Chapala.com Webboard

Strange animal in the trees last night...???

Cincy

We had a strange visitor last night...  A single animal with a body the size of a small cat was seen climbing around in the trees and shrubbery at 10:00 PM.  It was hard to get a good view but the gardener did manage to get a couple of shots with his phone camera.  At first I thought it was a lone coati, which are to be found around here.  It had the classic long "ring tail" but not the long snout.  It did not have the features and characteristics of a racoon.  The gardener and his helper thought it looked like one of the characters from the movie, "Madagascar".  A lemur!  I must admit it did look like a lemur with a shout cute snout but surely not in Mexico unless it is an escaped pet.

Anyone have any ideas?  We live up against the mountain in Ajijic.

1 hour ago, Cincy said:

Ringed-tail Cat it is!  The gardener, who was the main observer, agrees.  They exist throughout most of Mexico (and the Southern U.S.) except in the Yucatan.  This is the first he's seen in 14 years of living in Ajijic!  Thank you bournemouth!

Our neighbors here had one in their garden a few years back and we had seen them in Arizona.  Lovely little creatures.

20 hours ago, CHILLIN said:

What an interesting animal. New to me, thanks for sharing. We think we saw a Jaguarundi  one evening at dusk

https://bigcatrescue.org/jaguarundi-facts/

The students from the International School, had a project using motion sensor cameras. There are definitely in the mountains around here. They like to be near running water.

I've spotted jaguarundi close to where I live several times over the past 3 years. I've talked to the wildlife rescue people and they are VERY rare and the population is VERY small. With there was a way to protect habitat for them. Was also told by a local that there used to be a small herd of deer in the same area but a local farmer didn't want them on his land so he shot them.

Curiously there was a video posted on Yahoo today of a male Jaguarundi trying to make friends with a caretaker. He is used to people (rescued from a private home), will not bite (mind you - all pet owners say that!). These are the rarest cats in the world. There was a large cat spotted at LCS, it was killing the resident cats and rats there.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6gceal

Archived