Chapala.com Webboard

Cataract surgery

bezerk

I would not let cost be a consideration. Your eyes are so important and some operators here aren't competent. Wait until you get many recommendations on competence and quality. 

I would strongly recommend Dr. Ricardo Acosta at Puerta de Hierro 333-848-4040.  He specializes only in cataracts and lasik, rather than any eye treatment that you will pay for, as is common practice at Lakeside.  Suggest that you get a couple of estimates as well to avoid lakeside gringo price gouging.

1 hour ago, BrianInMexico said:

I would strongly recommend Dr. Ricardo Acosta at Puerta de Hierro 333-848-4040.  He specializes only in cataracts and lasik, rather than any eye treatment that you will pay for, as is common practice at Lakeside.  Suggest that you get a couple of estimates as well to avoid lakeside gringo price gouging.

My wife just had both eyes done here.  She had earlier consulted with a state of the art laser surgery clinic in the U.S. and found Dr. Acosta's facility to be every bit as high tech.  She had laser surgery and two multi-focus lens installs for a total of $5700 U.S. at current exchange rates.  This was over a $1000 less quoted her in the U.S. and that price included significant insurance co-pay.

She is delighted, the procedure was swift and painless and the lenses enable her to have either short or long distance vision without need of eyeglasses.

Ditto:  enriqueroig@retina.com.mx is the e-mail that I have for him.  He has saved my bacon as my retinologist.  Clinica Santa Lucia is a highly specialized eye clinic and is fantastic!

If you would like to use a good eye doctor, I would definitely suggest Dr. Claudia, she advertises in OJO DEL LAGO.  Do not use the eue dotor who is located in Mirasol.  He ruined my right eye because he messed  up my cataract surgery, along with several other people's eyes.  Highly recommending Dr. Coaudia, she is wonderful

Super-enthusiastic thumbs up for Dra. Claudia. She did hubby's eyes last week with tri-focal lenses and his recovery has been amazing. I used her for a regular eye exam because I'd had a bad experience with another eye doc and she was really quick to respond to my e-mails when there were questions from Contacts.com. The difference in my vision, while subtle, has really made a difference...so much so that I'm about to book myself in for the same surgery as hubby. It was recommended to me in the past, but I've always been too scared for all of the obvious reasons. I'm still scared, but I don't think there's a better doc to trust with my eyes. For the top-of-the-line trifocals, the cost was $90k mxn for both eyes. As one poster said, you don't shop for a bargain when it comes to your eyes, but look for the best doctor you can get.

I have mentioned this before, about an eye doctor whose office is in Mirasonl  and I just want to add that  I came across an acquaintance of mine and when she asked me about what happened to my right eye< I told her about the cataract surgery  which  which did not go well from the aforementioned eye doctor, and because of him my right eye is blind.  She said that she had heard of 2 other people who had their eye ruined by the same eye doctor.  I just want to warn people to be aware of who you choose to operate on your precious eyes.  

19 hours ago, kamytoo said:

I have mentioned this before, about an eye doctor whose office is in Mirasonl  and I just want to add that  I came across an acquaintance of mine and when she asked me about what happened to my right eye< I told her about the cataract surgery  which  which did not go well from the aforementioned eye doctor, and because of him my right eye is blind.  She said that she had heard of 2 other people who had their eye ruined by the same eye doctor.  I just want to warn people to be aware of who you choose to operate on your precious eyes.  

Thank you for sharing this. I know some like to pooh-pooh the experiences of others, but when it comes to my eyes, I have to be honest and say I'm scared sh**less to have anything done, but I've reached the point where there aren't too many choices left. It's important that we hear the bad as well as the good. I'm so sorry things didn't go well for you. I can't even imagine what you've gone through.

• 3 months later...

It is for my mother, she was too nervous and scared before.  She did see DR. Rios, but I would like a second opinion with Dra Claudia I think.

We then will see if both are on the same page, prices and who seems a better fit.  Mother says she is ready now, so we will see.

Open to any further suggestions or thoughts! 

Thanks in advance, Can someone fill me in on the procedure, from start to finish so I can give Mom more info so as to ease her anxiety.

