Chapala.com Webboard

Drove to US didn’t stop to return TIP

TeeDee

I am a temporal and due to confusion and possibly stupidity, drove US plated car back to US without returning sticker etc at border. That car no longer functions, so I want to return to Chapala with another US plated vehicle. Should I expect problems when I stop at border (aduana)?

By the way since the confused/stupid incident, I flew back to MX and renewed my temporal without any comments about not renewing car.

thoughts and suggestions?

5 hours ago, Bisbee Gal said:

You will not be allowed to bring in another car with your name on the title until you bring the other car to the border and have its sticker removed by Aduana.

Unless you renew your passport. Since you are the number of a passport and a new one will have a different number, you will be good to go. Been in the same situation and have done it.

EDIT: See this thread for confirmation: http://www.chapala.com/webboard/index.php?/topic/78475-exiting-mexico-with-car-nogales-in-nogales-out/&tab=comments#comment-575468

If you make it to the Banjercito over the border, and the car is still running, but not dependable, just turn around, get the sticker removed legally and get the receipt. Then, you can sell it cheap in Nogales, Arizona, Then walk across into Nogales, Sonora, taxi to the bus station and hop a bus to Hermosillo, where you can catch a plane or better bus southward. Nogales, Sonora, has several hotels, if you need one. The San Carlos is good. Cafeteria Leo, nearby, has excellent food and is economical.

Keep that reeipt forever, and look for a good Mexican car in Jalisco.

Suerte.....

BUT: The OP is now in Phoenix and headed for the border with the same unreliable car, intending to get the sticker removed. The car will then be returned to the USA for disposal, and the OP will either continue to Chapala and buy a car in Mexico, or may even buy another in the USA and get a fresh Importada Temporal.  The options are again open.

At times they have people from Aduana on special days to remove stickers from cars at the Mexican Consulate, no days yet posted for 2018 but they have done it before in Phoenix, may be easier to get your car there than to the border.

What if you have lost the paperwork for the vehicle but have the vehicle and it has the original sticker on it.  Could the Mexican Consulate in Phoenix fix that missing paperwork and make it so I could bring in another vehicle on my RT?

There is a declaration form to fill out if you have lost your TIP or window sticker.

On ‎4‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 9:21 PM, Intercasa said:

There is a declaration form to fill out if you have lost your TIP or window sticker. 

Is this form available on the government site or do i need to have your office do it when the time comes?  Have the car, have the sticker, missing the paperwork.

On 4/21/2018 at 2:51 PM, solajijic said:

What if you have lost the paperwork for the vehicle but have the vehicle and it has the original sticker on it.  Could the Mexican Consulate in Phoenix fix that missing paperwork and make it so I could bring in another vehicle on my RT?

The last 2 times I have done this for friends at border crossings. we had to present a letter to Aduana~Banjercito certifying  that the original permit document was lost, but that the windshield sticker was intact,  along with a statement requesting that they cancel the current TIP.  Aduana gave us a form to fill out,  (not available on the internet),  and a Banjercito employee  took pictures of the sticker, the VIN plate on the dash, & the manuf. spec. sticker on the driver's door jamb.   It took Aduana about 2 hrs to process the application to cancel the TIP (when the original permit-document is lost). 

During busy times, it can take Aduana~Banjercito 4 hours to process the application, so plan accordingly.  This special application process (for lost documents) is handled by special Aduana office-personnel who are often only present from 8:00 AM - 5:00 pm at border crossings, so if you arrive at 4:30 or 4:50,  we have had them say:  "Sorry, you arrived too late. ... Please return tomorrow."

1 hour ago, solajijic said:

Thanks.  Now I just need to find out if anyone can do it or just the original driver who brought in the vehicle.

I have done it for friends, using a durable Power of Attorney (Carta de Poder),  The POA stated (in good Spanish) that the vehicle's owner  (formal name as on passport)  + passport number (and attached copy of the key passport page), authorized me to act as their legal agent in any and all matters relating to the vehicle, model, make, year + VIN, + US state registration (attached copy), + Aduana TIP (permit) number ...  granting me all rights & responsibilities for the vehicle + VIN,  (this authorizes the person to drive the vehicle and/or sell the vehicle - as I also took the vehicle to sell across the border).  The POA further stated that the owner specifically requested that I be allowed to make any & all applications & take any & all actions necessary to cancel the "Permiso de Importación Temporal de Vehiculo" + #Permit number, for VIN ________________ .

I am offering zero legal advice.  I only offer what worked well 2 times for me & friends of ours.

Contact a good attorney like Spencer to get a solid legitimate Carta de Poder that covers your specific situations & specific needs.  ChapalaLaw.com .

I will definitely run by him first and have a POA CdP drawn but I need to figure out the parameters of what I want to accomplish and have some specific scenarios to ask about...thanks.

Archived