

21 minutes ago, barcelonaman said:

Its obvious computer guy and his"hundreds" of customers have not tried these apps.

If you are afraid of box issues use amazon fire stick or tv.i believe they are quite a reputable company.

You are denying these "hundreds " of customers the chance of free tv with your ridiculous comments.

End of!

Can you tell me which apps that would give me live US network channels (ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox.....)?

It appears that most people seem content to watch Telecable/Izzy fade away, and the resulting demand upon Telmex further reduce internet speed, service and even availability.  Yet, they talk of adding gadgets to use internet for access to foreign TV programming.  Wow!  I can only surmise that many cannot fathom the very real possibility of living without reliable internet, or without any internet at all.  Not many years ago, the current level of DSL service was sufficient for e-mail and for a landline. Now, streaming demands are so high that system failures are routine. 

Telmex is not likely to add to their infrastructure, or to add fiber-optic service to such a small community. So, the only option is to jump on the Ilox opportunity immediately. To procrastinate is to kill the option.  The reality is simple: Ilox will perform if the potential customers perform. Otherwise, they have no real interest in the retail consumer market, as their successful business model is in the commercial market, not residential.

I have no dog in this fight, but If I were still there, I would certainly place my bet with Ilox.

1 hour ago, barcelonaman said:

End of!

Then take it upon yourself, smart boy. Man, I guess the voice of experience isn't worth anything these days. So be it. Enjoy your hegemony.

Just be aware that we all know you lost this one.

2 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

In 2019, we will be performing additional network optimizations. At that time, standard definition MPEG-2 channels which are already carried in high definition MPEG-4 will be removed. Therefore, to continue to enjoy the entire Shaw Direct lineup you will need an MPEG-4 satellite receiver as well as access to all three satellites (as described above)."

Sounds like some tinkering will be required. At a minimum an MPEG-4 receiver ($$$) and access to all three satellites including the new one that may not provide decent reception for those of us outside of Shaw's intended service area. Shaw will not "go away" but it may become a less viable option for those of us down here do at least in part to the footprint of the new satellite. That could happen at any time and almost certainly way before 7 years. Shaw could also take other steps that may affect those of down here that don't affect subscribers who are actually in Canada. I doubt they are going to do much to actively deteriorate our service down here but they certainly aren't going to do anything to make things better for us. Shaw in Toronto versus Shaw at lakeside are very different issues. Just sayin'. 

Also, contacting Shaw directly in any way is a really bad idea if you are not Canadian, don't have a "real" Canadian physical address, and didn't set up your Shaw account yourself while in Canada. Even if you have your own completely legitimate Canadian account, contacting Shaw from down here in any way is unlikely to turn out well. If even a hint of "Mexico" comes up during such a contact things will probably become difficult very quickly.

And I agree with RVGringo - as is pretty much always the case. Neither Telmex or Telecable is going to make much of an investment in our small primarily residential market. ILOX was willing to consider doing so but if I were them I would have all the information I need and would run away as fast as possible.

26 minutes ago, RVGRINGO said:

I have no dog in this fight, but If I were still there, I would certainly place my bet with Ilox.

I don't have dog in this fight either but I would not be part of the current deal. In my opinion, Ilox is asking for 200 investors, yes investors, which does not have any organization and/or legal representation. On top of that, IIox has control of the money.  They talk about PROFECO, Mexico’s consumer protection agency. That is after the fact if something would happen, I hope it does not.  But if there is no money or even if there is money, it may takes years to recover.  

2 minutes ago, Tiny said:

I don't have dog in this fight either but I would not be part of the current deal. In my opinion, Ilox is asking for 200 investors, yes investors, which does not have any organization and/or legal representation. On top of that, IIox has control of the money.  They talk about PROFECO, Mexico’s consumer protection agency. That is after the fact if something would happen, I hope it does not.  But if there is no money or even if there is money, it may takes years to recover.  

You do realize that your words are raining on a very enthusiastic parade, complete with marching band? Tsk, tsk.:D

9 minutes ago, gringal said:

You do realize that your words are raining on a very enthusiastic parade, complete with marching band? Tsk, tsk.:D

To start, I hope it works out. Just maybe the people buying in to it, should think about a little protection up front instead of just trust me.  Too many things can go wrong. Has anyone had a lawyer look over the contract?

50 minutes ago, Tiny said:

To start, I hope it works out. Just maybe the people buying in to it, should think about a little protection up front instead of just trust me.  Too many things can go wrong. Has anyone had a lawyer look over the contract?

What kind of protection can you envision? From here, it looks pretty straightforward: they promise to return the money if the project doesn't get off the ground or there's some reason they can't service the customer.

30 minutes ago, gringal said:

What kind of protection can you envision? From here, it looks pretty straightforward: they promise to return the money if the project doesn't get off the ground or there's some reason they can't service the customer.

For starts, I would have the contract reviewed by a lawyer and the money held in a account not controlled by the company, maybe by the lawyer.  "they promise to return the money".  How is this enforceable?

