Chapala.com Webboard

Skype problem...Cannot unblock caller ID and add number

Have had Skype for many years and they always displayed  some random # in caller ID.. Now there seems to be a problem with getting voice asking me to enter a 2 digit number and also the caller ID says PRIVATE NUMBER so some people will not answer. I go to MY ACCOUNT on skype and then to CALLER ID to try to enter a number to display and there is a drop down for country....but no Mexico! Tried to enter my Mexican cell in the US  selection but not accepted. Finally got a rep on chat (no phone of course) and was told that Mexico does not have the feature of entering a number to display in caller ID...WHHHHAT! That is crazy since the drop down has over 200 countries or territories...can you say Wallis and Futura or Navrn? Is there a solution since I use Skype a lot for business as well as personal calls. Gracias

On 4/17/2018 at 2:18 PM, gringohombre said:

Is there a solution since I use Skype a lot for business as well as personal calls. Gracias

Gringohombre: I'm not sure, but wonder if a U.S. virtual number wouldn't work. Google and you'll find some rather inexpensive ones. CallCentric provides a very low cost plan if you could figure out how to rig up the internet calling. I use that with zoiper software on my computer, and they provide a New York telephone number. Better, explore DIDWW, a global pbx solution with virtual phone numbers in most countries of the world, and nearly every area code in the US for about $1 a month. You could easily have this as a phone number, and have all calls ported directly to a google voice account which I bet would forward to mexico, or likely explore DIDWW and I bet they would port all calls directly to a mexican number. Not positive, but may be worth exploring. 

15 hours ago, sciman said:

Gringohombre: I'm not sure, but wonder if a U.S. virtual number wouldn't work. Google and you'll find some rather inexpensive ones. CallCentric provides a very low cost plan if you could figure out how to rig up the internet calling. I use that with zoiper software on my computer, and they provide a New York telephone number. Better, explore DIDWW, a global pbx solution with virtual phone numbers in most countries of the world, and nearly every area code in the US for about $1 a month. You could easily have this as a phone number, and have all calls ported directly to a google voice account which I bet would forward to mexico, or likely explore DIDWW and I bet they would port all calls directly to a mexican number. Not positive, but may be worth exploring. 

Thank you for that but I do not think any of this will work. I have a subscription and a US 888 toll free forwarding number for my clients in the US and Canada to call me here in México. I entered that # in the US box on the drop down menu and then another box  popped up asking me to enter the SMS Code that was sent. In other words that means that I would have to have a US smart phone to receive this code. I only have a Mexican smart phone and number. I am by no means a tech guy so maybe others more confiscated in this area have suggestions. Gracias

I also needed to be able to receive an SMS sent to a US number here in Mexico to be able to subscribe to the video streaming service Philo. The way I solved it was to order a SIM from a company called Sim4globe (google it). For I think US $14 they supplied me with a chip and a US phone number. I inserted it into an older cel I was not using and after a bit of fiddling was able to connect to the Movistar network and "roam" here in Mexico. It also included I think a $6 credit to make calls or send texts anywhere. Expensive, I think like .75 a text and maybe .50 per minute to call but what I really needed was to be able to receive a text and then enter that code and it's working perfectly for that. I do have to take the phone outside because Movistar signal is weak even here in the middle of PV. I think you need to use or top up once a year but seems like a $5 topup will keep your number active once a year so no big deal. You do, I think, need a US address to have the SIM sent to so if you use a mail forwarding service like we do or a friend it shouldn't be a problem. Perhaps not what you were hoping for but after researching it quite a bit I decided it was my best solution.

If anyone has figured out how to get a Google Voice number here in Mexico as suggested by an above poster please share. I was not able to use my Ooma VOIP number to do so, Google correctly flagged it as a VOIP number and said, sorry.

Archived