Chapala.com Webboard

Owning a Mexican Plated Car on a Tourist Visa

Some friends staying in our casita own a Mexican plated car. They are here on a tourist visa.

They were told that due to some change in the law, only people with a residente permanente can now own Mexican plated vehicles.

I have not run across any postings on this subject and was wondering if they are correct. They are making plans to sell the car because they don't wish to pursue a RP.

32 minutes ago, AngusMactavish said:

Total BS. I bought a new Nissan March in Ocotlan as a tourist and the dealer got tags for me with only a passport. I have since renewed the tag in Chapala without showing any visa.

There may be a difference between "what you can do" and " what is legal".   HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I did talk to Spencer McMullen S&S Auto Approximately 18 months ago.. 

Both told me "You cannot REGISTER a Mexican plated vehicle on a tourist visa"

The law changed in early 2016. But if you as a tourist  already own a Mexican plated vehicle that's OK. you can still get the yearly sticker as they never ask for any kind of ID or proof that your a PR or TR.

Well, Spencer told me that a tourist could not register a car in Chapala as they "interpret" the law differently. S&S said they would not deal with a tourist. As I have said many times, go somewhere else to register it, like Ocotlan. No tip or bribe needed. Just cash, proof of address, and a passport. I bought my new car in March of 2017.

8 minutes ago, Travis said:

You bought a new car. Did the dealer handle getting it plated and registered the first time?

Yes. I paid them the fee and they delivered the plated car to my door.

I just renewed my plates on my Mexican plated car. I personally saw people in the office successfully renewing with tourist visas. I was talking with the guy sitting next to me in line who was doing exactly that. He went up to the counter right before I did and walked out with his renewal and a smile.

10 hours ago, TelsZ4 said:

Neighbor of mine went to Joco last week to try and register a vehicle he was going to purchase and was told he could not register the vehicle with a tourist visa...

Send him to Ocotlan. They do not want a visa, just cash, proof of address, and a passport.

Archived