Chapala.com Webboard

Loud music in San Antonio--how to contact the bar?

Agree with Gringal......but.....some people are born to try and change the world to fit their view of how said world should be and function. It is the reason they get up every morning, rail endlessly about their favorite gripe, and try to force others to see how stupid they are for not seeing the gross injustices that are so obvious to them. They are usually called something like "community activists" and are admired by some and despised by others. They will be with us forever.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, pappysmarket said:

Agree with Gringal......but.....some people are born to try and change the world to fit their view of how said world should be and function. It is the reason they get up every morning, rail endlessly about their favorite gripe, and try to force others to see how stupid they are for not seeing the gross injustices that are so obvious to them. They are usually called something like "community activists" and are admired by some and despised by others. They will be with us forever.

That is not the description of a "community activist".  'Nough said:rolleyes::rolleyes:

13 hours ago, Ladominguera said:

My conversation this morning with my 83 year old father...

Me:  How are you doing today?

Him:  Oh I can’t complain.  Won’t do me any good anyways.  

My dad would say, “I could complain but nobody will listen.” This was before web boards and Facebook, of course. 

10 hours ago, ned small said:

That is not the description of a "community activist".  'Nough said:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Absolutely.  A "community activist" does positive things such initiating fundraisers for charity, organizing graffiti removal, starting interest-oriented groups, etc.

They may do some moaning and groaning on the side about other matters as well, though.:lol:

Hmmmm..........I'll have to consider that. But the fundraising for charity never goes into their own pockets, right? And the good things they do is never just a cover to unite folks behind their true agenda of changing the social order to their way of thinking, right? Their motives are always altruistic and never selfish and devious, right? I must apologize for being an old cynic and failing to see the big heart of these truly courageous fighters for justice.

1 minute ago, pappysmarket said:

Hmmmm..........I'll have to consider that. But the fundraising for charity never goes into their own pockets, right? And the good things they do is never just a cover to unite folks behind their true agenda of changing the social order to their way of thinking, right? Their motives are always altruistic and never selfish and devious, right? I must apologize for being an old cynic and failing to see the big heart of these truly courageous fighters for justice.

"failing to see the big heart of these truly courageous fighters for justice."

Aw, c'mon.  As another old cynic to the core, I still have to acknowledge the work of people out there who really do get nothing but personal satisfaction for doing good without personal gain.  I'm thinking of one man who used to stand patiently at Superlake collecting for the Red Cross.  There are established artists who volunteer their time teaching young'uns at the LCS Childrens Art Progam and people who run it, all without pay. Some volunteer in the thrift stores supporting worthy charities.  Others work to keep the music programs alive. Sure, there are a few motivated by a combination of ego enhancement and simple greed, but not all.  The best of those who live among us aren't "fighting for justice" at all.  "justice" is far too ephemeral, anyway. One person's "justice" may deprive another of making a living. And so on.

3 hours ago, pappysmarket said:

Apparently 'nough said wasn't enough about your description of what a true community activist is but you have described a couple of people on this board to a "t" and community activist does not describe them and their agendas. There are several people in this area and not on any local board who's actions are truly altruistic. Yes I am a cynic.

36 minutes ago, gringal said:

"failing to see the big heart of these truly courageous fighters for justice."

Aw, c'mon.  As another old cynic to the core, I still have to acknowledge the work of people out there who really do get nothing but personal satisfaction for doing good without personal gain.  I'm thinking of one man who used to stand patiently at Superlake collecting for the Red Cross.  There are established artists who volunteer their time teaching young'uns at the LCS Childrens Art Progam and people who run it, all without pay. Some volunteer in the thrift stores supporting worthy charities.  Others work to keep the music programs alive. Sure, there are a few motivated by a combination of ego enhancement and simple greed, but not all.  The best of those who live among us aren't "fighting for justice" at all.  "justice" is far too ephemeral, anyway. One person's "justice" may deprive another of making a living. And so on.

The folks you describe would never, by me, be considered community activists. I think you know the type of people I am referring to but the constraints placed on this board do not make for a free discussion. I respect your POV as well as Ned's.

1 hour ago, pappysmarket said:

but the constraints placed on this board do not make for a free discussion.

No problem.  We have another local chat board where one can libel and be as personally nasty from behind their keyboard as they like if that is what their vision of "free discussion" is.  One should feel free to use it to their heart's content for that kind of "free discussion." 

It is unfortunate the members there who do this almost constantly will never figure out their attacks say a lot more about themselves than the person or people they are internet bullying and it isn't very complimentary.

You are correct though this is not permitted here and we don't apologize for that one bit.  :D

Well I wasn't complaining, just stating the facts. I totally respect how any board owner chooses to run it. If I don't like it, as you say, I can go elsewhere or start my own. Sure wish governments everywhere would adopt that philosophy and let owners of everything do as they please. 

Adam Smith (We all who he is, right: The Founding Father of Capitalism?), John Locke, and Paul Sweezy, among others, have told us that the highest purpose of the state, and of the economic system it controls, is the protection of the interests of those who are in charge (That means those who own property!) and who thereby benefit from the system. Neither a political nor an economic system can make provision for changes that are contrary to its basic characteristics and goals. It is not rational, therefore, to expect that too much change will be allowed for.

1 hour ago, pappysmarket said:

Well I wasn't complaining, just stating the facts. I totally respect how any board owner chooses to run it. If I don't like it, as you say, I can go elsewhere or start my own. Sure wish governments everywhere would adopt that philosophy and let owners of everything do as they please. 

No one said you were.  I wanted to make it clear here's plenty of room for free discussion here what the board's owners want to avoid here is mean spirited "discussion" of the alleged flaws of other members or other people in the community such as is the norm on TOB.

I believe this topic has been well aired and a number of contrasting views expressed without any real rancor.  That is what the moderating team strives for in our imperfect way.

For the  most part I think the sort of thing I referred to has its roots in an intolerance of views other than one's own.  There's this basic problem with the internet, too, that people who tend to this sort of intolerance feel quite free to be as rude and nasty to someone they don't even know while hiding behind their keyboards.  This is a well researched and discussed reality of this medium so it doesn't require further discussion here.

Having been the target of some of that I have noticed without exception none of the libelers have the courage to confront me personally.  Not a brave bunch to say the least.

For myself I have learned that as a simple and readily understood rule for participating on internet boards:  If you wouldn't say it to the person't face, don't post it.  

I'm going to close the topic because it has gone well off course.  Thanks to those who participated in a civil manner. 

Archived