Chapala.com Webboard

Age/Working Online question

Hello all,

I am looking to apply for temporary residency, probably at the Laredo consulate. I'm just starting an online freelance job (don't have 6 months of financials), but I do have 12 months of over $25,000 in savings/investments. I am only 25, will my age cause a problem? I only ask because I know most people trying to get TR or PR are retired, and will I have any problems telling the consulate that I will be working online (it's not a Mexican company)? Any advice/insights are appreciated. Thanks. 

I don't know that most people applying for temporary residency are retired, permanent´probably more so.

I should think if you are earning your living online for a US company, and are going to be spending your $ in Mexico, that they'd be glad to have you. But then, I don't make those decisions.

The Mexican government does not care where you work. It just wants evidence of six months income at the required level. Without that they want a lot more than $25,000 in investments. BTW, congrats on the savings/investments. It is an impressive start.

Thanks. Per the inmigracion website for the visa temporal,  "Original y copia de comprobante de inversiones o cuentas bancarias con saldo promedio mensual equivalente a cinco mil días de salario mínimo general vigente en el Distrito Federal, durante los últimos doce meses" 

The minimum wage is now 88.36 pesos, so 5000 dias would be a monthly average balance of  $23,751 USD

The person I know  who works on line for a US company here in Mexico, or when up north in the US,  for all practical purposes could be in any country as long as he has an internet and telephone connection to the US. He makes survey calls to different places in the US and provides the results therefrom to a US business. That business sends his salary to his US bank account and he is taxed only in the US. I presume but do not know that what he is doing is perfectly legal. He says it is.

4 hours ago, MtnMama said:

There is something you are missing and I don't know enough to figure it out. Rather than asking a bunch of folks on a Web Board, I would invest a few dollars and contact an immigration attorney to get an accurate answer.

I agree with this very wise posting.

11 hours ago, johanson said:

The person I know  who works on line for a US company here in Mexico, or when up north in the US,  for all practical purposes could be in any country as long as he has an internet and telephone connection to the US. He makes survey calls to different places in the US and provides the results therefrom to a US business. That business sends his salary to his US bank account and he is taxed only in the US. I presume but do not know that what he is doing is perfectly legal. He says it is.

100% legal. I have had clients as young as 23 who have been preapproved for visas. In San Miguel  many clients are in their thirties and forties and a surprising number have children in school.

Yes, the changes in immigration rules were always supposed to be to attract skilled workers such as yourself. They ruled in retirement, because it was already in motion. Most major countries, including Canada and the U.S.A., do not accept full time, retirement visas.

The first entry in this forum is by Intercasa 1028 income requirements

VISA REQUIREMENTS AT MEXICAN CONSULATES OUTSIDE MEXICO:
To qualify for the temporary visa they must show a monthly income of 300 times the minimum wage (for 2018 it is 88.36 pesos) or 26,508 pesos or $1,369 US dollars using an exchange rate of 19.37 to 1 (using January 3, 2018 exchange rate). This must be documented with 6 months bank statements. People who have liquid assets may qualify showing that they have maintained an average balance of 5,000 times the minimum wage (for 2018 it is 80.36 pesos) or 441,800 pesos or $22,808 US dollars using an exchange rate of 19.37 to 1 (using January 3, 2018 exchange rate). This must be documented with 12 months bank statements.

To qualify for the permanent visa they must show a monthly income of 500 times the minimum wage (for 2018 it is 88.36 pesos) or 44,180 pesos or $2,281 US dollars using an exchange rate of 19.37 to 1 (using January 3, 2018 exchange rate). This must be documented with 6 months bank statements. People who have liquid assets may qualify showing that they have maintained an average balance of 20,000 times the minimum wage (for 2018 it is 88.36 pesos) or 1,767,200 pesos or $91,233 US dollars using an exchange rate of 19.37 to 1 (using January 3, 2018 exchange rate). This must be documented with 12 months bank statements. It has been reported to us that in the past there was no minimum age limit on people applying for permanent visas but now many have reported that consulates are asking to see pension or retirement income in order to apply for the permanent visa or they are not giving them to people who are under 50 or 60 years old if at all. Shop around as consulates have different internal guidelines and if you are in this situation it pays to make some calls.

Archived