Chapala.com Webboard

Tile Roofer Needed

Wookie

We recently had our entire roof retiled ... either with the existing tiles coming down, being cleaned and sealed and/or completely new tiles in areas that were really bad.  Our entire patio tiled roof is new tiles.  The problem is that the tiles were not properly sealed prior to being installed.  We called the attention to the contractor (he did a whole house remodel for us at the same time) Raymundo Blas Pineda, that the tiles were being dipped 4 to 6 at a time and we were concerned that the sealer would not be able to reach all the surfaces since the tiles were being held next to each other in a bunch when being dipped.  He assured us that this was the way it was done and that all the tiles would be sealed and that our roof would not leak.  We also received a written warranty on the work.  

Problem is the first big rain we had a few months ago left our patio and the patio furniture very wet.  We called Raymundo and he did come out and reseal the tiles from the top.  Unfortunately they are still leaking.  We called and texted Raymundo the end of December and asked him to come by or set up a time to reseal the tiles so they do not leak.  We have since called and text .... he will not answer our calls.

Therefore, we are in need of a recommendation of someone that is trustworthy to look at the situation and tell us what is needed and give us an estimate and hopefully redo the tiles.

I am being detailed here because if anyone is contemplating doing work with Raymundo, we would not recommend him any longer.  We did recommend him to friends of ours for a whole house paint job and he did keep his appointment but never came back with a bid.

We have used Miguel Ramirez for all the major project around our house. He is an Ajijic native and has been in the construction building all this life. We have been very happy with this work - not the cheapest but we have never had a problem with anything he has done. Here is his cell number -

331-068-3827

Just one observation based on our experience. Tiles will never block out 100% of the water hitting a roof. They will help move the water off of the roof and will provide some protection for the underlying roof so it will last longer. But the really important detail is the underlying roof. We had a patio where no matter what we tried we couldn't get it to quit leaking - especially with heavy rains. Miguel completely stripped the roof and went a couple of meters up into the roof where the patio joins the house. He then put down waterproof MDF with a covering of sealed plastic/impermeible - pretty much like what you would do on a roof without the tiles. He then cleaned and put the tiles back in place. I don't remember any discussion about coating/sealing the tiles and wouldn't think that would make much difference. But I could certainly be wrong.

From what I have seen and been told water will always get past the tiles - especially in a heavy rain. It seems logical that there will always be some gaps or openings in the individual tiles. The underlying roof is really the key. At least that seems to make sense to me.

When we rehabbed our patio roof, which is open under the tiles, after cleaning them they were dipped in a bath of acrylic sealant.  That has lasted very well for some 6 years now although I can see some signs of breakdown but these tiles are 20 years old.

When it becomes necessary to replace them we will have them dipped like the last time.  

Our patio roof is constructed like Mainecoons as was the patio roof in our last house in Ajijic.  We lived there for 6 years and never had a leak.  Raymundo's workers dipped the tiles in acrylic sealer but as I said, they stuck several together at a time and the sealant did not penatrate the inside tiles.  We will give Miguel a call.  Thanks to all.

The tiles look nicer sealed, but the sealer isn't the problem when it leaks. I have the same patio roof as above- no roof underneath, but a wooden framework. Leaks happen when the tiles are not overlapped enough, are not close enough together, or when leaves, dirt and detritus get stuck between the tiles, decompose and impede the flow of water, or if the roof doesn't have enough slope.

Those roof tiles have been used traditionally in Mexico and other places for generations, and I'm sure poor Mexicans didn't buy sealer, nor was acrylic sealer even available.

The sealer not only cuts down the moisture that wicks through, helping to protect the wood underneath, the tiles maintain their color much longer.  It can't compensate for poor installation as noted by mudgirl.

Something else I've been doing when repair work requires me to move and then put back down tiles is to brush the ones that are underneath and put a light coat of red impermabilizante down the center.  It isn't noticeable from the ground but the sections I've done this to are really water tight.  The top tiles seem to shed the water very well and don't need it.  I'm still experimenting with this but so far so good.

Archived