Chapala.com Webboard

Seguro Popular Changes ?

snowyco

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't understand the comment it is hard to retire in Mexico now and then comparing immigrating to Canada in the same sentence.

It is almost imposible to retire to Canada or the US but very easy to retire to Mexico. Here you need income or investments that match the required minimums. How can it get any easier - lower the minimums? Here a temp. or permanent legal residents gets to join socialized medicine, own property, buy vehicles and leave the country for as long as you like.

Where is it not allowed for a legal temporary resident to buy a vehical, register it, buy insurance, and get  a Mexican drivers license?

Seguro Popular now covers autism plus heart and lung transplants. It has covered HIV for some time. At least in San Miguel diálysis is not provided but hopefuly soon. 

A friend's artificial knee replacement was 33,000 pesos. Her story is on my web site under "healthcare".

Based on a phone call a few minutes ago from Seguro Popular staff MX government will decide by Monday if they will stop all expats from joining Seguro Popular in retaliation for the steel and aluminum import duites.

I also suggest anyone who wants to get pre-approved for a temporary or permanent resident visa do so now just in case rules change.

Nothing may happen but anything is possible. And, even more so in a time of election. Mexicans are fiercely proud. 

I sure hope Mexico can come up with something more effective to retaliate against steel and aluminum import duties than banning a few thousand mostly retired/senior Americans from enrolling in a national healthcare program that most of us will never use, anyway. Almost laughable. 

I think the Mexican Constitution prevents SP from excluding foreign legal residents.

https://www.oas.org/juridico/mla/en/mex/en_mex-int-text-const.pdf

TITLE ONE
CHAPTER ONE
Fundamental rights
Article 1. In the United Mexican States, all persons
shall enjoy the fundamental rights recognized by
this Constitution, which may not be abridged nor
suspended except in those cases and under such
conditions as herein provided.

Slavery is forbidden in the United Mexican States.
Slaves who shall step into Mexican territory shall, 
just by this fact alone, attain their freedom and the
protection of the laws.

Every form of discrimination motivated by ethnic
or national origin, gender, age, incapacities, sexual
preferences, status or any other which attempt on
human dignity or seeks to annul or diminish the rights
and liberties of the people, is prohibited. 

22 hours ago, Sonia said:

MX government will decide by Monday if they will stop all expats from joining Seguro Popular in retaliation for the steel and aluminum import duites.

Sonia - you know the Mexican Congress is a calamitous mess - it always has been. Many outrageous statements, outright blowhards, and "fake news" accusations. Does not mean the Senators or Presidente will pass into law. Of more concern is the dipping peso. As per the strategy of Prime Minister Trudeau, they will select retalitary tariffs on items which can be sourced from other countries. He gives the example of writing pens. Mexican Congress has already raised the possibilty of out sourcing corn, which would be devastating to U.S. corn farmers. It could be a good opportunity for Mexico to permanently break the dependence on U.S. manufactured goods, maybe building a global alliance of trade partners would be a good thing. Something to be fiercely proud about indeed.

That's all fine and good and will Mexico "break" their dependence on a very large trade, tourism, remittance and drug purchase surplus with the U.S.?  Adds up to north of $150 billion U.S. every year in Mexico's favor.  

Mexico already in the trade hole to the tune of $60 billion plus trade deficit with the Chinese and $9 billion with the Koreans.  Per usual when "trading" with China they manage to buy only $9 billion here, mostly raw materials. 

Why would anyone think Mexico is going to be exploited less by China than basically every one else who trades with that country?  How many jobs are already being lost to Mexico because of the deficit with China?

How would adding to their trade deficit while attacking the principal source of their trade surplus benefit Mexico?

Great to ventilate on how Mexico should outsource to others but not so easy to consider and weigh the consequences of doing this with someone who already buys a lot more from you than you do from them or how such large inflows can be replaced any time soon?

Perhaps Chillin you'd like to share with us just who out there is going to take the U.S. role in pumping large trade and currency surpluses into Mexico?

Inquiring minds want to know.  :)

Have to agree with MC. I'm looking forward to getting 30-40 pesos per USD if Mexico takes that path.

Cutting off one's nose to spite one's face.

I just wish these strutting and pontificating politicians would recognize the real economic enemy is on the other side of the Pacific and pursue a policy of fostering the return of those jobs to this hemisphere to the benefit of all.  China is successfully waging war with all of us using trade and we are too stupid to realize it and do something about it.  Instead we are squabbling among ourselves while the Chinese laugh all the way to the bank.

Imagine if all those jobs were distributed across Mexico, Central America and some to the U.S. and Canada.  There is NOTHING made over there that couldn't and shouldn't be made in this hemisphere.

I don't know - there always great strength in economic alliances. Nafta was working pretty good - if you now include China, Europe, Canada - all have been targetted in this upcoming trade war - the prognosis is good, if a little uncomfortable at first, all these allies have been through this in their histories. The question is, if the U.S.A. keeps building it's moats, and other countries stop buying their products, they will end up with a squashed economy, and no allies to call upon - including it's closest neighbours. This policy does not work in a game of chess, and most certainly does not work in the world of international politics and economics.

