Chapala.com Webboard

Where to buy unbaked pie crust at lakeside

sm1mex

Easy enough to make:

for 2 crusts

2 1/2 C flour

1 T sugar

20 T fat, I use 12 T butter and 8 T butter flavored crisco (butter cold in refer and crisco in freezer)

1/2t salt

Blend with pasty cutter or use food processor.

Add ice water and stir with knife until all incorporated. Divide in two and roll out. No wait in refer.

30 minutes ago, tomgates said:

Easy enough to make:

for 2 crusts

2 1/2 C flour

1 T sugar

20 T fat, I use 12 T butter and 8 T butter flavored crisco (butter cold in refer and crisco in freezer)

1/2t salt

Add ice water and stir with knife until all incorporated. Divide in two and roll out. No wait in refer.

There it goes again.  OP asks where to buy finished product.  Poster suggests doing it yourself. Some things never change!

:rolleyes:

All the well intention-ed folks who post the "do it yourself" recipes perhaps do not realize that many of us ladies have been the family cook for many many years and are wanting to "retire" from much of that now.  We're making life as easy as possible, and why not?  So, how do you have pizza for dinner?  First, you pick up the phone.................:rolleyes:

We  are witnessing a generation who has lost their connection to food - where it came from, how it is prepared, what has been added to enhance its flavour or shelf life.

I agree, my own mother worked outside the home, cooked all the dinners, got our school lunches together and still had time to preserve a large family garden. One time, she got a brainstorm to try those new TV dinners- saves her time, dishes, etc. So mine was Salisbury steak (meat patty) with mashed potatoes and peas. Looked good - until I noticed a large, well cooked hookworm on top of the patty. After that TV dinners were out, and I have had a life long suspicion about overly processed foods. In Puerto Vallarta, I had my first ever food allergy. I checked into hospital overnight, just to be safe (major face swelling). I got it from eating KFC spicy chicken. I did some research, and found they reduced the MSG, by popular demand, but added MSG enhancers - many of which have not been approved for human consumption. I also have no idea what KFC puts in their "cole slaw" that it can stay bright green for so long.

My Mother - well now she lives in an assisted living place, all meals (except breakfast) are prepared, they vacuum her place, change the bed linens, and she seems very happy there - but complains about the food, which my grandmother did before her. Maybe it is the limitation of cooking with a steam table or that she has overfond memories of a home cooked, family meal.

Good points, Chillin

My mother's cooking was nothing to get excited about,  but it was made from clean ingredients; some from our garden.  She didn't trust prepared foods such as TV dinners, so I missed out on that experience.  Finding a hookworm?  Yecch.

Fortunately,  our gringo bubble has attracted some restaurants specializing in "real" food and we need not eat the junk (unless it's what we prefer).  Guadalajara has every kind of junk food anyone finds a desire for.  The Monday and Tuesday markets have some delicious home prepared food, too.

I'm such a stickler about ingredients that I carry a small magnifying glass to check the labels in the store since they use such tiny print that normal eyes can't read it.  I don't wonder why.

B)

20 hours ago, tomgates said:

Easy enough to make:

for 2 crusts

2 1/2 C flour

1 T sugar

1/2t salt

Good posting if you want to try to make it.   I love to cook so problem for me. 

You gave them an option which is great to do in case they do not find what they are looking for.

Archived