13 minutes ago, Tiny said:

For starts, I would have the contract reviewed by a lawyer and the money held in a account not controlled by the company, maybe by the lawyer.  "they promise to return the money".  How is this enforceable?

The problem here, is what do you think the chances of the company going for having the money they want to collect be held by another party?  Obviously, "they promise to" isn't enough.

1 minute ago, gringal said:

The problem here, is what do you think the chances of the company going for having the money they want to collect be held by another party?  Obviously, "they promise to" isn't enough.

The company would submit to the lawyer what needed to be paid.  The lawyer is the overseer of the money.  

7 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

You prove my piont: "There are many". You are a tinkerer, and you said yourself "... and helped people around here to install and operate." And there are hundreds of different boxes, and NO, they are not all good. In fact, many suck.

Of course you said Kodi is a problem. Well, I will not introduce my customers to problems. Like I said, it's not ready for widespread use. People want point and click, and they do NOT want a tech visiting repeatedly.

Case in point: two local guys, advertising this type of installation, one for a one-time fee, the other monthly. BOTH are close to being run out of town for lousy service.

SMH ....

3 hours ago, REC said:

Sounds like some tinkering will be required. At a minimum an MPEG-4 receiver ($$$) and access to all three satellites including the new one that may not provide decent reception for those of us outside of Shaw's intended service area. Shaw will not "go away" but it may become a less viable option for those of us down here do at least in part to the footprint of the new satellite. That could happen at any time and almost certainly way before 7 years. Shaw could also take other steps that may affect those of down here that don't affect subscribers who are actually in Canada. I doubt they are going to do much to actively deteriorate our service down here but they certainly aren't going to do anything to make things better for us. Shaw in Toronto versus Shaw at lakeside are very different issues. Just sayin'. No, they are not. They are exactly the same. All Shaw receivers available since 2011 are MPEG-4 compatible. The third satellite will never be available this far south. You don't have to be a customer to contact them about how long the service will be available, because they only consider Canada anyway. I got the timeframe from the horse's mouth. You are simply guessing. No tinkering required.

Also, contacting Shaw directly in any way is a really bad idea if you are not Canadian, don't have a "real" Canadian physical address, and didn't set up your Shaw account yourself while in Canada. Even if you have your own completely legitimate Canadian account, contacting Shaw from down here in any way is unlikely to turn out well. If even a hint of "Mexico" comes up during such a contact things will probably become difficult very quickly. Yes, you would have to be an :() to call as a customer, from Mexico, without an account, from a line who's number shows up on their displays. You can also chat with them (just make sure you use a VPN). You can also email them.

And I agree with RVGringo - as is pretty much always the case. Neither Telmex or Telecable is going to make much of an investment in our small primarily residential market. ILOX was willing to consider doing so but if I were them I would have all the information I need and would run away as fast as possible. Why exactly would you run? What information? That there are people on a local webboard who argue the merits, when clearly some of them don't have the facts?

4 hours ago, barcelonaman said:

End of!

Haha, remember downloading and sharing music and the torrents and video? Where are they now? Why no longer is everybody using them? Is it because they were pirates and the content owners slowly but surely shut many of them down? Will the content owners be content to let android boxes continue to take their content for free? Are many of these boxes already being shut down by legal actions? Do your own due diligence and find your own answers and then go forth and take your chances with whatever method you choose. There's no "best answer" that fits everyone.

43 minutes ago, pappysmarket said:

Haha, remember downloading and sharing music and the torrents and video? Where are they now? Why no longer is everybody using them? Is it because they were pirates and the content owners slowly but surely shut many of them down? Will the content owners be content to let android boxes continue to take their content for free? Are many of these boxes already being shut down by legal actions? Do your own due diligence and find your own answers and then go forth and take your chances with whatever method you choose. There's no "best answer" that fits everyone.

I'm not sure how these deviations from the original OP has any benefit, it just appears that a new topic needs to be started, and not hijack this one.

5 hours ago, barcelonaman said:

End of!

I have not tried these apps? Dozens, yes, and dozens of boxes. Have my own right here.

But that makes me afraid of boxes, okay. Gee, and I forgot about Firesticks, Roku, Chromecast. Hey, thanks for reminding me. Oh, wait: have my own right here.

I am denying customers? How? Are they not adults, perfectly capable of trying these things themselves? Since when did it become up to me? Why isn't it up to you?

Once again you miss the point: I have said repeatedly these can all be great, and many people are using them. I am not stopping anybody. I'm just not going to charge them for a service, which will anger them when they discover its not perfect. I don't quite get your vitriol.

And thanks, pappysmarket. One subject I didn't touch on is barcelonaman's own apparent consideration that the legality of it should not be part of the discussion.

1 hour ago, TheGadgetsGuy said:

I'm not sure how these deviations from the original OP has any benefit, it just appears that a new topic needs to be started, and not hijack this one.

Suggest you contact the Admin if you wish to start moderating this board. :D

Al this talk of boxes and apps ignores the fact that they all depend on Internet service.  I we don't have the bandwidth we  we won't get the streaming service.  I applaud Illox for at least  providing an opportunity to get faster Internet.

Archived