Chapala.com Webboard

You can't make an ash out of me

Ferret

Kids playing with firecrackers set the vacant lot next door to my house on fire late this afternoon. I sincerely hope it scared the living daylights out of them. The fire is now out thanks to all the neighbours with hoses and buckets. The bomberos arrived with hardly any water.
It was a rude awakening to my afternoon siesta at 4:50 with a phone call from my neighbour. I would not have heard the phone except for my dogs barking because I sleep with ear plugs. Thankfully, all my windows were closed with the fans on which I'm sure helped to keep the unbelievable amount of smoke out of my house.
I have a small transfer pump above my aljibe but discovered I couldn't attach my hose to it for more pressure. That is now at the top of my "to do" list and I will keep my extra hose coiled on the roof at the ready. The pressure from my tinaco really didn't cut the mustard but helped somewhat.

So, what's your fire plan? It's too hot too early and everything is very dry. Just a heads up.

The same thing happened to me maybe 5 years ago. Although I am not sure how the fire started about two vacant lots to the East of me, but it went wild and approached my property line as it starting racing up the hill into the woods above my house. All we could do was attempt to water the land just outside the property line and somehow kept it from crossing into my property. Well it burned for hours as it raced up the hillside. And the bombarros could do nothing but watch it go up the mountain and eventually burn out.

I'm sitting here absolutely wired and just getting around to eating dinner. I've called or e-mailed and thanked all the people who helped out. The young police officer who took over for me on the roof left before I could get his name and thank him personally. He went above and beyond his duty. THANK YOU!

For your preparedness kit, I would suggest some swimming goggles to protect your eyes since mine were streaming from the smoke. Also some paper masks to protect from or at least filter the smoke. I had the lower half of my face tucked into my Tshirt but still blew black soot out of my nose later. I tend to go on remote control when dealing with an emergency and fall apart later, so please excuse the babble. Murphy's Law. Please plan accordingly and, hopefully, you'll never ever need to use your plan.

Archived