7 hours ago, bezerk said:

It is for my mother, she was too nervous and scared before.  She did see DR. Rios, but I would like a second opinion with Dra Claudia I think.

We then will see if both are on the same page, prices and who seems a better fit.  Mother says she is ready now, so we will see.

Open to any further suggestions or thoughts! 

Thanks in advance, Can someone fill me in on the procedure, from start to finish so I can give Mom more info so as to ease her anxiety.

I think the consensus among those who have posted is that Dr.Claudia would be the much preferred choice of the two.  I had mine done by Dr. Vargas, whose main office is in Guadalajara but who comes to the Ajijic Clinic once a week (maybe more often now) and is very good with explaining the process.  It was reassuring for me.  The surgery was done at the Hospital de Hierro in Guadalajara, where the equipment is top of the line.  I've heard mixed reviews from those who had "bifocal" procedures.  I kept it simple and use reading glasses when needed.  Best of luck!

And another plus for Dr.Claudia.   She did my stage 4 cataract several years ago and all is well.  I saw her last week to check on the other eye which was stage 2 back then.  She will do the surgery if I want but my vision overall is at 90%. One is farsighted and the other near.  So for the days I work on the computer or read for 5+ hours, I have reading glasses.

1 hour ago, Ellie said:

One is farsighted and the other near.  So for the days I work on the computer or read for 5+ hours, I have reading glasses.

I also had far/near sighted surgery. Instead of just buying off the shelf  reading glasses, I bought a pair of transition bifocals. They are my sunglasses and reading glasses.  The lense in the glasses for the nearsighted eye corrects it for distance. That way, one pair of glasses had handle the sun and if I need to read small print.  

I had Dr. Rios do cataract surgery on my left eye last year and am going to have the right eye done in the next month or two. I was aware of all the posts and concerns from folks that have had bad experiences and went into the process with that in mind. After visiting with him and having several tests done in his office and considering all the options I decided to go with him. I was very comfortable with the entire process and the results. I definitely understand that this is a very personal and important decision. I am just describing my personal experience. There are several great options available in our area and lots of good recommendations on this board.

As far as the process here is how it went for me -

• An appointment for an initial consultation including discussion of the process, options, types of lenses, etc.
  • Scheduled the surgery and went in for another detailed examination including what they referred to as a "lens measurement"
  • I had the choice of a couple of places for the actual surgery - Puerto de Hierro or a specialty eye clinic. I chose the specialty eye clinic.
  • One the day of the surgery my wife dropped me off at Dr. Rios' office and they had a young man there to drive me into the clinic. Another patient was also going in for a different type of surgery so the driver took both of us to the clinic.
  • We arrived at the clinic in Guadalajara in around an hour. Nice young man drove us in his car. Nothing fancy but a good experience. The clinic is also nothing fancy and was quite busy. We checked in at the front desk and filled out a little simple paperwork. Not much English but it was all pretty straightforward. The other patient was having trouble with her Spanish so they did have a nice young lady come to the desk who spoke great English. The check in process was easy and maybe 10-15 minutes.
  • A very busy waiting room but we were taken straight through to the back where the surgeries are done. Again nothing fancy but great equipment and really nice people. A bit more English once we got back there and got ready for the surgery. They had us change into what I would sort of describe as "white room" clothing to preserve a clean, sterile environment in the surgery area. Head to toe lightweight suit including foot and head covering. Got set up and received an IV for sedation during the surgery.
  • Dr. Rios arrived very shortly after we were made ready and the surgery began very quickly.
  • I don't remember anything about the surgery and there was no pain or discomfort. Following the surgery I had a patch over the eye but it was not uncomfortable at all.
  • The driver brought us back to Ajijic and took us directly to our homes.
  • The next day I had a followup appointment in Dr. Rios' office. Had the bandage removed and was given some drops to use during the healing process.
  • Another appointment the next week - just another checkup.
  • I am totally happy with the entire process and am looking forward to getting the other eye done in the near future.

Again, we are lucky to have lots of good choices available to us.

Archived