Chapala.com Webboard

entrance to Macrolibramiento toward Puerto Vallarta

Driving up from Puerto Vallarta today, I took the apparently new "corta" Autopista del Sur de Guadalajara from Compostela, which fed into the apparently new Macrolibramiento de Guadalajara and put me right on the Guadalajara to Chapala highway 23, headed to Chapala.  The tolls of 588 pesos were significant, and there was a very long backup and delay at one of the toll booths, but the drive was much easier than it used to be.

When I drive back toward Guadalajara on 23 to go back to Puerto Vallarta, will I find an entrance to the Macrolibramiento?  Will I have to do a retorno or some other maneuver to get on it?

Thanks.

On my drive a couple of weeks ago from Guayabitos to Ajijic the total time was 3 1/2 hours to the light at Walmart. The trip across town took another 15-20 minutes.

It's about an hour and 10 minutes from the PV airport to Guayabitos but the time on Hwy 200 can vary a lot based on the number of slow moving trucks and $%&/()s passing on blind curves.

On a "normal" drive up to Guadalajara and west on Lazaro Cardenas, it is exactly 90 minutes to the Tequila exit. Taking the microlibermento saved 8 minutes. So paying $193p is not worth 8 minutes. It is worth it for the ease of travel and the avoidance of traveling across Guadalajara. 

8 minutes ago, tomgates said:

On a "normal" drive up to Guadalajara and west on Lazaro Cardenas, it is exactly 90 minutes to the Tequila exit. Taking the microlibermento saved 8 minutes. So paying $193p is not worth 8 minutes. It is worth it for the ease of travel and the avoidance of traveling across Guadalajara. 

That's pretty amazing.  Did you measure the kilometers of each route?  What time of day did you drive Lazaro Cardenas?  Often it is very slow.

Almost sounds like the Macrolibremiento route would have to be significantly longer given you can drive it at 110kph.

Also you are saving some wear and tear on the car as a lot of the route through GDL is rough.

The Lazaro Cardenas route is very dependent on time of day and day of week. Ninety minutes to Tequila is the best possible time. I've also been stuck near Lopez Mateos where it took well over 2 hours.

The macrolibramento provides a consistent time to Tequila and points west. You also don't have to dodge cars that are cutting in front of you attempting to jump one car length and as MC says, spend less time looking out for potholes on the Chapala highway. How about all those topes in Nestipac before the cuota begins. No thanks.

This screenshot explains a lot.  From Ajijic Centro if you pick up the macrolibre via Joco to Lopez Mateos, 112 klicks and a ton of topes.  If you go via chapala highway to the macrolibre 126 klicks.  If you go via Lazaro Cardenas 112 klicks.  

Screenshot (8).png

I believe it is longer, it actually starts out by Zapotlanejo and there are three toll booths.  If you get on at Lopez Mateos I believe there would be only one toll.  Interestingly we found using it on the way home from Costco did not save any time and of course you have to drive on some of the worst parts of that bone jarring disgrace called Chapala highway.  So ya takes your choice between topes via Joco and endless potholes via Chapala highway but at least with the former you save a 70 peso toll.

This outgoing Jalisco government certainly presided over a marked decline in the "free" roads of this state.  Chapala highway is but one example, basically all of them have declined significantly in the last few years.  The one exception seems to be the road to Mazamitla which actually gets some maintenance and improvement.  Tapalpa has not been so lucky and the "free" road to PV via ruta 70 has gotten downright hazardous.

Now there's a route with some serious topes!  Have tried it but find the Joco route seems to be the fastest.  The Periferico also can be faster but it really depends on time of day.  I generally go that way on Sundays when I also need to go to Home Depot.

Thanks, all.  I want to return to P.V. via the macrolibramiento, despite the tolls, because the road is so good.

I understand that driving toward Guadalajara on the Guadalajara-Chapala highway 23, I take the returno after the "Burrito Triangle."  I think I know what the Burrito Triangle is, near the junction of the highway from La Barca, but I can't remember its name, and it would be helpful if someone could tell me what its name is

As best as I can tell, the Microliberamento bends somewhat south before heading NW. I think it crosses Lopez Mateo about 4 or 5 k north of the Joco route junction. So it is more k's than the other routes, albeit a nicer road and driving experience.

Archived