Chapala.com Webboard

had success with internet boosters?

Speedify does work as a VPN. I don't know the answer to your question about 2 VPNs.

The reason I don't recommend it strongly, is I don't see a straight linear improvement like I expected. Izzy is 5 mbps tops. Telmex is 3. So you'd think, combine them and see 7 or 8. Well worth the $5 a month.

No, not for me. Izzy fades away, comes and goes from 5 to nothing. Telmex is 3 on a good day, whatever the heck on weekends when people are streaming. I'm getting disconnects again weekend evenings. Now, if I got 5 regularly I'd be pleased, but I don't.

My short answer, if you check this out and can't get it work, not a huge thing.

3 hours ago, Sea said:

The reason I don't recommend it strongly, is I don't see a straight linear improvement like I expected. Izzy is 5 mbps tops. Telmex is 3. So you'd think, combine them and see 7 or 8. Well worth the $5 a month.

Me thinks that you might be expecting more than is possible. My understanding is that Speedify 'watches' your connections and will send your traffic over the one that is performing better at the moment. But it's not like they can magically 'add' the speeds of different providers together and give you better than either one could provide individually.  The way performance is enhanced is 'if one provider is bogging down at the moment and the other is not, Speedify switches your traffic over to the one that is best.... at the moment'. That's my understanding anyway.....

YMMV

15 minutes ago, RickS said:

Me thinks that you might be expecting more than is possible. My understanding is that Speedify 'watches' your connections and will send your traffic over the one that is performing better at the moment. But it's not like they can magically 'add' the speeds of different providers together and give you better than either one could provide individually.  The way performance is enhanced is 'if one provider is bogging down at the moment and the other is not, Speedify switches your traffic over to the one that is best.... at the moment'. That's my understanding anyway.....

YMMV

That makes a lot of sense. The explanation from Speedify on how it works is a little soft. And I'm combining two notoriously bad ISPs. As you say, YMMV.

What is amazing to me is that they do this (switch) "packet by packet".... and if one understands what an internet packet is, that's truly amazing to an old timer. Of course a lot of things are amazing, like 3D Printing for example.

Actually, Speedify employs channel bonding or broadband bonding. You may be thinking of load balancing. Here's an explanation of bonding:

"...the network load is distributed on the packet level (TCP or UDP packets), which means that a session can be routed through all the available broadband connections, essentially by distributing its data packets to all connections. This results in utilising the available bandwidth of all individual broadband connections simultaneously, achieving high speeds, both uplink and downlink, even for a single session."

No, I understand channel bonding and I have read what Speedify does.... although I might not be interpreting what I have read correctly.

In your quote above, do you interpret the comment "This results in utilizing the available bandwidth of all individual broadband connections simultaneously, achieving high speeds...."  to mean that they CAN/DO add the speeds of each different broadband connection thus proving effective speeds/throughput that is faster than any one connection can provide?  I don't read it that way. I don't think that they can, say, combine/bond two 5 mbps connections and come out somewhere in the vicinity of 10 mbps. I think they can help achieve a consistent 5 mbps effective throughput by picking the 'fastest packet delivery at the moment' but I don't see how they could achieve an additive effect.  Right? Wrong?

I did take the time to research. It is one or the other VPN and Speedify has such bad customer service that only one router company is flashing them and they seem to be in bussness with Speedify. I don’t like this kind of tech business platform of not sharing.

I do like the idea of seemless switching to the faster channel but I have no faith either channel here will ever be noticeable faster than the second. Thanks all. I’m sticking with my flashed NordVPN router and my Android box running Kodi to my Roku TV. I love to complicate my life to the fullest. 

1 hour ago, AngusMactavish said:

Let me introduce you to  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DD-WRT

That is what my router is flashed with. I was tempted to use Tomato but went for the most used instead of the most intricate.  

VPN companies have it in their best interest to keep server information available so we who flash can change addresses in DD-WRT if something happens to the server we are using. Speedify chooses your server and you really have to dig deep even for a list of countries where servers are available. This means you can’t personally change your DD-WRT script. 

Even with an open source like Tomato, DD-RWT, or OpenWRT, if you don’t have enough coding info, it ain’t flying.  

Looks like you're on to something else. I looked up Speedify and it does combine ISP for faster service. I got 7 mbps a few times, before Izzy started failing.

Excerpt. "The Speedify app then works in tandem with the Speed Server to intelligently divide your Internet traffic and deliver the combined speed of all available Internet connections. "

https://support.speedify.com/article/273-how-does-speedify-work

1 hour ago, TheBestSideOfTheWall said:

That is what my router is flashed with. I was tempted to use Tomato but went for the most used instead of the most intricate.  

VPN companies have it in their best interest to keep server information available so we who flash can change addresses in DD-WRT if something happens to the server we are using. Speedify chooses your server and you really have to dig deep even for a list of countries where servers are available. This means you can’t personally change your DD-WRT script. 

Even with an open source like Tomato, DD-RWT, or OpenWRT, if you don’t have enough coding info, it ain’t flying.  

I'm diggin' what McT is layin' down. I think the concept got crossed over somewhere... and lost. While Speedify may be employing Virtual Private Networking, it's not in the manner you are thinking.

1 hour ago, Tiny said:

CG, is your mail box full? Tried to send you a PM but message said can not send

Mailbox seems to working. Got your last message about computers and 2008 cars at 1:46 yesterday?

41 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

Mailbox seems to working. Got your last message about computers and 2008 cars at 1:46 yesterday?

I sent a message about pastor.  Got message:

"Computerguy can not receive messages."

Even emptied my mailbox and re-sent. Same message.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived