Chapala.com Webboard

Small dog surgeon recommendation

I am looking for a recommendation for a local veterinarian for surgery to remove some teeth from my puppy. She is a 1 year old Prague Ratter who still has some of her puppy teeth. I am concerned because of the possible problems with anesthesia since my puppy is small, 4 pounds. 

I would appreciate any recommendations. 

Thank you. 

Dr Hector Ramirez  331-223-3107  He and his sister Carmen have cleaned my dogs teeth from my 2 1/2 pound Chihuahua through many of my small and mid sized dogs.

He has cleaned the teeth of a 6 pound 15 year old poodle cross no problems 

Teeth cleaning and teeth removal are not the same thing, Sue.

Ttervooren, I suggest Dr. Hector Ladron in Riberas (Ladron Animal Clinic). Not only are they excellent, they also have all the latest and up-to-date equipment in the unlikely event something should go awry with your pup. 

I have a small 3 1/2 year- old Siamese cat with many health and congenital defects, one of them being his adult canine teeth (upper and lower) never stopped growing -- totally  unheard of! Hector was able to ascertain  (1) the lowers which were the biggest issue could not be removed as planned since the roots were entangled around the extra-fragile lower jaw, so (2) was able to file them down enough, not getting into the "quick", so the cat is once again able to eat.

He gets injections every 12 weeks, and we are measuring the upper canines by the millimeter each visit, so when they get too long, they also will be filed down.

Good luck with your pup!

Natasha some of the time they are forced to remove one or more teeth when they clean them either because of the condition of the tooth or because the baby teeth are still there causing a problem I did not think anyone needed to have that spelled out.  Dr Ramirez has had to do remove baby teeth on a few of my many dogs. What I like about taking them to him is that you know who will be working on your pet not some intern in the back room.

7 hours ago, sue said:

Natasha some of the time they are forced to remove one or more teeth when they clean them either because of the condition of the tooth or because the baby teeth are still there causing a problem I did not think anyone needed to have that spelled out.  Dr Ramirez has had to do remove baby teeth on a few of my many dogs. What I like about taking them to him is that you know who will be working on your pet not some intern in the back room.

Sue, well aware of what you say here and agree most  of the time it's that simple. So not going to get in any kind of spitting match with you, but do feel the need to respond as follows:

(1) Dr. Isabel has been at Ladron's for longer than you have lived in Mexico. That she chooses to work in the back room rather than in the consultas is her choice, and she does a fine job there.  Dr. Mauricio has worked in Ladron's Guadalajara home clinic for for a long time, and still splits his time between the two. Dr.  Hugo also started in the Guad clinic, altho' is here more of the time at present. I doubt any of them would appreciate being referred to as "...some intern in the back room..." 

I cannot say if Najibe has completed her internship as I can't remember how long she's been there altho' I do believe it's more than a year, and that she also does not deserve your remark. But I do know that whenever she is performing an assigned task back there, at least one other veterinarian is always there with her in case of need.

As to my cat and ttervooren's dog, experience is what counts if there is any reason at all to fear the animal's outcome. I know perfectly well someone other than Hector began what should have been a simple extraction of those lower canine teeth. I also know that many times, even a human dentist has to pull a little harder if a tooth resists coming free in a person. But what's important in Malcolm's case was that as soon as unusual resistance was found, trying harder what NOT what happened.  Hector was immediately summoned. He sized up the situation,  ordered xrays, and learned that as overlong as the canines were, so were the roots..... AND they were tangled inextricably around an abnormally thin and fragile jaw.

So had  "whoever" simply tried a little harder the poor baby would have had not just a broken, but a totally shattered and irreparable lower jaw. And that's why I prefer to use a place with lots of total years of experience as well as all the needed equipment  for any emergency that could arise.

"I cannot say if Najibe has completed her internship as I can't remember how long she's been there altho' I do believe it's more than a year, and that she also does not deserve your remark. But I do know that whenever she is performing an assigned task back there, at least one other veterinarian is always there with her in case of need."

Najibe is indeed a full veterinarian and can be one of the vets on call during holidays or after hours because she came to the clinic for one of my cats during the last holiday weekend. 

The surgery went very well. Dr. Ladron was very receptive to my many questions and put me at ease before the surgery.  Dulcecita and I arrived at 9 am and left at 12:30 with the 2 extra canine teeth in a cute little container. I thought the cost was very reasonable at 1400 pesos (they also cleaned her teeth and clipped the toenails). The staff was very professional and kind. I could not be happier with the service and the care they gave to my puppy. Thank you all again for the recommendation. 

Archived