Chapala.com Webboard

Message from Shaw satellite TV service

cedros

I just got the following message from Shaw. I'm not sure what it is all about.

"We’re making major upgrades to our network and when completed, nearly all your channels will be HD.1

Some of your equipment will not be fully compatible and needs to be replaced by June 5, 2018 to avoid losing up to 54 channels.

To find out if your equipment is compatible, you need to:

1. Turn on your TV, press GUIDE on your remote and go to channel 988.

2. Repeat this step, for each TV you have. Take note of how many new satellite receivers you’ll need.

3. Once you’re done, chat with us online to purchase your Essential HD receiver.2 Mention promo code 1195."

The 600 and 800 series of receivers from Shaw are fully compatible; however, the third satellite they started using does not reach us here. So right now it is a waiting game, as the newer bird is being utilized for HD channels and improved throughput. Our channels will only "disappear" if they decide to move them off the original two satellites. The boxes themselves will not crap out.

Thanks. Not to worry for while anyway. They wanted me to go on chat but I don't have all my information for that handy. 

VPN....  Virtual Private Network. Or in other words it is either some software or hardware that one can buy that makes it look like you are somewhere else... or said differently NOT in Mexico. People us this, say, for Netflix which will not stream if they know you are in Mexico.

With respect to Shaw,  you could get a VPN that would make it look to them like you were in Canada.... which is the only place that one can legally receive their TV signal. 

Archived