Seguro Popular senior staff today are looking at raising fee for coverage. We already have a fee in San Miguel.

In a few states it is reported they have been excluding temporary residents.

I am suprised when some expats have an issue with limitations on Seguro Popular. Some are so against what you called "socialized" medicine and the ACA.

23 minutes ago, Al Berca said:

I am just against using fear mongering to encourage the new and uninformed to spend their money needlessly on unnecessary services by constantly self promoting "facilitators". That's all.

Facilitators definitely have their place, and most charge very reasonable fees.  For example,  when my husband and I wanted to sign up for Seguro Popular last spring, Luzma Grande took us to the Chapala office in her car, did the applications for us and took us back to Ajijic for less than a good lunch costs.  Our Spanish speaking skills are limited, so it was well worth it.

On 5/31/2018 at 6:16 PM, Sonia said:

Based on a phone call a few minutes ago from Seguro Popular staff MX government will decide by Monday if they will stop all expats from joining Seguro Popular in retaliation for the steel and aluminum import duites.

I also suggest anyone who wants to get pre-approved for a temporary or permanent resident visa do so now just in case rules change.

Nothing may happen but anything is possible. And, even more so in a time of election. Mexicans are fiercely proud. 

"All expats?"  That wouldn't be fair to Canadian expats who are getting slammed by the U.S. as well on steel and aluminum import duties. Sonia!  I think you need to rephrase your sentence.

9 minutes ago, suegarn said:

"All expats?"  That wouldn't be fair to Canadian expats who are getting slammed by the U.S. as well on steel and aluminum import duties. Sonia!  I think you need to rephrase your sentence.

Based on a call last night at 8 pm from SP manager they are also looking at having a much higher fee and all TR and PR being assigned Decil 8. It would be impossible legally to differentiate expats from different countries. Vast majority of expats are Americans. Hopefully, this all gets settled with no change. But 2 states exclude TR's from Seguro Popular and I believe at least two charge a fee including here in Guanajuato state. 

As to facilitators, no expat in SMA was allowed to apply for SP until I challenged the system including a trip to SP in Mexico City. After weeks of calls and emails and a final letter delivered to my house TR's and PR's from then on were allowed to join.

I volunteer for SP and work closely with some very senior SP staff. I represent them at several presentations annually. I call it informing based the information I am provided. Not sure how many of you get phone calls at 8 pm on a Friday nght with the latest possibilities. 

3 minutes ago, Sonia said:

Based on a call last night at 8 pm from SP manager they are also looking at having a much higher fee and all TR and PR being assigned Decil 8. It would be impossible legally to differentiate expats from different countries. Vast majority of expats are Americans. Hopefully, this all gets settled with no change. But 2 states exclude TR's from Seguro Popular and I believe at least two charge a fee including here in Guanajuato state. 

I don't think they'll want to do this, especially if they're going to include all expats, including Canadians, Brits and Europeans.  I think that you're wrong when you use the term 'vast majority' are Americans.  In Ajijic, I think that there are almost as many Canadian expats getting resident visas as Americans.  

27 minutes ago, suegarn said:

I don't think they'll want to do this, especially if they're going to include all expats, including Canadians, Brits and Europeans.  I think that you're wrong when you use the term 'vast majority' are Americans.  In Ajijic, I think that there are almost as many Canadian expats getting resident visas as Americans.  

Canada has 1/9 the population of the US. My husband is associated with the Canadian Embassy and has all the names of the Canadians in SMA registered with the embassy. It is not that many. I have processed thousands of visas and here in SMA the vast majority are Americans. The number of Canadians living in Mexico I suspect is about 1/9 of the number of Americans. 

Canadian Department of Foreign Affairs estimates about 125,000 Canadians live at least part of the year in Mexico and other Latin American countries.

8 minutes ago, Sonia said:

But 2 states exclude TR's from Seguro Popular and I believe at least two charge a fee including here in Guanajuato state.

Sonia,

In another thread, you said that federal programs cannot be modified by a state. Seguro Popular is available to all residents and a temporary resident is a resident, no?

15 minutes ago, AngusMactavish said:

Sonia,

In another thread, you said that federal programs cannot be modified by a state. Seguro Popular is available to all residents and a temporary resident is a resident, no?

Angus I did not say that but I believe others have. In Nayarit I am told as recent as again yesterday TR go to Jalisco to join SP. I have also read here and elsewhere SP in not available to TR in Q Roo. In SMA all expats pay at least $1300 p for 1 year of SP. I am told by SP staff there is a similar fee in another state.

4 hours ago, suegarn said:

So what you are saying is that it is ok for Canada to screw the US in Nafta and other trade deals? Or should the US stand up to being screwed all these years?

Archived