Chapala.com Webboard

Who Is this AMLO guy?

alex45920

Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador (AMLO) is the current front-runner in the upcoming Mexican presidential election. Here's an analysis of AMLO and the election from John Ackerman, a well-respected academic and journalist...and ardent supporter of AMLO's candidacy.

While I've come to feel Mexico needs a drastic change from the same old same old PRI/PAN failure and corruption one needs to keep in mind this particular source has a very definite bias.  From Wikipedia:

Ackerman is an activist for left-wing and causes.

He is an active supporter of National Regeneration Movement, a political party, and its leader Andrés Manuel López Obrador.[1][2][3]

Ackerman defended the government of Nicolas Maduro, saying Venezuela was "much more democratic and respectful of human rights than Mexico".[2][3][4] In the same article, published on La Jornada on 27 March 2017, Ackerman claims there is no electoral fraud in Venezuela, that there is constant media censorship in Mexico, that there are more political prisoners in Mexico than in any other Latin American country and that there is a clear separation of branches of government in Venezuela.[5] He also claimed that Mexico is worse off than Venezuela in terms of corruption, poverty, inequality and violence.[5]

I'd wonder about anyone with those views about Venezuela.  If you listen to this video, the bias of the individual is pretty obvious in the languaging he uses.  He is anything but a dispassionate and impartial observer of this election.

Having noted that I've come to feel nothing less than a real shakeup is going to get this country moving forward again and reverse this explosion of corruption and crime we've seen here since the last election.  Particularly if AMLO is able to do nothing more than houseclean the corrupt bureaucracies of the Federal government and use its powers to lock up a bunch of the corrupt governors of many if not most of the states here that would be a great accomplishment.  He could start with Meade whose agency managed to lose millions under his "management."

The elected legislature which Morena will not have anything approaching a controlling vote in isn't about to let AMLO turn Mexico into another Venezuela and frankly when you look at his history that claim is pretty nonsensical.  I can't quite figure out his plan for dealing with crime and the cartels, however.  As the border tightens and the crackdown on drug money takes greater hold it appears to me the cartel criminals are increasingly preying on the people of Mexico.  They can't be ignored.

Last time I checked Mexicans aren't eating their pets because they are starving under someone like Madero and living in anyplace nearly as desperate as Venezuela.  That Mr. Ackerman apparently things people are better off under that regime does not engender my confidence in his powers of judgment or observation .  You will notice this very sympathetic interview didn't bring up this rather unique viewpoint and ask Mr. Ackerman to justify it.

Archived