Chapala.com Webboard

Who is Moreno?

Kyle

From Wikipedia:

MORENA was founded by López Obrador as a cross-party organization supporting his candidacy for the Presidency in the 2012 general election.[8] After the election, López Obrador left his former party, the Party of the Democratic Revolution (PRD), and MORENA transformed from an unofficial 'movement' into a political party (with López Obrador as its leader).[9]

23 minutes ago, Canyon Wren said:

This is a very interesting op-ed on López Obrador of the Morena party in today's NYT.  I'm firmly on the left side of the political spectrum in my own country, but I don't know about this guy... https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/07/opinion/mexico-election-lopez-obrador.html

I thought I had heard he is very much anti American when it comes to American companies being in Mexico.  

He is the Bernie Sanders of Mexico. He is a populist, and a great speaker. He claims that he wants to get rid of Nafta, because the international corporations are using Mexico as a form of corporate welfare. If the economy tanks in 2018/19 - I don't think you will hearing much of this anymore.

37 minutes ago, Canyon Wren said:

This is a very interesting op-ed on López Obrador of the Morena party in today's NYT.  I'm firmly on the left side of the political spectrum in my own country, but I don't know about this guy... https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/07/opinion/mexico-election-lopez-obrador.html

Notice who is a large shareholder in the New York Times.

Owner(s) The New York Times Company
(Carlos Slim (17%))

Google his name. He is very anti-AMLO and therefor very biased.

It is believed AMLO won the election 12 years ago when he "lost" by .6%. Mexico's election are very corrupt starting with vote buying of millions of voters. Soriana gift cards, small appliances, money, etc is given for a copy of voter's ID voter card allowing a party to cast a vote in their favor. Hundreds of thousands are signed up as being members of a party including myself allowing these parties with your ID to vote on your behalf. 

Easy answer, a bit over half of Mexico.

No, not anything like Bernie Sanders. He makes this old progressive very nervous. He wants to reverse the two changes I think have been positive, the break up of the very corrupt Teacher's Union and the privatization of the oil industry. Change for change sake or to wipe out your predecessor's legacy is rarely wise.

Read  like an attack piece from a PANista to me.  

Not much use to have voter ID if you don't require the voter to show up in person to vote.  Defeats the whole purpose.

That comment about Morena I wonder about especially since one of the local PRIistas apparently will be running for Chapala Presidente as the candidate of Morena.  We won't go into what happened to municipal debt and services when he was a PRIista Presidente of Chapala.  :)

Mr. López Obrador has surrounded himself with politicians and union leaders formerly of the P.R.I. who were directly involved in gross acts of corruption. 

.Movimiento Regeneración Nacional  = MO RE NA  nothing to do with moreno..

Corruption in politics,, that is not new. Lots of opportunists will switch but they do that anyways and people know that.  The good part about the local policitcs is that when you know the man like people now this candidate, people will vote for the man rather than the party.. it is different in national elections.

Just because one person will vote fo AMLO does not mean that same person will vote for MORENA in the local elections.

7 hours ago, Canyon Wren said:

The Times op-ed is obviously biased against AMLO and amazingly distorted and misleading in its presentation of the facts. Don't base your opinion of AMLO according to this article.

Archived