Chapala.com Webboard

Thai Bucket Stove

ComputerGuy

Chillin' off handedly alerted me to a cooking device I had never heard of before, but he has certainly experienced over many travels. The Thai Bucket Stove. I'm fascinated. While I enjoy my Mexican chimney, and my Mexican clay BBQ that has been retrofitted for gas, I still rely on my good ol' NOB style gas BBQ. I have never tried to use a wok on it, though, because it's just not hot enough. And even though Mexican food is a huge favourite, I love Asian food, and think I might give this a try.

Here is a link for those who are interested in this cooking technique, which is commonplace in other parts of the world. https://importfood.com/products/thai-cookware/item/tao-charcoal-burner-made-in-thailand

Yes - it only cost $13 to ship from Seattle to Laredo, including another box of oddball accessories. Then those morons at iShop decided that is was near Xmas time, they shipped it overnight freight -$139 U.S.! I think someone in Mexico should make a knockoff - "Maya" bucket stove, if you will. I have met one the largest manufacturers of outdoor gas fireplace logs. He has tried to manufacture in China, then Mexico, but he could not get the quality control he needed. But this stove, it doesn't matter so much, like a "folk" item, supporting a poor village in Mexico. I read that at peak flame, it creates 700F heat, only uses a quarter bag of charcoal per run

Oh, there are many varieties of this kind of structure throughout Asia, like Mongolia (seen a Mongolian Wok?). Obviously historically something that travelled and was changed and refined through different cultures over the years. But I like the concept of this one.

Archived