Chapala.com Webboard

Update to our terms of use

cedros

Did anyone else get a message from Microsoft about update to our terms of use? Is it spam or what are you supposed to do with it?

I did not receive any communications from Microsoft and I have several products with Windows 10 on it.

If you suspect that what you received is spam, do not respond to anything on it. And do not provide any information thereon or click on any link shown on the page.

I suspect that some of our computer experts will have some other suggestions as well.

If you check the sender email, you'll see who is really sending it. I routinely block spam email, when you use the block function, it will show you the real address behind the fake sender name. You can do this by clicking on the sender name as well. 

Since pretty much everyone who lives here has a computer, tablet, and/or smartphone, we have a shared, common experience. Whether that is asking LCS questions or computer questions, I see no difficulties.

2 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

Since pretty much everyone who lives here has a computer, tablet, and/or smartphone, we have a shared, common experience. Whether that is asking LCS questions or computer questions, I see no difficulties.

CG, Do you know if you have to set up a Microsoft account so you can use their products? If not, maybe that is why some got the e-mail and some did not. I have an account and I got the e-mail.

3 hours ago, Go Solar said:

And not exactly a "lakeside" category topic either.

A number of times in the past I have posted things in the right topic and a moderator has told me not many people read that topic so it is better to post it in Lakeside.

2 hours ago, Tiny said:

CG, Do you know if you have to set up a Microsoft account so you can use their products? If not, maybe that is why some got the e-mail and some did not. I have an account and I got the e-mail.

No, fortunately, you don't have to. Although they often try every trick they can think of to make you think you must, especially when doing a new installation of Windows. And lately in Windows 10, when I wanted to change my desktop background theme, they insisted it had to be through the MS store, which requires an email sign in. Nasty.

But no, the email is a scam through and through, and is just being targeted at people who have hotmail, live or outlook.com addresses. Not by Microsoft, but by someone who bought a list of email addresses off another scammer.

On 3/15/2018 at 3:23 PM, ComputerGuy said:

No, fortunately, you don't have to. Although they often try every trick they can think of to make you think you must, especially when doing a new installation of Windows. And lately in Windows 10, when I wanted to change my desktop background theme, they insisted it had to be through the MS store, which requires an email sign in. Nasty.

But no, the email is a scam through and through, and is just being targeted at people who have hotmail, live or outlook.com addresses. Not by Microsoft, but by someone who bought a list of email addresses off another scammer.

Just received both Microsoft and PayPal "Update Terms" e-mails in my mailbox.

Archived